+ Reply to Thread
    Released Outright

Which two guys are playing on the SAME TEAM the longest today?

My son told me about this yesterday.
    Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio have been on the Astros for 13 years.
    That is the longest for team-mates on one team in the Majors today,
    This is the way things USE TO BE in baseball. This shows me that it CAN BE DONE. You don't have to live your life for MONEY ALONE.
    I can go back 30 years and name every player on the Yankees. How many teams can you do that with today?
    Most of these guys play for 4 or 5 teams. I really have to give credit to YAZ. He had many offers, but said, "the hell with MORE money, I will stay on the Redsox."
    That is a FAMILY MAN!
    That is......MY KIND OF MAN!
    Know who had that kind of class?
    JOE D

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Barry Larkin has been w/Cincy f/17 seasons, and this is his 18th. Of course, he doesn't have a teammate that long.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

The Source

Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    Barry Larkin has been w/Cincy f/17 seasons, and this is his 18th. Of course, he doesn't have a teammate that long.
    That was the whole point of this thread. Teammates playing the longest together.

Regarding Bags and Biggio, when they talked with them on the pre-game last week, they said that they are constantly getting mistaken for each other. To which they always reply, "no I'm the other one, the better looking one."

Addicted Member

Originally posted by Carissa

Regarding Bags and Biggio, when they talked with them on the pre-game last week, they said that they are constantly getting mistaken for each other.
    Ummm, how would this ever happen? The only similarity seems to be 2 arms and two legs. Bagwell is built like a truck, Biggio is a twig in comparison.

That was the whole point of this thread. Teammates playing the longest together.

Regarding Bags and Biggio, when they talked with them on the pre-game last week, they said that they are constantly getting mistaken for each other. To which they always reply, "no I'm the other one, the better looking one."
    Brad's Rule #1: never quote me before I've had my coffee yet!!!

Jeff Bagwell, 6-0, 215:

Craig Biggio, 5-11, 185:

I don't happen to see the similarity.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Owner of a coconut bra. Yankchic22's Avatar
    They have the same nose
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Oh yeah, things are always better when Randi's around.

Released Outright

JERSEY YANKEE

Thanks for adding those pictures to the post.
    Vince

Re: JERSEY YANKEE

Originally posted by VINCENZO
    Thanks for adding those pictures to the post.
    Vince
    De nada. Bagwell looks much more stocky, while Biggio looks leaner w/regular build. There's also the minor issue of the goatee, so if someone's seen them before, I still think they'd realize it was someone else.

There's also demeanor, since Bagwell looks like he'd bowl you over in a fight, and Biggio looks like he'd run and get Bagwell!!!

Interestingly, Whitey Ford (1950, 53-67) and Mickey Mantle (1951-68) were probably the longest-playing Yankee teammates who went onto the HOF (1953-67 = 15 years). Whitey, upon missing his 1st ballot said he appreciated it, since he could then go into Cooperstown w/his good buddy Mickey Mantle, which they did in 1974!!!

Devoted Member

The next best I've been able to come up with is Maddux and Chipper Jones, who are now in their 9th year on the same team. Wow, this is tough.

Edit: Smoltz and Maddux are in year 11 together.

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Which two guys are playing on the SAME TEAM the longest today?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VINCENZO
    [.
    I can go back 30 years and name every player on the Yankees. How many teams can you do that with today?

Naming the ' 73 Yankees. Ouch, that can't be a pleasant memory.

Well, had O'Neill not retired, he and Bernie had been in Pinstripes for nine years together. Now I would think you could also look to Bernie, Andy, and Mo (and technically Derek and Jorge); this is their eighth season together. Gotta be the record for three (sorta five) guys today.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

I think Bagwell says "I'm the taller one" and Biggio says "I'm the better looking one"

Released Outright
    Originally posted by penguin4
    Well, had O'Neill not retired, he and Bernie had been in Pinstripes for nine years together. Now I would think you could also look to Bernie, Andy, and Mo (and technically Derek and Jorge); this is their eighth season together. Gotta be the record for three (sorta five) guys today.
    9th

Released Outright

PENGUIN4

Good post. Gets you to thinking.....I wonder what the record is for 8 starters. Needless to say they don't have to have the same line-up every year. But..8 guys playing for the same team?
    I will take a stab and say it's held by the ole Brooklyn Dodgers. Why?
    That ownership believed in giving a guy the JOB and keeping him there come hell or high water. Just look up the record on the old teams. It's too long to go into, BUT I COULD GIVE YOU EVERY POSISTION. And I hated this team.
    Second choice would be the old Yankee teams. Just look at the pitching. Raschi, Reynolds, Ford, and Joe Page in the pen.
    Elston, Yogi, Johnson at third, Phil at short, Kubek, Richardson, McQuinn, Mickey, Joe, Henrich, Bauer, Mapes, Woodling.etc.
    Those were the good old days. You hit it big with one team...YOU STAYED ON THAT TEAM.

NYYF HOF

Bagwell & Biggio could make a run at the all time record, 18 years in Detroit for Whitaker & Trammel
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

Thread Information