Hybrid View

The Source

Contreras Arrives at Yankees' Complex

Sports - Baseball

Contreras Arrives at Yankees' Complex
    13 minutes ago
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...es_contreras_1

TAMPA, Fla. - Cuban defector Jose Contreras took another step toward finalizing his contract with the New York Yankees (news) when he arrived Tuesday at the team's minor league complex.

Contreras, who agreed last month to a $32 million, four-year contract, arrived in a car driven by Gordon Blakeley, the Yankees vice president of international and professional scouting.

Contreras, holding a Yankees' cap in his right hand, departed about an hour later with New York player development head trainer Mark Littlefield to undergo a physical.

A right-hander who says he is 31, Contreras got the largest deal ever for a Cuban defector, topping the $14.5 million, four-year contract Cleveland gave pitcher Danys Baez three years ago.

Contreras left the Cuban team after an Oct. 1 game against the Dominican Republic at Saltillo, Mexico. He entered the United States at San Ysidro, Calif., and was detained by the Immigration and Naturalization Service in San Diego.

He was freed and went to Florida, then left the United States, where he would have been subject to baseball's amateur draft. He established residency in Nicaragua.

Contreras pitched for Cuba's national team for seven years. He was 117-50 with a 2.82 ERA in the Cuban League, according to the Yankees.

He is

31. His birth certificate and BA both verify that info. It's pretty pathetic when people take a dig at a guy's integrity when they probably have never seen nor spoken with him...

Re: He is

Originally posted by Buzah!
    31. His birth certificate and BA both verify that info. It's pretty pathetic when people take a dig at a guy's integrity when they probably have never seen nor spoken with him...
    I guess that means the press conference is tomorrow?

Re: He is

yep.. he's a victim of circumstance.

btw.. do ya like quoting yourself?

Re: Re: He is

Originally posted by Bozidar
    yep.. he's a victim of circumstance.

btw.. do ya like quoting yourself?
    at least I'm quoting someone who knows his baseball

Yeah, I'm getting sick of hearing the buried inuendo too. Jose is fully documented. There is probably just as good a chance some American player has a doctored birth certificate as Contreras does. Enough already.

Re: Re: Re: He is

Originally posted by Spiker

Yeah, I'm getting sick of hearing the buried inuendo too. Jose is fully documented. There is probably just as good a chance some American player has a doctored birth certificate as Contreras does. Enough already.
    Exactly and we need to get the Contreras train rolling, before we move Andy for prospects

Re: Re: Re: He is

at least I'm quoting someone who knows his baseball
    heh, more than once

NYYF Legend

Will he remain in Tampa, or will they fly him to New York for an intro at the Stadium on thurs?

Released Outright
    When are they going to interview Contreras?

Thread Information