+ Reply to Thread

Baseball America update on R. Guillen

Just for anyone starved for minor league updates- fresh from the Baseball America website- their Spring Training section:

• The Yankees are counting on big things from outfielder Rudy Guillen. He is hitting .450 in games between the low Class A and high Class A levels this spring. "He hits the ball where it's pitched," Yankees farm director Rob Thompson said. "He's getting better and is going to be big and strong. He stays through the ball very well and plays very relaxed and doesn't let things affect him."

Addicted Member

any more infor on this kid

What Position does he play? What's his age? Any more information on this kid?
    Thanks

NYYF Legend

he plays right field and is 18 years old or he just turned 19. potential 5 tool player. compared to vlad, but thats a bit early. going to start the year in full season a ball.

Forum Regular
    sounds promising but we're stocked with outfielders right now so when he's ready in 2-3 years he may become trade bait since once Mondesi is gone Rivera will be taking over in right field and then of course we have Marcus Thames still in Columbus so we won't exactly be needing him if he does develop into a 5 tool guy

NYYF MVP

Where is the article? I went to the Yankees page but all I see is something that was done on Jason Anderson.

NYYF Legend

CTB, i would have to say you are completely wrong. This year Guillen is headed to A-Ball, let's say he conquers both high and low, the next year he'll be at AA, the year after he'll be at AAA. So by the time he's ready Rivera will probably have the right field job, but Matsui will be a free agent, so he could very well get the left field job, and he has a superior ceiling than Rivera. Thames will also never have a regular job with the Yankees because he is nothing more than a part time player.

Forum Regular
    yes but if Matsui is productive here George will make sure he stays in pinstripes. and what if we get Vlad? then Rivera is out of being a starter too. thats just my thoughts ont he situation and ya never know Guillen could bottom out not everyone that is an A Star makes it to the majors

Website

Look under the "Spring Training Notes" on the main Baseball America wesbite from Friday- that's where the note is from- also look for notes next week.

As far as Guillen's future- we are likely talking about 3-5 years here. Everything I've read about the guy is in projections- he's still supposedly a skinny kid who is still filling out. He has natural talent- but when he's done growing and filling out- that's when we see what we have.

Besides, if he is as good as they are billing him to be, we have no one of that caliber in the OF- especially in another 3-5 years, when Rivera would be the youngest left at 28-30 years old.

Thread Information