+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

What year did the Gold Glove

Originate?

I'm gonna guess at 1957 because I'm sitting here staring at a ball signed by Bobby Schantz and I think he won it the first few times for a pitcher...

I think...

Originally posted by Gehrig
    I'm gonna guess at 1957 because I'm sitting here staring at a ball signed by Bobby Schantz and I think he won it the first few times for a pitcher...

I think...
    Good guess. According to Baseball-Reference.com the first Gold Gloves were given out for the 1957 season. Interestingly enough, that was the only year that there were not 2 sets of Gold Gloves for the AL/NL.

NYYF Legend

Gold Glove Award

First awarded in December 1957 by the Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, the Gold Glove Award honors the top fielders at each position in each league. Honorees, originally selected by a panel of distinguished sportswriters, were chosen by fellow players starting in 1958. Since 1965, managers and coaches have decided the winners.

Beacuse of the subjective nature of the voting, the awards have often been criticized for honoring players based on reputation rather than statistics. Perhaps the most egregious example was the Gold Glove awarded in 1999 to the Rangers' Rafael Palmeiro, who had played just 28 games at first base and had just been named the league's outstanding DH.

The most-decorated honorees are Brooks Robinson and Jim Kaat, both of whom won sixteen Gold Gloves in their careers.

http://www.pubdim.net/baseballlibrar...love_Award.stm

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Gehrig

I think...
    Great to see you back in action, right on the mark.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Rookie23

Good guess. According to Baseball-Reference.com the first Gold Gloves were given out for the 1957 season. Interestingly enough, that was the only year that there were not 2 sets of Gold Gloves for the AL/NL.
    Correct, I guess Rawlings liked the idea.

Thread Information