+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

Are the Tigers the worst team ever?

Yes.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    In the modern era, the 1962 Muts went 42-120 (0.259).

In 1872, the Washington Nationals went 0-11 (0.000).

In 1873, the Baltimore Marylands went 0-6, tying the lowest W% of 0.000.

In 1872, the Brooklyn Eckfords went 3-26 (0.103).

In 1884, the Wilmington Quicksteps went 2-16 (0.111).

http://www.baseballreference.com/teams/
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Honestly, I don't know since I haven't seen the team. However, ...I smell a manager change coming.

In a word, yes. Most of those teams played long before the three division format and unbalanced schedule. Detroit plays in quite possibly the weakest division since the advent of the 3 division setup and they lose 100+ games. Look at all the AL Central teams and their records from last year, every one had a better record against their own division than the rest of baseball. The Tigers are atrocious.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

Well, the 2003 Tigers are terrible, but there IS 1984..
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Released Outright
    Originally posted by Bub
    Honestly, I don't know since I haven't seen the team. However, ...I smell a manager change coming.
    They already had one, and there wont' be. Its a hometown hero with a terrible squad. He won't be replaced for at least a year.

I believe that they are the worst team ever. A .170 team BA and their pitching ace is Mike Maroth. They have a VERY good chance, in my view, of "beating" the 1962 Mets for the worst in a full season.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Originally posted by Bozidar
    Well, the 2003 Tigers are terrible, but there IS 1984..
    Oh, so they're good then? I don't get it...

Lou Whitaker would turn over in his grave if he knew you made any sort of comparison to his '84 Tigers and this sad bunch.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

Bozidar, you know full well that I mean the 2003 Tigers. The team OPS is under .500. That's right... the TEAM OPS. The Yankees have a SLG higher than the Tigers team OPS.

The Tigers have scored 34 runs the ENTIRE year. The Yankees, in contrast, have scored 119.

The Tigers pitching staff is just as bad as the offense, and the defense isn't something to be proud of.

I think they have a good shot at losing 110+ games.

I know, Rocketman, I just wanted to point out that they have, as a franchise, been successful in the last 85 years
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    worst team at least since the 62 Mets. Trammell is safe, he's a new manager and they had low expectations anyway.

Btw, lou whitaker is still alive. So he might be turning over in his arm chair watching this awlful team, but not in his grave And if he wanted to see the comparison, he could just dial in to nyyfans.com to read it

Originally posted by BronxBaumer

They already had one, and there wont' be. Its a hometown hero with a terrible squad. He won't be replaced for at least a year.
    Even a very poor team should win 25 to 30% of the time. Do you really think that he stays if the team starts out at 20 wins and 61 losses by midway?

Released Outright
    Originally posted by Bub
    Even a very poor team should win 25 to 30% of the time. Do you really think that he stays if the team starts out at 20 wins and 61 losses by midway?
    On the news out here they always say poor manager getting stuck with such a terrible team. I don't even remember his name, but he is getting great press. Thats the scary part.

I've watched a couple of Detroit games this season. It's really shocking to see a team with so little major league talent. Their starters would have trouble making most other clubs, even as backups. While it's early to annoint them as the worst ever, it's hard to imagine this team improving much this year.

Btw, lou whitaker is still alive. So he might be turning over in his arm chair watching this awlful team, but not in his grave
    I know, I was kidding.
    - Borat Sagdiyev

I know, Rocketman, I just wanted to point out that they have, as a franchise, been successful in the last 85 years
    Every dog has his day....
    save the Redsox
    "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."
    --Santiago, from "The Old Man and the Sea"

Well, they are on a pace to go 9-153, which wouldn't be good. What's tragic about it is that the Tigers were once a great organization, the team of Ty Cobb, Hank Greenburg, Al Kaline, and arguably the greatest keysone combo of them all in Whitaker-Trammell. And who will ever forget Mark the Bird Fidyrich.

The thing that makes this even more sad is that the owner of the Tigers also owns the Detroit Red Wings. I just found this out yesterday from a friend of mine when we were talking about how pathetic the Tigers are. Guess where all the money went. There's a reason why Detroit is hockeytown...
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

Originally posted by Spiker
    Well, they are on a pace to go 9-153, which wouldn't be good. What's tragic about it is that the Tigers were once a great organization, the team of Ty Cobb, Hank Greenburg, Al Kaline, and arguably the greatest keysone combo of them all in Whitaker-Trammell. And who will ever forget Mark the Bird Fidyrich.
    The Tigers of 1984 were a magical team. They were always in first place, from the very first game, and had a tremendous year. But if you look at it, they were just magically peaking all at once. They were certainly "servicable" in 1983, winning 92 games, but they didn't even win the AL East. Then in 1985, with pretty much the same team, they won only 84 games, dropping TWENTY GAMES from their 104 game peak in 1984.

Anyway, the Tigers are a real mockery. At least the Devil Rays try (they have some great players with "potential" in Aubrey Huff, Toby Hall, Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, and Josh Hamilton) and at least the Royals, Brewers, and Pirates have some stars (Sweeney/Beltran, Sexson, Giles/Kendall/Benson). The Tigers are all so terrible that their best player is Dmitri Young, currently holding a .368 OPS. 11 American Leaguers, including our own Bernie Williams and Alfonso Soriano, have BATTING AVERAGES higher than his OPS.

RONDELL WHITE and TERRENCE LONG each have as many home runs as the entire Tigers 25 man roster, combined. Austin Kearns has nearly TWICE as many (9-5). Even more saddening... REY ORDONEZ has 60% of the entire Tigers home run total, and he is arguably the worst offensive regular in major league history.

At least the Tigers have speed, right? Wrong! The Tigers have stolen less than half the number of bases first baseman DERREK LEE (8) has.

Yes, this is true. MARK GRUDZIELANEK has scored the 55%of the entire amount of runs scored by the Tigers lineup, which produces 2.15 runs per game. In contrast, the Yankees score seven...

But at least the Tigers have been playing tough opponents, right? Wrong again. The Tigers have played Kansas City (a woeful .383% team last year that lost 100 gmes) six times, and lost every one. They've played Minnesota (a fairly decent team, but one that the Yankees have blown away) five times, and you've guessed it, they got trainwrecked then too. Then they've played the very underwhelming White Sox six times, losing five out off the six times.

The only time they've won is when they "roughed up" Josh Stewart, a no-name rookie on the White Sox, for 4 runs in four innings and change.

This is a sad team, ladies and gentlemen... a sad team with nowhere to go. What's most incredible of all, in fact, is that these Tigers are going to have an All-Star this year, presumably one that keeps a deserving participant sitting at home.

Hmm...

Alan Trammell will not get fired (at least not this year). He is an icon in Detroit--the best shortstop to ever play there (and HOF, in my opinion). It would be like, what if Don Mattingly managed the Yankees? Would he get fired if he was saddled with a crappy team? Maybe some other guy, but I think Mattingly gets a hometown pass.

The sad part is, they'll probably take a series from us at one point.

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by C. Bellinger
    Alan Trammell will not get fired (at least not this year). He is an icon in Detroit--the best shortstop to ever play there (and HOF, in my opinion). It would be like, what if Don Mattingly managed the Yankees? Would he get fired if he was saddled with a crappy team? Maybe some other guy, but I think Mattingly gets a hometown pass.
    It would be like, what if Yogi Berra managed the Yankees? Or Billy Martin? Or Lou Pinella?

NYYF Legend

The sad part is, they'll probably take a series from us at one point.
    Yeah, they usually do !

I feel for the kids on this team.
    It's one thing to decide to go with youth, but you need a few veterans that can perform (so far Higginson and Palmer haven't done much), so as to not be totally disheartening.

Their pitcher yesterday, Maroth, was having a terrific game, but they left him in for the 9th inning, and he ended up losing 4-3.
    They should have spared him that.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Their pitching is the only thing worth a damn. They're ranked 22nd, and near that in most of the important pitching categories. The rest of their team is ranked dead last, 30th, in nearly everything.

a few things:
    1) This is the reason that the KC staff looks so good.
    2) They'll get fired up to play us, that's why they'll win at least 1 game
    3) If Minnesota had played 7 games against Detroit rather than the Yanks, they'd feel better about themselves too.

Thread Information