+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Yankees still talking up Bicondoa

This is one guy whose career i intend to follow as he moves up the chain.Ryan Bicondoa RHP his rookie year was spent with the Staten Island Yankees. He was signed as a 5th year senior out of Western Kentucky,he posted a 6-4 1.90 era in 14 starts. He led the league in complete games three & K`s 94 in 85 innings.Mark Newman said he could have pitched at a higher level. The Yankees had to outbid the Blue Jays to sign him.The Yankees liked what they saw, he has a change up that he will throw in any count. Newman said he breaks all the rules when to throw the change, it dives like a splitter.He has great command and excellent control, fastball reaches 90.Director of player personal Damon Oppenheimer said he should move fast. Hope to see him at Tampa in 2003 and perhaps move up to Trenton as the season progresses.The writeup was in the Jan 6-19th Baseball America.

Re: Yankees still talking up Bicondoa

Originally posted by Michaels07
    This is one guy whose career i intend to follow as he moves up the chain.Ryan Bicondoa RHP his rookie year was spent with the Staten Island Yankees. He was signed as a 5th year senior out of Western Kentucky,he posted a 6-4 1.90 era in 14 starts. He led the league in complete games three & K`s 94 in 85 innings.Mark Newman said he could have pitched at a higher level. The Yankees had to outbid the Blue Jays to sign him.The Yankees liked what they saw, he has a change up that he will throw in any count. Newman said he breaks all the rules when to throw the change, it dives like a splitter.He has great command and excellent control, fastball reaches 90.Director of player personal Damon Oppenheimer said he should move fast. Hope to see him at Tampa in 2003 and perhaps move up to Trenton as the season progresses.The writeup was in the Jan 6-19th Baseball America.
    I saw him pitch on TV earlier this year and he looked GOOD! I mentioned him before on here too. I've only seen him pitch once, but his numbers at his current level of play look very promising.

NYYF Legend

This will be a big year for him.The big test will be as he moves up of course because last year he was a man playing with boys.I thought they should have moved him up last year but I know George wanted the Penn League championship.

NYYF Legend

Sounds to me like they are overhyping him to drive up his trade value like that have done to prospects in the past.

I saw him pitch, too

they're not overhyping him.

NYYF Legend

Buz I've seen him pitch twice and both times he was well in control of both games.He had every hitter off balance.The only thng was he topped out at 88 and was around 84-86 mph most of the game.Now some guys like Maddox and Moyer can do great changing speeds and can survive doing it.I hope that Ryan is in that mold but after following Tessmer after being drafted and having great succes in the minors but not in the majors i'll have to have a wait and see attitude with him.If he can move up this year and do well it will show so much as to where he really stands.I know it would have been to soon but I would have loved to see him pitch this year in the AFL.Then we could have gotten a haqndle on where this guy really might fit in.Remember he's 23 years old ,he was a 5 year senior.

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    Buz I've seen him pitch twice and both times he was well in control of both games.He had every hitter off balance.The only thng was he topped out at 88 and was around 84-86 mph most of the game.Now some guys like Maddox and Moyer can do great changing speeds and can survive doing it.I hope that Ryan is in that mold but after following Tessmer after being drafted and having great succes in the minors but not in the majors i'll have to have a wait and see attitude with him.If he can move up this year and do well it will show so much as to where he really stands.I know it would have been to soon but I would have loved to see him pitch this year in the AFL.Then we could have gotten a haqndle on where this guy really might fit in.Remember he's 23 years old ,he was a 5 year senior.

I appreciate your reservations, I'd offer this: a 23 year old with an anycount change is rare indeed. He's got pitchability. Most guys at 23 are just finding the strikezone. And his K's to innings pitched are excellent for young control artist. I like his chances better than I liked Tessmer's, I saw him as a sidearmer and those guys are 50/50 or worse.

NYYF Legend

Buz don't get me wrong .I'm not putting him down .As a matter of fact I was really impressed by him ,but I just feel its to early to tell.Like I said this year if he moves up will prove alot to me.

The Source

Random Bicondoa Fact: He is a cousin of Darryl Kile. He didn't know him too well but apprently the Grandma's liked to talk about their boys in baseball.

NYYF Legend

Wow thats interesting.

NYYF Legend

I just watched the Biaconda-Kazmir game and I'm sorry to say that only time will tell about Ryan but it looks like the Mets have a good one in Kazmir even though he took the loss.I have the game on video.

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    I just watched the Biaconda-Kazmir game and I'm sorry to say that only time will tell about Ryan but it looks like the Mets have a good one in Kazmir even though he took the loss.I have the game on video.
    Kazmir's only problem is his size. The biggest knock on him is how will his body and arm hold up through all the innings he'll throw in the minors. He might project more as a reliever like Billy Wagner.

NYYF Legend

I would compare him to Wagner too and I also think he'll be a future closer.

NYYF Legend

I just saw this post at the bottom of one of the posts and I was wondering what became of Bicondoa?

go **** yourselves umps AcidLake's Avatar

I saw his records in Baseballcube.com and his record looked decent to nice up to 2003 and next year, he was in Indy league team... What happened to him?
    Marge Simpson: The plant called and said if you don't
    come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer Simpson: Woo hoo! A four-day weekend.

We traded him to the Mets in the Armando Benitez deal. Then he was down here in the Florida State League playing for the Cubs who I think he's still with.
    [IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/assedout/SBXLIICHAMPS.jpg[/IMG]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Straw
    We traded him to the Mets in the Armando Benitez deal. Then he was down here in the Florida State League playing for the Cubs who I think he's still with.
    Thats right the Benitez deal. Thanks for the update.

Thread Information