+ Reply to Thread

Mark Phillips Profile

Couldn't find a whole lot on the kid we got in the White/Trammell deal, but the Lake Elsinore site (class A team he pitched for last year in the Padres system) had some info:

http://www.stormbaseball.com/index5.htm

Mark Phillips #34
    LHP
    Ht: 6-3
    Wt: 215lbs
    Born: 12/30/81
    Hometown: Hanover, PA

2002 Storm Notes: Picked up his first win of 2002 by throwing five shutout innings against Modesto on April 15…Allowed just one hit while striking out four over eight shutout innings in the Storm's 3-1 victory over High Desert on May 23…Threw six shutout innings and struck out 11 against Lancaster in his next outing for his fourth win of the season…Struck out ten over six shutout innings for a win over High Desert on July 12…

2001 & Career Notes: : Selected in first round (9th overall) of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft…Recognized as San Diego's No. 5 prospect by Baseball America...Posted a 9-3 record and a 2.91 ERA (26 ER/80.1 IP) in 14 starts between all 3 of San Diego's Single-A affiliates...Walked 37 and struck out 80 while holding opponents to a .189 batting average (54-for-286) in 2001… Honored by BA as having the best fastball of the San Diego 2000 draft class.
    MinorLeageBaseball.com listed him at 205 lbs., but more up to date info has him listed at 215. Sounds like a power pitcher to me, and Padres fans seem upset to see him go. Could turn out to be a tremendous steal for the Yanks.

NYYF Legend

Latest edition of Baseball America rates him as # 3

Buy the Prospect Hand book it`s available in Barnes Noble.

Addicted Member

FROM BA

Phillips, the ninth overall selection in the 2000 draft, had the best pure stuff of any pitcher in the Padres system. Few minor league southpaws can match the 6-foot-3, 200-pounder's combination of two plus-plus pitches: a fastball that sits in the low 90s and reaches 97 mph and a curveball that drops straight down. Raw when he signed out of Hanover (Pa.) High, Phillips started to put it all together last August at Class A Lake Elsinore as he posted a 2.53 ERA and 37-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio over his final 32 innings. He went 10-8, 4.19 in 148 overall innings last season and is 20-12, 3.96 with 156 strikeouts in 266 career innings. Though BA rated Phillips, 21, as the organization's No. 3 prospect, some in the organization questioned his makeup and consider him a high-risk, high-reward player.

NYYF MVP

I really like this deal - mostly because of Phillips. The more pitchers you get the more chances you have to get a winner, and guys like Phillips don't come around all the time.

This is part of what www.teamonebaseball.com had to say about him:

"2/16/2003 3:55:30 PM - 2003 Scouting Report
    Phillips is a physical lefty with a wide base and a silky left arm stroke, and the type of LHP that scouts will tell you they have to ‘go after’ in the draft.

I’ve seen Phillips on video and stuff-wise, he has above board velocity and typical lefty run on his fastball along with a big-bellied breaking ball from a high ¾ slot. His changeup is third.

By report, Phillips ran into trouble due to an inconsistent delivery and an inability to establish favorable counts. Ability-wise, he has the potential to be a #2 type rotation guy but he’ll have to find that consistent delivery to do so.

-Scott Zilmer"

signonsandiego.com 3/20/03

By Tom Krasovic
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    March 20, 2003

Walks left Phillips vulnerable to deal

PEORIA, Ariz. – Mark Phillips is a left-handed pitcher who throws overhand fastballs clocked at up to 96 mph and curveballs better than those of some big leaguers.

Phillips, 21, has never had an arm problem and said his arm feels better now than in the previous two offseasons.

So why did the Padres trade Phillips, their No. 1 draft pick in 2000, to the Yankees yesterday?

Inaccuracy.

The Padres said Phillips' high walk ratios and inability to repeat his delivery raised doubts about the Pennsylvanian.

"It's all a bit of a shock to me, but you can't complain," Phillips said after hugging some of his minor league teammates. "Honestly, I have no clue why it happened. I had an awesome offseason. The way I feel now, I haven't felt this good in the last two spring trainings."

Evaluators from both clubs said Phillips has enormous upside but needs to become consistent.

"Mark's ceiling is as high as he wants it to be," said Tye Waller, the Padres' director of player development. "He's a left-hander with a powerful arm. He just has to learn how to harness it. Once he does, we'll all know about it, because we'll see him on TV one day."

Tutored by a few pitching coaches last year and given extra days between starts to work on his delivery, Phillips still led the Class A Cal League in walks with 94 in 1481/3 innings. In three seasons, he was 20-12 with a 3.96 ERA. He averaged more than a strikeout per inning but had 155 walks in 2652/3 innings.

The Yankees had sought him in previous trade talks, then got him yesterday as the Padres had to sweeten the deal that sent Bubba Trammell's two-year contract to the Yankees for Rondell White's one-year contract.

"We had good reports on (Phillips)," said a Yankees official. "He showed makings of his control coming around at the end of last year."

In his final four games last season, Phillips had 33 strikeouts against seven walks. "I stopped trying to be so pinpoint and was just throwing the ball," Phillips said.

The Padres invested $2.2 million in Phillips, the highest sum they've given an amateur pitcher. General manager Kevin Towers and manager Bruce Bochy scouted Phillips as a high school senior.

"That's one of the things that I liked," Phillips said. "I thought I was going to stay with this organization for my whole career."

Accustomed to dominating hugely inferior prep opponents, Phillips got off to a slow start as a pro. Waller extended spring training for him in 2001 so the lefty would be better prepared for his first full season in the minors.

"In '01, he needed to get in shape and to learn how to pitch," Waller said. "When he left here, he was hungrier, too."

Phillips agreed, saying yesterday that "when you're younger, you don't know how to prepare yourself to get ready."

© Copyright 2003 Union-Tribune Publishing Co.

signonsandiego.com 3/20/03

Phillips will report to Double-A Trenton.

I'm skeptical about Phillips because the trade seems too good to be true. I recall he was very highly regarded coming out of high school in Hanover, PA and went high in the draft. He didn't do well his first year because he was out of shape, but seemed to be rounding into form last year.

We'll find out about him this year in AA Trenton. It seems that while the Yankee farm system is not highly regarded, the Trenton staff looks to be very good, including another impressive lefty (Charlie Manning).

Thread Information