+ Reply to Thread
    Released Outright

Slotted Bonuses for Draft Choices

What is the deal with these 'slotted bonuses' that the Comissioner's office is enforcing based on the round a guys is drafted? Is this part of the CBA? If not, I'm surprised that agents such as Scott Boras have not challenged this, as it is designed to hold the line on signing bonuses for draft choices. I read that the approval of MLB is needed in order to offer a draftee more than the alloted signing bonus designated by where he is drafted. For example, I read somewhere that the Yankees and 4th round draft choice Steve White have agreed to a deal, but it is being held up pending approval of the MLB office since the Yanks offered him more than the alotted bonus money for a 4th round draft choice. Yanks also had to get a 500,000 bonus approved in order to sign 6th rounder Jason Stephens. Can anyone provide more insight into this?

i read something about this recently, but don't remember where. if it's true though, then bard was truly a wasted pick, no? because no way he signs for whatever bonus mlb has slotted for the 20th round...

NYYF Legend

Re: Slotted Bonuses for Draft Choices

Originally posted by Tbird10
    What is the deal with these 'slotted bonuses' that the Comissioner's office is enforcing based on the round a guys is drafted? Is this part of the CBA? If not, I'm surprised that agents such as Scott Boras have not challenged this, as it is designed to hold the line on signing bonuses for draft choices. I read that the approval of MLB is needed in order to offer a draftee more than the alloted signing bonus designated by where he is drafted. For example, I read somewhere that the Yankees and 4th round draft choice Steve White have agreed to a deal, but it is being held up pending approval of the MLB office since the Yanks offered him more than the alotted bonus money for a 4th round draft choice. Yanks also had to get a 500,000 bonus approved in order to sign 6th rounder Jason Stephens. Can anyone provide more insight into this?
    The agents may be preparing a colusion case against MLB.

NYYF MVP

It seems to be a method of maintaining competitive balance, preventing teams like the Yankees taking someone (Baird in the 20th) in a late round who probably won't sign for the pittance allowed because of further year(s) of eligability.
    However, from what I've read, this is not a hard and fast rule. There is nothing to stop the team from paying out a bigger bonus than is allowed, however this would bring MLB down on them. Can't see why this would stop George though.
    I've also read that this is expected to be challenged by AGENTS, who see it as detrimental to their livelihoods.
    Personally, there are a lot of rules over here in professional sports that I consider illegal. Take the draft itself. While I can see that it spreads talent out, it denies the player the right to choose where he works. I mean, if I want a job, I apply to the company I want to work for. Why can't they?
    Also, at the end of some contracts, there is the whole "arbitration eligible" thing, which essentially means that despite the fact that the contract was finished, the club holds the rights to the player(at least this is how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong). A similar issue was contested by a Dutch soccer player in Europe several years ago and led to the "Bosman" ruling, which basically states that at the end of a contract, the player is free to do whatever he likes.

NYYF Legend

If we knew this going in then we wasted a lot of picks.

I can't believe MLB is this freakin' stupid. Oh wait, yes I can, Bud Selig is the commissioner.
    Fire Cashman!

I don't think that the bonus has to be approved by the commissioner's office. That is not legal and you're right, if this was the case the MLBPA would freak out and the collusion battles would start. With that being said, the owners have been known to get together before the draft and come up with slotted draft payouts. I know that Steinbrenner has been opposed to this practice. Why should other owners from losing teams dictate what Steinbrenner pays to get talent? I know of one agent who told a kid exactly what the team would offer because he knew of the owners' strategy on slotted bonuses. He was offered that exact amount as an opening bonus figure.

NYYF Legend

I was told that George was at the draft and he had his hand in it.I also heard that after the draft Bud did warn the Yanks and a few other teams they have to controll there bonuses.I hope George doesn't listen and signs Bard and Purcey.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    I was told that George was at the draft and he had his hand in it.I also heard that after the draft Bud did warn the Yanks and a few other teams they have to controll there bonuses.I hope George doesn't listen and signs Bard and Purcey.
    The Yankees were told to wait until all first round picks were signed or until August before going out of the slot money.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by Michaels07

The Yankees were told to wait until all first round picks were signed or until August before going out of the slot money.
    Where did you hear that one Michaels?

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Tbird10

Where did you hear that one Michaels?
    About two weeks ago in some newspaper.

NYYF Legend

You know Its strange the way its done because you figure that some picks lower then say even 20 will command and recieve 7 figures to sign as D&F's.I guess I can understand the logic behind waiting.What needs to be done though is some rule put to paper so people know were they stand.

Originally posted by Michaels07

That in and of itself is probably illegal.
    Fire Cashman!

Learn why slotted bonuses were enacted and about the ultimate control baseball has over players on and off the field.

My Baseball Story - Tampering, Slotted Bonuses, & Ultimate Control

http://mattbruback.blogspot.com/

Please share this story so we can provide a better future for up and coming ball players.
    Last edited by srqoriole; 07-06-12 at 01:37 PM.

NYYF MVP

Wow, 9 year old thread.

That's dedication right there.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    That's dedication right there.
    Someone has to tell the story how American players are getting screwed by the institution of slotted bonuses! Slotted bonuses limit a players ability to negotiate and their signing bonus.

Keep this thread alive and share so the fans wake up to how MLB has been screwing American ball players. MLB has saved tens of millions of dollars over the past 11 years and it's time for the players to get what they deserve not what MLB thinks is best for their pocketbooks!

Why are foreign players not subject to the draft?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srqoriole View Post
    Someone has to tell the story how American players are getting screwed by the institution of slotted bonuses! Slotted bonuses limit a players ability to negotiate and their signing bonus.

Keep this thread alive and share so the fans wake up to how MLB has been screwing American ball players. MLB has saved tens of millions of dollars over the past 11 years and it's time for the players to get what they deserve not what MLB thinks is best for their pocketbooks!

Why are foreign players not subject to the draft?
    The latest CBA also limits how much teams can spend on international free agents.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I think the system is fine.

Why should guys get rich for playing HS or college ball and doing little.

This way they earn the crazy money they eventually get.

Yankees owe AROD like 150 million more and he's worth about 50 million over the next 5-6 years.

At least let the kids who have done little, earn it.

Screw the Agents.

The time has come to share the story about why slotted bonuses were created! Have you ever heard of Slotted Bonuses? If not, this is a must know for all coaches, parents and news media who love the game of baseball as slotted bonuses directly affect an amateur players ability to negotiate a fair contract and signing bonus. Only American ball players are limited by the current draft and slotted bonus system which is blatantly unfair to American ball players.

Please read the article below from John Perrotto who is a national writer for Baseball Prospectus.com and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America and thus one of the voters for the Baseball Hall of Fame and other annual Major League Baseball awards.

Article:

Web address: http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...d74e82136.html

Quote from article...

"Bruback has lived an interesting life since his short-lived time in the Pirates' farm system.

In 2006, he created a weighted therapy belt (www.miraclebelt.com) that helps increase body awareness for infants and children with development disorders. Bruback also has a blog (mlb-tampering.blogspot.com) in which he writes about his belief that his career path was altered because he angered Major League Baseball by receiving a $765,000 signing bonus.

The bonus led to MLB developing its current slotting system to hold down money going to draft picks.

The MLB lawyer who devised the slotting system was Frank Coonelly. Today, he is the Pirates' club president and has given general manager Neal Huntington the go-ahead to seek trades that would add to the payroll like the one that has brought Rodriguez to Pittsburgh.

My, how times have changed."

For more information about My Baseball Story please visit http://mlb-tampering.blogspot.com

My goal is to help as many children with developmental disabilities as possible and share the story about how Major League Baseball puts profits over players!
    Last edited by srqoriole; 07-25-12 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spacing issues

Thread Information