Thread: Yankee Land

Yankee Land

Yankee world is turning into a circus, this team looks like it's on the fast track to re-live the 80's .... I'm not feeling encouraged at all ....

i think it's great!!!! i'm looking forward to this season.....

I always look forward to the season too, but I get a very weird feeling of deja-vu all over again

NYYF Cy Young

It's 1978 all over again...but they did win it all in 78 which is very encouraging.

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Yankee Land

Originally posted by jiffyjeff
    Yankee world is turning into a circus, this team looks like it's on the fast track to re-live the 80's .... I'm not feeling encouraged at all ....
    I can't understand why you feel like this. To my way of thinking, all of the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together. Getting rid of El Duque, bringing in a good reliever like Osuna and blocking Red Sux Nation from getting Colon were all good moves.

Now if Cashman can just find a good home for Hitchcrap, we'll be pretty much set. Remember this is still pretty much the same team that won 103 games last season and had the best record in baseball PLUS newcomers Matsui, Contreras, Zeile and Osuna. I see us having a great season and wouldn't be surprised if the Angels didn't even make the playoffs.
    [B]The Yankees have been blessed with great players over the years. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Phil Rizzuto, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and now Mark Teixeira to name a few. [/B]

I don't think the team has improved defensively, the outfield isn't causing me to jump for joy, and the infield isn't far behind, Jeter and Sori can't cover the corners, and while I can live with the situation at first, I'm not encouraged by the hot corner

NYYF Legend

I don't think the team has improved defensively, the outfield isn't causing me to jump for joy, and the infield isn't far behind, Jeter and Sori can't cover the corners, and while I can live with the situation at first, I'm not encouraged by the hot corner
    Your a pessimist, way too negative. Have a few drinks

NYYF Legend

Be Positive.

I know that George is making moves that I personally don't agree with, but his heart is in the right place and he does want a winner and will spend the $$$$ to get there. He has a fantastic Executive group that can give him fantastic advice and keep him in check.

There is NO OTHER ORGANIZATION as good as ours is. How about you going to Tampa for spring training. You will NEVER, in your lifetime, experience anything better.

Andy

Originally posted by Michaels07

Have a few drinks

I think that might be the problem already.

At the end of the day, do you think there is ONE owner out there who wouldn't swap rosters with the Yankees (money issues aside, of course)???

Released Outright
    Unbelievable..

Why would anyone not be happy with the moves the Yankees have made this off season?

They could have gone the off season not picking up one single offensive player and they would still lead the planet in offensive categories next season..

So they got rid of Hernandez...big deal. Was he ever our ace? Is he 23 years old? Is he flexible as to doing what is needed to help the team..like going into the bullpen?

No, no and No....

We lost nothing in letting him go...get over it...

So we did not get Colon...big deal...He is an above Average Pitcher..somewhere between Pettitte and Clemens, whose career is being overblown by a 20 win season last year.. if signed, he would not be our ace...We managed to block Boston from getting him....He is not gonna be a Yankee..get over it...

We resigned Clemens..much to my displeasure...but still..he is a proven workhorse that can't "hurt" us for one more year..and if he does tank at any point..we have the flexibility to put someone else in his stead...smile..be happy...

We managed to keep Pettite...a young lefty entering his prime..sure he has elbow problems..but he finished last year strong..Would you want him to pitch against us instead? Get over it already...

We signed 2 unproven major leaguers in Matsui and Contreras..can they be any worse than what we had in their places last season? I would be willing to bet that Matsui will post better numbers this coming seson than White, Mondesi, Vandy and Spencer combined did last year...Contreras, like Matsui is a question mark..but I would rather have these questions answered in pinstripes than in a Red Sox uniform..the Yankees have the depth and flexibility to handle thier "transitions" be it smooth or rocky...without it disturbing winning another divisional title...

With the free agent market being the worst in recent memory..and the Yankees stuck with players that are basically impossible to move..(Hitch..Mondi and White)..what could the Yankees have done to prevent this "80'S" feeling you are mistakenly reliving?

Give me a break...It's easy to sit an criticize...but I did not see any suggestions for improvements or "wish list" moves in your criticism of "Yankee land".....

The Yanks did what they could with what they had..and they are a better team now on paper than last season...let's see what they can do before we lable them an "80's" reunion team...

I wasn't ranking on GS or the team, it just is starting to feel like the circus that was happening in the 80's when GS was always the one driving the bus

Released Outright
    I wasn't ranking on GS or the team, it just is starting to feel like the circus that was happening in the 80's when GS was always the one driving the bus
    I hate to break it to ya..but whether it's the 70's, 80', 90's or the next 20 years...as long as he is involved or breathing..GS will always be driving the bus...

And his driving has brought a great deal of WS in the last 20 years....Would you rather see someone like Theo running the Yanks?

Be happy GS is at the wheel...rarely has the bus been steered wrong...

i know we sucked during the 80's, but i do remember it being fun going after the best players... of course i was just a kid then.... and isn't that what george is when it comes to the yankees? a kid

NYYF Legend

I hope this is a great season for the Yankees. I don't know what to think right now, but once ST is underway, I'll have a better idea of what to expect from the Bronx Bombers.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Released Outright
    So will Giambi get a cool nickname like "Donny Baseball"? No...the 80s aren't here.

NYYF Legend

The fact that we have improved this team without giving up a single prospect, young player or draft pick is amazing. Of course anything less than the WS will be a huge dissapointment.

Got my 7/4/03 tickets!

The Yanks made some big-publicity moves and some big-publicity non-moves this winter ... maybe that's the reason you feel like it's a circus. I used to think (back when George didn't listen to anybody) that the only thing worse than the way the Yanks were run was the way they were covered in the papers. Now that the two can't even be compared, the chumps who write for the papers aren't really happy about that situation. So the Yanks became a much more valued and admired commodity, and somehow the writers feel they have to divert attention away from the Yanks to themselves, so, like problem children, they have to do more and more outrageous stuff to get noticed.

How do you figure this?

We won over a hundred games last year. We have the exact same infield. We have the same CF and probably much better corner outfielders. Our starting pitching has probably been upgraded in getting Contreras over El Duque. The Bullpen might be SLIGHTLY worse then last year but not much. I think the team, overall, is better than last year. How are we like the 80's?

The lineup is upgraded
    C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CF, and DH return
    The corner OF positions should be better with the addition of Matsui at one of them, and a player in Mondesi or White who should have a better year, Add Juan Rivera, healthy and perhaps ready, and the most fearsome offensive force in baseball gets even better.

The rotation is upgraded
    Clemens, Pettitte, Mussina, Wells return. Weaver for a full year and Contreras whom everyone thinks can be a horse. We are deeper, and have better, more numerous options if injury befalls one of our guys..

Pen is still fine
    We lost Mendoza and Stanton, replaced them with Osuna and Hammond. I liked the new guys, but the Yankees thought they were losing steam and their replacements don't suck. Key here is health of Rivere and Karsay. If they are fine, we are fine. We have upgraded really, but it does not look like it is worse either,,,

Defense
    Sori got better as the year went on, and should improve more. Ventura will most likely not lead the league in errors at 3rd again, and Matusi gives us a better defensive OF than White gave us, and assuming he is here, a full year of Mondesi in RF is a defensive upgrade over whoever played there last year. This is not the best defensive team around, but we should be alright here, and I think we'll be better than last year. That won;t upgrade us to great defense, but it does not seem like we are any worse than last year.

I think we'll win 100-105 games and go from there. I do not see us getting any worse... if we can keep our guys healthy...

Devoted Member
    any offense the yanks fielders produce should more than make up for any defensive inadequacies they may have.

sure, the defense hurt them against the angels, but if you replaced the hitters with good fielders, they would have lost the games 2-1 instead...

the point being - the yanks are looking good, and i can't wait to listen to them on the radio again (er... stupid cablevision)... maybe i should move to japan so i can get the yes network...

Released Outright
    Originally posted by aeromac76
    The lineup is upgraded
    C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CF, and DH return
    The corner OF positions should be better with the addition of Matsui at one of them, and a player in Mondesi or White who should have a better year, Add Juan Rivera, healthy and perhaps ready, and the most fearsome offensive force in baseball gets even better.

The rotation is upgraded
    Clemens, Pettitte, Mussina, Wells return. Weaver for a full year and Contreras whom everyone thinks can be a horse. We are deeper, and have better, more numerous options if injury befalls one of our guys..

Pen is still fine
    We lost Mendoza and Stanton, replaced them with Osuna and Hammond. I liked the new guys, but the Yankees thought they were losing steam and their replacements don't suck. Key here is health of Rivere and Karsay. If they are fine, we are fine. We have upgraded really, but it does not look like it is worse either,,,

Defense
    Sori got better as the year went on, and should improve more. Ventura will most likely not lead the league in errors at 3rd again, and Matusi gives us a better defensive OF than White gave us, and assuming he is here, a full year of Mondesi in RF is a defensive upgrade over whoever played there last year. This is not the best defensive team around, but we should be alright here, and I think we'll be better than last year. That won;t upgrade us to great defense, but it does not seem like we are any worse than last year.

I think we'll win 100-105 games and go from there. I do not see us getting any worse... if we can keep our guys healthy...
    White had no errors last year, anmd was quite excellent defensively.

Forum Regular

White defensively excellent?

Originally posted by SorianoFanHFW

White had no errors last year, anmd was quite excellent defensively.
    He has a very weak arm and gets late breaks on fly balls. About three quarters through the season, I remember he made a couple of "excellent plays", that doesn't make him excellent defensively. He wasn't charged with an error last season because he handled every thing he got to. Overall, (IMO) he is a defensive liability--hopefully, Matsui and/or Rivera will be an upgrade.

The great, tragic hallmark of the Yankees during the 1980s was the acquiring of so-called "established" or "veteran" players at the expense of the farm system. Time after time, we would get some highly touted veteran and lose bushels of prospects. Over time, the team got older until one day (1989), KABOOM! Your team loses 95 games.

Who are the wonderful young prospects we've surrendered this off-season? Did we fire the manager or any of the coaching staff? Did we go out and sign Jack Clark again?

Let's not panic. We are going to have a great club this year. We won 103 games last year and we're very likely going to be better this year.
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

NYYF Legend

Re: Yankee Land

The only semi-questionable move I've seen this off-season is signing a 41 year old pitcher just so he can celebrate 300 on a team where he did not get most of those wins (in fact, many of them are against us).

The difference is, in the 80's we would have traded Nick Johnson and/or Rivera to get him.

'Nuff said.

Thread Information