+ Reply to Thread

Luis Sojo making a comeback?

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...SECTION=SPORTS

Apr 24, 6:38 AM EDT

Report: Luis Sojo to Attempt Comeback

NEW YORK (AP) -- Luis Sojo hopes to play in the major leagues again after a successful stint as a manager in the minors last season, Newsday reported Thursday.

The 38-year-old Sojo, who won four World Series titles as a utility infielder with the New York Yankees, retired right before last season after he was told he wouldn't make the big league team out of spring training.

He took over as manager of the Yankees' Double-A affiliate in May, leading Norwich to an Eastern League title.

Sojo plans to begin his comeback in the Mexican League to see if he can attract interest from a major league team. He told the newspaper he spoke with Mexican League clubs and thought he was close to a deal with one, but wouldn't identify it.

"There's no doubt in my mind, if somebody called me, I'd do it," Sojo told the newspaper. "I still think I can do it."

NYYF Legend

Re: Luis Sojo making a comeback?

Originally posted by A_Nussblood
    ["There's no doubt in my mind, if somebody called me, I'd do it," Sojo told the newspaper. "I still think I can do it."
    I think he can too.

I loved Luis.
    But my mother is his biggest fan, believe it or not.
    She absolutely beamed whenever he was on camera.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Good luck to him. Hope to see him sometime soon in the majors.

newsday.com 4/24/03

Sojo Drops Managing to Try Comeback

By Ken Davidoff

Anaheim, Calif. - The Yankees thought they had a stud prospect in their farm system last year. But Luis Sojo, who managed the Yankees' Double-A affiliate Norwich to an Eastern League championship, opted against returning to the manager's office in 2003.

Sojo still hopes to manage in the major leagues someday, but the Yankees' former utility infielder has a more immediate goal: To return to the big leagues as a player. He plans to begin playing in the Mexican League shortly to see if he attracts any interest.

"There's no doubt in my mind, if somebody called me, I'd do it," Sojo, part of the Yankees' 1996 and 1998-2000 championship teams, said yesterday from his Miami area home. "I still think I can do it."

Sojo, 38, planned to leave Florida today for his native Venezuela, where he intended to work out for a couple of weeks. He said he has been speaking with clubs from the Mexican League and thought he was close to a deal with one, although he wouldn't identify the team.

Even as he managed Norwich last year, Sojo fielded ground balls before every game. The Yankees released him at the end of their 2002 spring training, and he decided to retire rather than play for another team.

He still has the itch, though. The Mexican League is considered Triple-A caliber, but it's unaffiliated with major-league clubs. Even if Sojo can't find work in the majors, he wants to stay in shape so he can play next winter in Venezuela. He needs 116 hits, he said, to reach 1,000 for his winter ball career. Only five other Venezuelan players have attained that milestone.

Copyright 2003, Newsday, Inc.

Go Luis

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Report: Sojo to attempt comeback at age 38

April 24, 2003
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Luis Sojo hopes to play in the major leagues again after a successful stint as a manager in the minors last season, Newsday reported Thursday.

The 38-year-old Sojo, who won four World Series titles as a utility infielder with the New York Yankees, retired right before last season after he was told he wouldn't make the big league team out of spring training.

He took over as manager of the Yankees' Double-A affiliate in May, leading Norwich to an Eastern League title.

Sojo plans to begin his comeback in the Mexican League to see if he can attract interest from a major league team. He told the newspaper he spoke with Mexican League clubs and thought he was close to a deal with one, but wouldn't identify it.

``There's no doubt in my mind, if somebody called me, I'd do it,'' Sojo told the newspaper. ``I still think I can do it.''

Updated at Thu, Apr 24 2003, 6:10am ET

NYYF Legend

Maybe he should join Ricky and play in the Atlantic conference with the Newark Bears!

Originally posted by Sixty one
    Maybe he should join Ricky and play in the Atlantic conference with the Newark Bears!

Don't laugh that just might happen ooops I shouldn't have laughed

goof-off to the max. 1-2-3 inning's Avatar
    I think he can still play, he is a terrific fielder, some team will pick him up. Not to mention he is great in the clubhouse and could teach the younger team members a thing or two. I had the pleasure of meeting him last year when he was with Norwhich. I even have his autograph and he seems like a truly nice person.
    QUICK.

NYYF Legend

I'm sure there is a team out there who could use a guy like Sojo. I wish him the best of luck in his attempted come back to the majors.
    Let's Go Yankees!

I hope Torre doesn't get any ideas. I still can't believe he was on the 2001 post-season roster instead of Nick.

he shoulda been there instead of Enrique Wilson. Louie's the clutchest (is that even a word?) man i've ever seen.

Originally posted by DJeter1287
    I'm sure there is a team out there who could use a guy like Sojo. I wish him the best of luck in his attempted come back to the majors.
    Actually I'm pretty sure there's not. Sojo's a great guy, but the only reason he wasn't forced into retirement earlier was that Joe Torre likes him. He wasn't a good player when he retired, I really doubt he's going to be a good player 3 years later.

newsday.com 4/25/03

Sojo's Status Uncertain

By Ken Davidoff

Luis Sojo might not make a comeback after all. The Yankees announced that they're close to signing their former utility infielder to join them as a roving infield instructor. Reached at his Venezuela home, Sojo said he isn't sure whether he will sign with the Yankees as an instructor or play in Mexico. On Wednesday, he told Newsday he would do the latter.

nydailynews.com 4/25/03

Sojo Redux?

By Anthony McCarron

The Yankees have had discussions with former infielder Luis Sojo about becoming a roving infield instructor in the minor leagues, and Sojo seems interested, said Gordon Blakeley, the Yanks' VP of baseball operations.

"He'd be tremendous at it," Blakeley said from Tampa. "I hope we can get it done in the next week or so. He seemed to want to do it."

Sojo, 38, seems to be considering a lot of offers. A published report yesterday said he was mulling a return to playing and was negotiating with a team in the Mexican League.

All contents 2002 Daily News, L.P.

nypost.com 4/25/03

Soho returning to help infielders

By George King

ANAHEIM - Luis Sojo is very close to rejoining the Yankees organization.

The popular former infielder who managed Norwich (Double-A) to the Eastern League title last summer will be a roving minor-league infield instructor. The deal is expected to be finalized in the next few days.

"He is very good with infielders and he will work with them," minor league head Gordon Blakeley said. "We have been talking to him about a few things. He talked about scouting and working in Venezuela for us, but this fits. Mick Kelleher left [for a coaching job with the Tigers], and we never replaced him."

As a rover, Sojo won't be on the road constantly.

"He has a house in Miami and a house in Venezuela," Blakeley said. "Being a roving instructor he can spend time at home."

Copyright 2003 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by backstop20; 04-25-03 at 04:24 PM.

newsday.com 5/17/03

By Ken Davidoff

Sojo Playing in Mexico

Former Yankees utility infielder Luis Sojo said that he intends to honor his contract to play in the Mexican League, and he'll begin play shortly. Sojo, who managed the Yankees' Double-A affiliate Norwich last year, had some interest in serving as a roving infield instructor for the Yankees. "It's a shame. The Yankees called me on the same day that I signed the contract in Mexico," Sojo said. "But I'll get to play."

NYYF Cy Young

Good luck to Luis. i've always liked Sojo and hope to see him in the majors again soon
    Penn State '12

NYYF Legend

I am in total agreement with Captain Marvel's alter ego. Sojo's best position is retired.

Andy

Thread Information