+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Benches Empty In Cards Game after Tino gets Plunked.

Following a homer by Edmonds and a fly out by Pujols, De Los Santos did a Benitez and drilled Tino squarely in the back. No punches were thrown but Tino was removed for a pinch runner....

Wonder why Santos didn't drill Pujols instead...

Because the pitcher is a wuss.

Why is Tino always the Designated Hittee?

If I was on the Cards, I'd rush the mound too.
    Last edited by Rich; 06-18-03 at 02:35 AM.
    Fire Cashman!

He was nailed. You could tell Tino was in real pain. I never understood people drilling someone other than the guy that hit the HR. Poor Tino.

Tino - The Yankees would've been on the field alot faster to back you up than the Cards, that's for sure.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Alex
    I never understood people drilling someone other than the guy that hit the HR.
    Even then, the only time the hitter should be nailed is if the pitcher felt he was showed up. Otherwise, it's just a bull................ move by the pitcher. (I didn't see the play so I don't know if Edmonds did any Bonds-type antics) Hopefully Santos gets to bat against the Cards in the future and the Cards' pitcher has some testicles.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Originally posted by #1PaFan

(I didn't see the play so I don't know if Edmonds did any Bonds-type antics) Hopefully Santos gets to bat against the Cards in the future and the Cards' pitcher has some testicles.
    They didn't show Edmonds rounding the bases, but he's not the type of player to show anyone up...even the Baseball Tonight guys said this was probably intentional -- that is a bull................ move -- this de los Santos seems like a real punk. &po'd& ...down by a lot of runs, frustrated and intentionally drills someone with a fastball to the back -- what a punk. &po'd&

I doubt they wait for de los Santos to bat...they'll hit Sexson or someone during this series...

First - Benitez, that m-fer choker that people actually want the Yankees to trade for - he drills Tino in the back and lord knows he was never the same again.

Today, he looked like he was in real pain and I wanted to jump through the TV and punch that ass-wipe in the face.

I was extremely dissapointed how long it took the Cards to back him up. If he were a Yankee, I think they would've been out there much much faster.

NYYF HOF

Man Tino is just a whipping boy. Gotta feel for him.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

What a BS move by this guy. Poor Tino.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Originally posted by Alex
    I was extremely dissapointed how long it took the Cards to back him up. If he were a Yankee, I think they would've been out there much much faster.
    I didn't see it so I don't know how fast they ran out there but I think you're right that the Yankees would have been there in a heartbeat. Tino's been a Cardinal for a while now but he hasn't done as much with them as he did as a Yankee and as much as they like Tino I think that makes a difference.

I feel bad for Tino that he always seems to be getting hit like this. &po'd&

-Deborah

Owner of a coconut bra. Yankchic22's Avatar
    Originally posted by silverdsl
    I didn't see it so I don't know how fast they ran out there but I think you're right that the Yankees would have been there in a heartbeat.
    Thats cause Tino faught back when he was a Yankee. Last night, he was in too much pain at first to fight back. I think thats why his teammated took a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Oh yeah, things are always better when Randi's around.

The Source

Fastball Knocks Wes Helms Out of Game
    1 hour, 14 minutes ago
    By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_helms_hurt_1

MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee third baseman Wes Helms (news) was knocked out of the Brewers' game against St. Louis on Wednesday night when right-hander Jason Simontacchi plunked him in the left knee with a fastball.

X-rays were negative on Helms, who had to be helped off the field in the second inning. The team said he had a bruised knee and was day-to-day.

The Brewers said before the game that they were expecting retaliation after Milwaukee reliever Valerio De Los Santos (news) hit Tino Martinez (news) in the back with a fastball on Tuesday night.

Martinez had a welt and wasn't in the lineup Wednesday night.

De Los Santos insisted he didn't intentionally hit Martinez after a home run by Jim Edmonds (news) and a flyball to the warning track by Albert Pujols in the sixth inning of St. Louis's 12-3 victory.

The Brewers were expecting one of their stars to get hit, although the consensus was that slugger Richie Sexson (news) would get plunked, not Helms.

"We know it's coming," manager Ned Yost said during batting practice. "De-Lo swears he didn't do it on purpose, but you can't convince anybody of that.

"If Richie doesn't get hit in his first at-bat, I'll be totally surprised."

Sexson flied out in the first inning, when none of Simontacchi's pitches came close to him.

With Milwaukee trailing 8-0 in the second, Helms was struck by a 1-0 fastball and stayed down for more than a minute before being helped from the field by two trainers.

Plate umpire Marvin Hudson didn't warn either bench afterward.

Cairo Breaks Hand Bone When Hit by Pitch
    12 minutes ago
    By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_helms_hurt_3

MILWAUKEE - St. Louis Cardinals (news) second baseman Miguel Cairo (news), who has been subbing for an injured Fernando Vina (news), fractured a bone in his left hand Wednesday night when he was hit by a fastball from right-hander Dan Kolb in the sixth inning.

The Cardinals did not say how long Cairo could be out.

His plunking followed one by right-hander Jason Simontacchi on Milwaukee third baseman Wes Helms (news), who was knocked out of the game in the second inning.

X-rays were negative on Helms, who had to be helped off the field in the second inning. The team said he had a bruised knee and was day-to-day.

Kolb was making his Brewers and NL debut when he struck Cairo. The Cardinals said Cairo fractured the fifth metacarpal bone.

The Brewers said before the game that they were expecting retaliation after Milwaukee reliever Valerio De Los Santos (news) hit Tino Martinez (news) in the back with a fastball on Tuesday night.

Martinez had a welt and wasn't in the lineup Wednesday night.

De Los Santos insisted he didn't intentionally hit Martinez after a home run by Jim Edmonds (news) and a flyball to the warning track by Albert Pujols in the sixth inning of the Cardinals' 12-3 victory.

The Brewers were expecting one of their stars to get hit, although the consensus was that slugger Richie Sexson (news) would get plunked, not Helms.

"We know it's coming," manager Ned Yost said during batting practice. "De-Lo swears he didn't do it on purpose, but you can't convince anybody of that.

"If Richie doesn't get hit in his first at-bat, I'll be totally surprised."

Sexson flied out in the first inning, when none of Simontacchi's pitches came close to him.

With Milwaukee trailing 8-0 in the second, Helms was struck by a 1-0 fastball and stayed down for more than a minute before being helped from the field by two trainers.

Plate umpire Marvin Hudson didn't warn either bench afterward.

I had thought it would be Sexson too...now they lost Cairo -- that doesn't seem quite fair....grrrr! &po'd&

one more thing -- I read today that the pitch he plunked Tino with was clocked at 95mph...effin punk. &po'd&

this article had some interesting quotes -- the Brewers didn't think Helms was hit on purpose...it would be weird to do it so early in the game so that makes sense...but when they threw at Simo's head, I guess they had enough...

The Brewers think the slate is clean now -- after losing Cairo, the Cards may not feel the same...I wonder what Yost meant when he said if all circumstances were known, no one would accuse him of hitting Tino on purpose. What does that mean?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...rt+with+a+rush

Cards score a KO, but take some shots
    By JOE STRAUSS Post-Dispatch
    updated: 06/19/2003 06:54 AM

Pitchers were evaluated a little differently Wednesday night at Miller Park. Pitch count included balls, strikes and intent.

A game that carried meaning beyond the score went the Cardinals' way, 9-1, against the Milwaukee Brewers in front of a restive crowd of 17,495. The Cardinals led 8-0 before the Brewers batted in the second inning. As one game all but ended, a subtler one began.

Not only did Cardinals starter Jason Simontacchi (5-4) gain the win with seven solid innings, he handled a potentially combustible situation left over from Tuesday night's 12-3 win in which first baseman Tino Martinez was hit by Brewers lefthander Valerio De Los Santos in the sixth inning. Simontacchi hit the Brewers' Wes Helms on the knee in the second inning.

Wednesday, the Cardinals pounded seven Brewers pitchers for 13 hits and two Brewers batters with pitches off the left knee and the back.

Whether intentional or not, Brewers righthander Dan Kolb made his National League debut by breaking a bone in second baseman Miguel Cairo's left hand with a fastball on a sixth-inning pitch, the same inning Simontacchi saw another Kolb pitch zip by his head.

In the eighth inning, Brewers center fielder Scott Podsednik took a pitch to the back from reliever Cal Eldred.

"After the incident with Tino last night we knew that somebody on our team was going to get hit," Helms said. "But I don't think it was me. It was a sinker that sunk about a foot and a half. He just hit me in the wrong spot." Helms won't be in today's lineup because of his deep bruise.

"The one on 'Pod' - you know that one was intentional. Now the slate should be clean. Tomorrow's game should be clean."

Plate umpire Marvin Hudson warned both benches after Eldred hit Podsednik.

"We were just pitching - outside, inside. A ball got away. That's it," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said.

The bruised Cardinals left with Cairo headed to the disabled list. Kolb drilled him with a fastball that rode inside, smacking his bottom hand. The Cardinals already lost Gold Glove second baseman Fernando Vina last month for eight to 12 weeks with a torn tendon in his right hamstring. They will probably replace Cairo with a non-roster infielder, Bill Selby or Bo Hart, from Class AAA Memphis.

"That's a big loss," said right fielder Eduardo Perez, the game's offensive catalyst with three early hits, including a second-inning home run, worth two runs batted in. "We're going to have to see how we do without him. We're 25 guys but we've got a lot of guys on the shelf. Everybody's going to have to play hard. Somebody is going to have to step up and just be themselves, not be somebody else."

When not dodging fastballs, the Cardinals got four hits from first baseman Albert Pujols, who hiked his average to a major league-best .386. Shortstop Edgar Renteria and left fielder Orlando Palmeiro had two hits apiece. Simontacchi batted twice before Brewers cleanup hitter Geoff Jenkins appeared for his first at-bat. Brewers starting pitcher Glendon Rusch (1-11) lasted only one-plus inning before being booed from the field with his 10th consecutive loss.

The Cardinals were reluctant to discuss Wednesday's body count. Martinez waved off questions Wednesday after reminding that La Russa "controls" all issues related to retaliation.

Said Brewers manager Ned Yost: "I don't think they hit Wes on purpose. I know we didn't hit Cairo on purpose. I'm not so sure about Podsednik. After last night, who knows?"

Eldred described his inside fastball as "just pitching" and noted that his first pitch to Podsednik was outside.

"I wasn't expecting it," Podsednik said. "But after (Eldred) nailed me in the back, I knew it was intentional. That's the way it goes. That's baseball."
    Intent is in the eye of the beholder, but the Cardinals had no doubt Tuesday night that De Los Santos intentionally hit Martinez, causing both benches to empty without an altercation.

Yost defended his reliever Wednesday, saying if all circumstances were known, no one would accuse De Los Santos of intentionally hitting Martinez. Yost would not specify those circumstances. Beforehand, La Russa reiterated his opposition to gratuitous retaliation, especially if umpires have warned both benches. Risking a starting pitcher to a 10-day suspension, La Russa argued, is not worth a knee-jerk response.

Simontacchi appeared for his fourth at-bat three hitters after Cairo had been hit. Kolb's second pitch buzzed him, causing the Cardinals righthander to glare at the mound and complain to Hudson.

"(Catcher Eddie) Perez told me, 'We're not trying to hit you,'" Simontacchi said. "I said that's fine. But at the same time, you don't need to be going to the head. You're not talking about someone's career. You're talking about someone's life."

Wednesday's back and forth didn't detract from perhaps Simontacchi's second-best start this season. Winning his fourth game since May 28, Simontacchi allowed only seven hits in seven innings.

If he once wobbled on the verge of a demotion to Class AAA Memphis, Simontacchi (5-4) has righted himself by allowing 12 earned runs in his last 28 innings pitched, a 3.86 ERA. Combined with strong work by Kiko Calero and Garrett Stephenson the previous two games, Cardinals starters have allowed only four earned runs in 15 innings (2.40 ERA) in this series. One night after factions of his clubhouse threatened mutiny when not defended, Simontacchi also may have elevated his standing in other, less tangible ways.

Thread Information