+ Reply to Thread
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Tug McGraw Gravely Ill

I wasn't sure if this should go in Around the Majors, or Just Conversation, since Tug is no longer in the Majors...

ESPN.com

McGraw reportedly has two brain tumors
    ----------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Former major league pitcher Tug McGraw is gravely ill with a pair of brain tumors, unnamed sources told the Philadelphia Daily News.

Both tumors are believed to be in the frontal lobe of McGraw's brain. A Morton Plant Hospital spokesperson said Friday that McGraw remains in intensive care. McGraw had been admitted to the Clearwater, Fla., hospital on Thursday.

PhillyBurbs.com, a Web site that covers three Philadelphia-area newspapers, also reported that McGraw has a brain tumor.

McGraw is with family members and will undergo more tests.

McGraw, 58, was the Phillies' guest pitching instructor during spring training. In fact, McGraw was in the dugout for Tuesday's game in Clearwater. McGraw pitched for the Phillies and Mets during his career, helping each team win a World Series title.

The Phillies withheld details of McGraw's illness, saying only that he was undergoing tests.

"I'm very concerned about Tug," Phillies manager Larry Bowa said Thursday. "We're praying for him."

Asked if he's going to visit McGraw, Bowa said, "From what I understand, I don't think he can have visitors right now."

McGraw was 96-92 with a 3.14 ERA and 180 saves during a 20-year career in the majors.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Tug, "You gotta Believe"...

Good Luck...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Tug McGraw in hospital w/brain tumor

I just heard it on YES' Mike & Mad Dog show. The ex-Met, ex-Phillies closer has some tumor on his brain lobes.

This was a major shocker, as he was one of my faves in the '70s or so!!!

NYYF Legend

I read something about this in my paper today, but it didn't mention brain tumors. That's horrible news.
    My prayers go out to him and his family.

Sorry to post another thread about this, since it had just been some "blurb" on YES. In either case, I'm glad I didn't mishear this, as I didn't want to seem like I was spreading nasy and vicious rumors. However, in McGraw's case, I'd much rather it had been untrue and anything else!!!

I've always admired him, how he banged his glove against his hip, his old school Irish charm!!! He was way cool, IMO!!!

NYYF Legend

He'll need a lot of prayers and good doctors at this time. Even though he was never a Yankee, fans had to like him for his competive spirit when he played for the Mets and Phillies. I read an article recently in SI about his unusual brother who lives a different type of lifestyle from Tug and had been a professional ballplayer at one time. Did anyone else read this article?

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...es/5389560.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 14, 2003

McGraw hospitalized -- Former pitcher in intensive-care unit

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Tug McGraw, who threw the final pitch in 1980 as the Phillies won their only World Series, is believed to have a pair of brain tumors in his frontal lobe, sources said last night.

Whether they were malignant or benign was unknown.

McGraw, 58, was hospitalized Wednesday at Morton Plant Hospital here and was in the intensive-care unit last night, the team said.

"All we can do is pray," said Phillies manager Larry Bowa, who was a teammate of McGraw's. "This was totally out of the blue. I was talking to him 2 days ago."

The team did not release information about McGraw's condition, saying only he was in the hospital undergoing tests. McGraw was here as a guest pitching coach for the second straight season.

Bowa could not confirm McGraw's illness but thought McGraw was too ill to receive visitors last night. John Vukovich, also a former teammate and currently the team's third-base coach, survived a battle with a brain tumor in 2001.

McGraw's son, country music star Tim, was scheduled to take batting practice with the team before today's game. Tim canceled his appearance and, last night, went to the hospital.

NYYF MVP

Unforgettable in the '80 Series. Add my prayers for him and his family.

NYYF Legend

Thats bad news
    Good Luck to Tug.

How terribly sad. My thoughts and prayers are with Tug and his family at this time.

Bad news

Tug ,
    Ya gotta believe!!!!

NYYF Legend

I'm really sorry to hear that- he was such an enthusiastic upbeat guy- I'm sure that will help him get through this- Good Luck Tug.

NYYF Legend

I'm really sorry to hear that- he was such an enthusiastic upbeat guy- I'm sure that will help him get through this- Good Luck Tug.

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT
    Good luck tug.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6256337
    McGraw to have surgery early this week

March 16, 2003
    SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Tug McGraw is undergoing neurological evaluation at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa and is scheduled to have surgery early this week.

In a statement released by the hospital through the Philadelphia Phillies, Dr. Steven Brem said evidence of a malignant brain tumor is "inconclusive." Brem is the program leader of Moffitt's neuro-oncology program and an expert in brain mapping and neuronavigation.

Officials declined to release any further information about the planned surgery.

Two sources close to the former star pitcher, who spoke on condition of anonymity, previously said that doctors at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater diagnosed McGraw with a malignant brain tumor after he was hospitalized on Wednesday.

The 58-year-old McGraw was hospitalized Wednesday. He has been a special spring training instructor for the Phillies the last two seasons.

McGraw helped the Phillies and New York Mets win World Series during his 19 seasons in the major leagues. The left-hander went 96-92 with a 3.14 ERA and 180 saves.

McGraw popularized the phrase "Ya Gotta Believe" with the Mets during their improbable pennant run in 1973, and later closed out the Phillies' only world championship in 1980.

McGraw has received many visitors during his hospital stay, including former Phillies outfielder Jay Johnstone, Hall of Famers Harmon Killebrew and Brooks Robinson and former Astros outfielder Jimmy Wynn. McGraw had looked forward to playing in Sunday night's legends game sponsored by the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association.

"He was fun, always kept everybody laughing," said Johnstone, who played with McGraw from 1975-78. "Tug will find a way to get out of this."

The Source

McGraw awake, alert after 6-hour operation
    March 18, 2003
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Tug McGraw underwent six hours of surgery to remove a brain tumor, but doctors don't expect to know until Friday whether it was cancerous.

``I'm very optimistic in a couple days he'll want to leave the hospital,'' Dr. Steven Brem said. ``His chances are excellent for recovery.''

Brem, who directs the neuro-oncology program at the Moffitt Cancer Center, described the 58-year-old former star pitcher as alert and in good spirits. Brem said the single tumor extended to both sides of the brain.

McGraw, who helped the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies win World Series titles during his 19 seasons, was hospitalized last week. He has been a special spring training instructor for Philadelphia the last two years.

The left-hander was an outstanding reliever, compiling a 96-92 record with a 3.14 ERA and 180 saves in his career. He pitched for the Mets from 1965-74 and the Phillies from 1975-84.

McGraw popularized the phrase ``Ya Gotta Believe!'' with the Mets during their improbable pennant run in 1973, and later closed out the Phillies' only World Series championship in 1980.

Updated at Tue, Mar 18 2003, 3:57pm ET

Sounds like he has a decent chance for recovery...Go Tug!

Ya Gotta Believe...

NYYF Legend

Sounds like a much more optimistic report. Lets hope so!

NYYF Legend

I hope he gets good news from pathology and makes a speedy and full recovery!

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6267581
    McGraw released three days after surgery to remove tumor

March 21, 2003
    SportsLine.com wire reports

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tug McGraw was released from the Moffitt Cancer Center on Friday, three days after the former star reliever underwent six hours of surgery to remove a brain tumor.

It is not known whether the tumor is malignant or benign. The hospital, citing the family's request for privacy, refused to release further information.

"The family appreciates the outpouring of affection we received during these past few days from my father's friends and fans," McGraw's daughter, Cari Velardo, said in a statement. "We also appreciate the way members of the public and the news media have respected our family's continued need for privacy, and we trust they will remain sensitive in this regard."

After the operation, Dr. Steven Brem said McGraw's chances for recovery are "excellent," even if the tumor, which extended to both sides of the brain, is malignant. Brem directs the neuro-oncology program at Moffitt.

Two sources close to McGraw, speaking on condition of anonymity, previously said doctors at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater diagnosed him with a malignant brain tumor after he was hospitalized on March 12.

McGraw, who helped the New York Mets and the Phillies win World Series titles during his 19 seasons, has been a special spring training instructor for Philadelphia the last two years.

McGraw was an outstanding reliever, compiling a 96-92 record with a 3.14 ERA and 180 saves in his career. The left-hander pitched for the Mets from 1965-74 and the Phillies from 1975-84.

McGraw popularized the phrase "Ya Gotta Believe!" with the Mets during their improbable pennant run in 1973, and later closed out the Phillies' only World Series championship in 1980.

An affable character, McGraw is a fan favorite in both Philadelphia and New York. He is best remembered in Philadelphia for striking out Kansas City's Willie Wilson to end Game 6 of the 1980 World Series and clinch the title.

McGraw and Phillies chairman Bill Giles were scheduled to team up to deliver the first ball of the new season for the Phillies' final home opener at Veterans Stadium on April 4. The two practiced the stunt earlier in spring training, with Giles dropping three baseballs from a helicopter to McGraw.

That's sad news..Good luck Tug..

Thread Information