+ Reply to Thread

Some more pessimism, this time Florida

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball...09/449966.html

Marlins pessimistic about trading for Colon

January 9, 2003

MIAMI -- The Florida Marlins aren't optimistic about obtaining righthander Bartolo Colon before the start of season.

General manager Larry Beinfest said Thursday that the Marlins had discussions with Montreal but he did not anticipate acquiring the pitcher, who is being shopped by the Expos.

"At this time we are not optimistic about landing Bartolo Colon," Beinfest said. "I don't know if that involves further discussion or not. We have certainly made an effort here. We have had discussions, but I don't know where it goes from here."

The Boston Red Sox have also been trying to trade for Colon, but general manager Theo Epstein said Wednesday that the clubs were not getting closer to a trade.

The Marlins have made several significant moves this offseason. They signed lefthanded outfielder Todd Hollandsworth on Wednesday, acquired outfielder Juan Pierre and reliever Tim Spooneybarger and traded outfielder Preston Wilson and catcher Charles Johnson.

Colon would bolster Florida's starting rotation that includes A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett and Brad Penny. Colon was 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA last season with Cleveland and Montreal.

Penny has part of the trade negotiations for Colon, which have also involved three-way deals that include Cincinnati. Beinfest wouldn't say whether medical concerns about Penny's arm affected the talks.

"I'm not going to talk about players being rumored in this trade," Beinfest said. "It is very common at the time of a transaction for the clubs that are participating to share medical information about their players. That's standard operating procedure."

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like it might have been a PR move for the Marlins. "We have certainly made an effort here" really sums that up. A day after they announced their intentions to sell Kevin Millar because they don't want to pay him, they're going to take on Bartolo Colon? Sounds fishy to me.

So when does Minaya get fired? I have a feeling a trade with the Mets is around the corner for Minaya, who in a vailed attempt to alienate every GM in the league, he'll have to make a rash move and send Colon for Jeromy Burnitz.

NYYF Legend

The Marlins going after Colon doesn't make sense. Colon is in his free agent year and is making $8.3 million. I thought Florida has a cash flow problem and is trying to reduce payroll. The rumor is that the Expos would get prospects from Fla. Why would Florida do this, these are the type of players (cheap) that Florida needs. Besides, they certainly couldn't compete in the free agent market for Colon when he opts for Free Agency after this season.

Methinks it is a writers attempt to fill up his space with ink in this slow news period.

Andy

Originally posted by Nome
    The Marlins going after Colon doesn't make sense. Colon is in his free agent year and is making $8.3 million. I thought Florida has a cash flow problem and is trying to reduce payroll. The rumor is that the Expos would get prospects from Fla. Why would Florida do this, these are the type of players (cheap) that Florida needs. Besides, they certainly couldn't compete in the free agent market for Colon when he opts for Free Agency after this season.

Methinks it is a writers attempt to fill up his space with ink in this slow news period.

Andy
    I like to blame the press whenever possible. Unfortunately, it's not possible here. The Reds were really involved in this, actual medical records were passed around, so something was afoot. The NYTimes also reported today that at the same time Minaya was talking to the Marlins, we also was talking to the Sox.

According to the Times, "An official with another club involved in the Colón talks said his team understood that Colón was headed to the Red Sox for third baseman Shea Hillenbrand, pitcher Casey Fossum and cash. That's the package the Expos have sought from Boston, but the Red Sox have refused to give up Fossum."

Obviously, Minaya is playing some deep game here that only he understands, and doing it with all the finesse of a wounded elephant. I continue to suspect that what Omar really wants is for Selig to throw up his hands and say, Ok, just keep the team as is and we'll swallow the extra $10 million.

Ooh...might we soon be seeing the circle jerk of Les Expos/Red Sox/Marlins in action?

Imagine this: Expos send Colon to Florida in exchange for whomever, Florida sends Colon to Boston for whomever and the Marlins attendence plummets to new lows so Jeff Loria doesn't have to make interest payments on the loan he got from MLB.

Looks like Penny is healthy and its just a matter of time before this trade is completed...........

http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0110/1490399.html

The Marlins are no longer an option:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0109/1489938.html

Thursday, January 9
    Updated: January 10, 8:06 PM ET

Marlins put an end to possible three-way trade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

A deal that would send Expos starter Bartolo Colon to the Marlins won't happen, because Florida pulled the plug on the talks Friday, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported.

There were two possible deals in the works. The first would have sent Colon to Florida for right-hander Brad Penny, left-hander Blaine Neal and minor league first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and minor league right-hander Don Levinski.

The Expos wanted to finesse the deal to move Penny to the Reds for a minor league pitcher, believed to be Luke Hudson, with another Reds minor league pitcher, believed to be Ty Howington, moving to the Marlins, Gammons reported.

The Reds say they have concerns about Penny's arm, but Penny and the Marlins insist he is healthy have have sent Penny's medical information to Cincinnati for review.

Several teams have concerns about Penny's arm. He had two stints on the disabled list in the past three years, including a six-week stretch last season because of inflammation in his right bicep.

Penny's 13.49 ERA in the MLB All-Star series against Japan in November did nothing to set potential suitors' minds at ease either. The Sun-Sentinel of South Florida recently quoted an unnamed National League GM as saying, "There are problems with Penny's shoulder ... We view him as a medical risk."

Montreal, owned by Major League Baseball and ordered to cut its payroll to $40 million, has been shopping Colon for months. General manager Omar Minaya had been talking with the Red Sox since the winter meetings in Nashville in mid-December, talks that later branched off into trying to find another team to make a Boston-Montreal deal work.

But Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said Wednesday that there was no progress toward a deal and he didn't expect a Boston trade for Colon to be made.

"I'm actually as pessimistic about our chances of matching up with Montreal as I have been in a long time," Epstein said.

Penny, 24, went 8-7 with a 4.66 ERA in 24 starts while battling several injuries last season. Colon went 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA between Cleveland and Montreal. Colon will make $8.25 million in 2003, while Penny is arbitration-eligible after making $378,000 in 2002.

Penny was eyed by the Red Sox in discussions that centered around outfielder Trot Nixon this offseason, but Florida was unwilling to part with the right-hander at the time.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Originally posted by Looie #19
    The Marlins are no longer an option:
    Two questions.

How does Gammons manage to draw a paycheck. He says the Marlins pulled the plug on the deal, but offers no attribution, nor any sort of explanation for why the Marlins wanted out. Then he goes on to say that there were two deals in the works. He tells us what the first deal was but fails to even hint at the second deal. This story couldn't get past the pimply-faced editor of your local high school newspaper. Peter Gammons is an incompetent, who needs to be forcibly retired.

The second question is, coupled with a Gammons report that MLB has given the Expos until Monday to pull off a deal, are you beginning to suspect that Selig is somewhere behind the scenes pulling all necessary strings to ensure that the Red Sox get Colon at a bargain-basement price.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by clacson

and the Marlins attendence plummets to new lows
    ..that's a given.. as Loria has alienated baseball fans in So Forida already. If they weren't already disgusted with Wayne Huzienga's "fire sale" after winning the WS in '97.
    Then along comes John Henry with his promises of putting a "contender on the field" and building a new ballpark "with his own money..if that's what it takes"...and we all know where he is now... The "curse" lives on
    Loria could trade for any number of high profile players and the Marlins would still be hard pressed to draw people to games. Florida Marlins fans and baseball fans, in general, are fed up.

Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me...

Released Outright
    Originally posted by Spiker

Two questions.

How does Gammons manage to draw a paycheck. He says the Marlins pulled the plug on the deal, but offers no attribution, nor any sort of explanation for why the Marlins wanted out. Then he goes on to say that there were two deals in the works. He tells us what the first deal was but fails to even hint at the second deal. This story couldn't get past the pimply-faced editor of your local high school newspaper. Peter Gammons is an incompetent, who needs to be forcibly retired.

The second question is, coupled with a Gammons report that MLB has given the Expos until Monday to pull off a deal, are you beginning to suspect that Selig is somewhere behind the scenes pulling all necessary strings to ensure that the Red Sox get Colon at a bargain-basement price.
    I wouldnt be surprised at all if Boston got Colon at a bargain basement price (i.e possibly not dealing Fossum)....Let's wait and see what Boston gives up before we cry wolf.

Thread Information