NYYF Triple Crown

STL, MO--Supposedly Baseball Heaven, but I'll take the Bronx over STL anyday

4 20-game winners??

I don't want to jinx them, and I know its early, but if there ever was a modern-day staff capable of producing 4 20 game winners, I think we have it. All 4 guys have done it before and the offense can certainly support it. How impressive would it be in a 5 man rotation?

GO YANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why not 5?

While even four is very difficult, to say the least, why leave anyone out? All five are certainly capable of it.

IMO, no way in hell. But i could be wrong.. and i'd be happy to be
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Bozidar
    IMO, no way in hell. But i could be wrong.. and i'd be happy to be
    This pace can`t holdup I`ll take two 20 game winners and a CY Young and of course a World Championship.

It won't happen because Joe will keep a control on the innings late in the year when we are already up by 15 games. I will say this. I think Moose finally wins 20 and his first Cy Young.

Released Outright

Wasn't Baltimore the last team to have 4 20-game winners?

In the 70s... they had 4 studs win 20 in one season...right?
    What other teams have done this?
    What other teams have had even 3????!!!

I think the Yanks have had two 20-game winners in my time as a fan.
    Guidry-Figuerora in 1978 (25 & 20)

Guidry-Tommy John another year?

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball
    In 1971 the Orioles had:

Mike Cuellar, 20-9, 3.08
    Pat Dobson, 20-8, 2.90
    Jim Palmer, 20-9, 2.68
    Dave McNally, 21-5, 2.89

I know it has been done once before then, but can't remember when...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Originally posted by Big_E
    In 1971 the Orioles had:

Mike Cuellar, 20-9, 3.08
    Pat Dobson, 20-8, 2.90
    Jim Palmer, 20-9, 2.68
    Dave McNally, 21-5, 2.89

I know it has been done once before then, but can't remember when...
    That is insane!

NYYF MVP

Mt. Vernon, NY/ proudly born in the Bronx
    Originally posted by Big_E
    In 1971 the Orioles had:

Mike Cuellar, 20-9, 3.08
    Pat Dobson, 20-8, 2.90
    Jim Palmer, 20-9, 2.68
    Dave McNally, 21-5, 2.89

Yeah......a lot of good it did them -- then they went on to lose the Series to the Pirates after winning the first 2 games.......

Here's a trivia question -- what trend was started in the 1971 World Series, which had never occurred in any previous Series?

The Orioles did it in the days of the four-man rotation. It would be much more difficult to duplicate the feat in this era.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball
    Originally posted by nicky_d
    Here's a trivia question -- what trend was started in the 1971 World Series, which had never occurred in any previous Series?
    Home team winning first 6 games?
    Team winning first two games of Series at home, and losing WS?

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

First night game, I think.
    BTW, the White Sox had four 20 game winners in 1920, which is the only other time it's happened: Eddie Cicotte, Red Faber, Lefty Williams and Dickie Kerr.
    (You can look it up, as I did.)

Originally posted by Dave in MD
    I will say this. I think Moose finally wins 20 and his first Cy Young.
    I agree. I'm really liking the way Moose is throwing this season so far. He looks like a man on a mission.

It would be wonderful and amazing if the Yankees had four 20 game winners but I doubt it will happen. Sooner or later some of the starter will start to have some bad outings.

-Deborah

I'm wrestling with this. Everybody gets 32 starts if they stay healthy. That leaves 12 starts to lose or not get a decision. If the offense continues to take televised batting practice all season the odds may not be as long as you might think.

never said it would be easy

and it's certainly not likely. A five man rotation makes it even more unlikely than it was, but none of that makes it impossible. But I think the likelihood for winning 20 is pretty evenly distributed among the staff.

As far as the pace goes, while it would be almost impossible to keep winning 17 of 20, I wonder what the final win total will be. If we can do this well with three key players out, only one player (Mondesi) hitting way over his head, and our best hitter in a funk what will it be like when they return and Giambi gets rolling? Matsui will do much better, too.

NYYF MVP

Mt. Vernon, NY/ proudly born in the Bronx

Spiker, you got it....The middle three games of the Series (which were played in Pittsburgh) were played AT NIGHT -- for the first time in World Series history. Over the years since, they gradually decreased the number of world series day games to where they now no longer exist.

Sad, in a way........

Originally posted by Dave in MD
    I will say this. I think Moose finally wins 20 and his first Cy Young.
    I am pulling for to win his first Cy Young as well as his first championship!

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Spiker
    First night game, I think.
    BTW, the White Sox had four 20 game winners in 1920, which is the only other time it's happened: Eddie Cicotte, Red Faber, Lefty Williams and Dickie Kerr.
    (You can look it up, as I did.)
    Say Spiker Didn`t The Yankess have his nephew Al Cicotte a lefty at one time?

Owner of a coconut bra. Yankchic22's Avatar
    Its something I have been thinking since the beginning of the season. Moose I think has a great chance to make a run for the Cy Young this year, and *ducks* Wells is not far behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E
    Oh yeah, things are always better when Randi's around.

Al Cicotte was a rightie, but the age difference was about right, and they were both from Michigan, so it's definately possible.

We have not played a lot of the better teams yet and we were 17 and 3.

Our team will get better as Giambi heats up, Jeter comes back, along with the bullpen getting back to full strength, so the better teams will face a better Yankee team.

But four 20 game winners? Remember why we got Contreras, when someone breaks down, he will be inserted into the rotation.

It is posible for the Yanks to win a lot of games and only have 2 or 3 20 game winners.

If everyone stays healthy Roger, Moose, and Wells can all win 20.
    I think Andy can get close with 18 or so, and Weaver has the chance to do about the same, although I see around 16 wins top for him, (I hope I am wrong)

It sure is nice being a Yankee fan and talking about team needs like a setup man in the bullpen, when the fans of other teams have greater worries.

Spiker, you got it....The middle three games of the Series (which were played in Pittsburgh) were played AT NIGHT -- for the first time in World Series history. Over the years since, they gradually decreased the number of world series day games to where they now no longer exist.

Sad, in a way........

I much prefer night games. Sometimes, a change is a good thing.

Originally posted by Michaels07

Say Spiker Didn`t The Yankess have his nephew Al Cicotte a lefty at one time?
    Al was Eddie's grandnephew, according to baseballlibrary.com. I want you to know though that I had to look this up. I ain't that freakin' old you know.

Thread Information