+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Mets Get Cliff Floyd...

    Per WFAN, the Mets have come to terms on a multi-year deal with Cliff Floyd...pending physical tomorrow. Link to follow...

    Nice pickup for the Mets...that never would have happened if Bobby V was still there.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Tokyo Bay, Japan

    WFAN says the Mets just signed Cliff Floyd

    Looks like money is no object to either New York team. Next move is George's. Colon? Contreras?

  3. #3
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island
    eeny meeny miney mo
    in which thread should my comments go......


    good pickup for the Mets. Looks like they are on mission impossible 2 this year.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  4. #4
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    here's a link...

    http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6044916

    Mets, Floyd agree in principle to multiyear deal
    Dec. 20, 2002
    SportsLine.com wire reports



    NEW YORK -- The New York Mets have added a big bat to go with their upgraded pitching staff, agreeing in principle to a multiyear contract with outfielder Cliff Floyd on Friday.

    Floyd, who declined salary arbitration from the Boston Red Sox on Thursday night, must pass a physical Saturday to make the deal official.

    Floyd is the third big free-agent acquisition for the Mets this offseason as they try to rebound from a last-place finish in 2002.

    They signed left-hander Tom Glavine to a $35 million, three-year deal to be the ace of their staff and lefty Mike Stanton to a $9 million, three-year contract to bolster their bullpen.

    Floyd batted .288 with 28 homers and 79 RBI last season for Boston, Montreal and Florida. The terms of his deal were not immediately available.

    He will be a major upgrade over Roger Cedeno or Jeromy Burnitz in one of the corner outfield spots. The Mets probably will try to trade Cedeno or Burnitz.

    I'm not sure who would take Cedeno or Burnitz...that may be wishful thinking...

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    It's really not surprising. Not only do they need a productive outfielder, but they are always competing with the Yankees for headlines. It's almost like one team is always spurred on by the other. Glavine---> Matsui---> Floyd ----> Contreras? Colon? Vasquez?

  6. #6
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Ed Coleman is on WFAN now:

    -- the deal is for four years but he doesn't know the money -- they were working out deferring some of the money last he heard...

    -- one of the reasons he's very happy about coming to NY is because his very good friend Rondell White is here...unfortunately for him, most times the Yanks are in town, the Mets aren't.

    -- Mets are trying to move either Cedeno or Burnitz and whichever one they could, they will but would be more ideal to move Cedeno because it's a longer contract.

  7. #7
    You know, the Mets have had some really bad luck with acquisitions of late. Vaughn and Alomar were both BIG deals, and both turned into disasters. Doesn't Floyd seem like the kind of player who's a risky free agent signing. Good enough to get big money, but not so good that you know he's a guarantee to do well. Something tells me he's going to become a very average player, leaving them saddled with yet another overpaid acquisition. I guess it depends on what they pay him, but I think he's a disappointment waiting to happen.

  8. #8
    Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    You know, the Mets have had some really bad luck with acquisitions of late. Vaughn and Alomar were both BIG deals, and both turned into disasters. Doesn't Floyd seem like the kind of player who's a risky free agent signing. Good enough to get big money, but not so good that you know he's a guarantee to do well. Something tells me he's going to become a very average player, leaving them saddled with yet another overpaid acquisition. I guess it depends on what they pay him, but I think he's a disappointment waiting to happen.
    I'm with you. The Mets are a brain dead organization. How can anyone after 30 years of free agency and one example after another of teams trying to win through acquisition of expensive older players and failing, can someone now try it again.
    They've have as many superstars on that team as anyone and not one of them is near his prime.
    Piazza, clearly on the decline at 34, ancient for a catcher
    Mo Vaughn, do I have to say it. 35 and much aging by the minute.
    Alomar, 35 on opening day. May have a good year left but who knows.
    Leiter will be 37 and he's been nagged by the kind of injuries that usually tell you that age is starting to win the race.
    Glavine will be 37 on opening day and he tailed off badly in the second half last year. A warning that went unheeded.

    And now Floyd who at least doesn't have to see Medicare doctors but carries a pretty ugly health history.
    They don't have a shortstop or a 3 baseman. And have two really ugly contracts in the outfield.
    Who knows they might catch lightning in a bottle and all the oldsters will have Indian summer seasons, but that's not likely. And by the middle of 2004, this team is going to be compared to the Orioles teams of the late '90s, a squad of aging, overpaid players who can't be traded and no farm system to rebuild with. This is a train wreck, scheduled for about August 3, 2004.

  9. #9
    Oops, I just noticed the Mets have now gotten Nokamura to play third. Another really, really smart deal. I hope they tied him up for a long, long time.

  10. #10
    Originally posted by Spiker

    Glavine will be 37 on opening day and he tailed off badly in the second half last year. A warning that went unheeded.
    I like Glavine a LOT, and he really had a terrific year this year. But they're paying him just a ton for years 37-39. That's just a huge risk, and as you point out, he did not have a good second half. I think the odds of him performing up to salary for the whole 3 years of the contract are pretty damm low.

  11. #11
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    the only numbers that mean anything: NY Yankees 4; muts 1. 2000 WS. everything else the muts do is out of desperation to keep pace with the Braves and Yanks, and they are pathetically inept at that as well.

  12. #12

    The Mets

    I'm thinking the Mets can at least compete this year. First of all, they're playing in the NL East:

    The Expos are in fire sale mode. The Marlins were in fire sale mode last year. The Braves have decided to pick up everybody else's erratic pitchers without taking care of their problems. The Phillies could be tough, but they're supposed to be tough every year.

    The Mets have:

    C: Mike Piazza--He can't really catch, but he's still the best hitting catcher out there. He's pretty clutch too.
    1B: Mo Vaughn--Mo did pretty decent for switching leagues and missing the whole of 2001; if he can build on it, he could become a force again.
    2B: Roberto Alomar--I've never liked Alomar, but that was clearly a year out of step with his previous ones. He's not a franchise player; he has to have a strong (I mean, REALLY strong) supporting cast.
    3B: See, I think they did okay in letting Alfonzo go. You don't need that many injury risks on one team, and if they use someone like Joe Randa to play every day for cheap, then that could work out.
    SS: Non-Jeter/A-Rod/Tejada/Nomar shortstops are actually a dime a dozen. They can plug a rookie, a vet, heck even a carbon rod in there, and it can hit better than Ordonez.
    OF: Cliff Floyd--Again, I've never liked Floyd (and he was sort of the Grim Reaper of Playoff Teams last year), but he can hit when he's healthy. Fair enough.
    OF: Jeromy Burnitz/Roger Cedeno/Whoever--Burnitz seems like he has the drive to make up for a terrible last season. I really dislike Cedeno.

    Pitching-wise, Tom Glavine, Al Leiter, Steve Trachsel, Pedro Astacio, Whoever--pretty good rotation. Bullpen of Benitez, Stanton, Strickland, Roberts, Franco--not too bad!

    Manager--Art Howe, who for the last few years, can squeeze every last drop of talent out of his team. Unfortunately, I think Art's either (a). dumb or (b). cursed in the playoffs because he's had some really bad luck and some really bad managing. Maybe it's because he usually has to make them scramble to win the division or wild card or something.

    It's an interesting team. Yeah, it's on the old side, but people said the same thing about the 2001 Yanks.

  13. #13
    Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1220/1480250.html

    just a quick update, according to this article and peter gammons, the deal is for 4 years, 26 million and he will play left field. At least he's proven in the MLB unlike Matsui...even after being traded twice last year, he still finished with good numbers, and had a great 2001. I think this is a good pickup for the Mets provided they can move one of the other guys...

    If possible, I would move Cedeno -- he's a horrible outfielder and Burnitz can't possibly be as bad offensively as he was last year...

  14. #14
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    You know, the Mets have had some really bad luck with acquisitions of late. Vaughn and Alomar were both BIG deals, and both turned into disasters. Doesn't Floyd seem like the kind of player who's a risky free agent signing. Good enough to get big money, but not so good that you know he's a guarantee to do well. Something tells me he's going to become a very average player, leaving them saddled with yet another overpaid acquisition. I guess it depends on what they pay him, but I think he's a disappointment waiting to happen.
    It seems like Mets fans love the splash and hoople coming from trumping the Yankees for the back page news. Yup, Vaughn and Alomar were big names who were expected to lead them past the Braves, or at least make the playoffs. Unfortunately, for awhile, both tanked offensive and defensively.

    Cliff Floyd's '02 BA went down 29 points to .288 from .317 in '01, and his OPS dropped 57 points from .968 in '01 to .911 in '02. I'm wondering if Phillips hired Duquette to pull the strings, getting players on the decline.

    I guess that when it's time to rebuild w/younger, less proven but cheaper players w/upside, Mets fans would rather have the headlines, even if it doesn't lead to victories in the end.

  15. #15
    Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    It seems like Mets fans love the splash and hoople coming from trumping the Yankees for the back page news. Yup, Vaughn and Alomar were big names who were expected to lead them past the Braves, or at least make the playoffs. Unfortunately, for awhile, both tanked offensive and defensively.

    Cliff Floyd's '02 BA went down 29 points to .288 from .317 in '01, and his OPS dropped 57 points from .968 in '01 to .911 in '02. I'm wondering if Phillips hired Duquette to pull the strings, getting players on the decline.

    I guess that when it's time to rebuild w/younger, less proven but cheaper players w/upside, Mets fans would rather have the headlines, even if it doesn't lead to victories in the end.
    Hey, when is the Mets' parade for winnng the battle of the back pages?

  16. #16
    High five! Looie #19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Location : Location
    Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    [B]
    Cliff Floyd's '02 BA went down 29 points to .288 from .317 in '01, and his OPS dropped 57 points from .968 in '01 to .911 in '02. I'm wondering if Phillips hired Duquette to pull the strings, getting players on the decline.
    B]
    Would you say the same about Jeter with his three straigth seasons in decline?

    Both of them are still young, and can rebound from an off year or three.

  17. #17
    Originally posted by Looie #19


    Would you say the same about Jeter with his three straigth seasons in decline?

    Both of them are still young, and can rebound from an off year or three.
    Looie, any idea on who hits fifth for the Sox in 2003?

  18. #18
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Originally posted by Spiker
    Hey, when is the Mets' parade for winnng the battle of the back pages?
    Comes in July, after BoSox's June WS "Yankees Suck" victory parade.
    Originally posted by Looie #19
    Would you say the same about Jeter with his three straigth seasons in decline?

    Both of them are still young, and can rebound from an off year or three.
    I think that's about the order in the lineup. Put him at leadoff, me thinks he produces. Bat him in the 2-hole, I think he's not as good. Some people do better in certain spots than others.

    In Floyd's case, three teams in one season seems like a bit. For Boston to get him as a 3-month rental seems a might odd and wasteful of a trade.

  19. #19
    High five! Looie #19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Location : Location
    Originally posted by Spiker


    Looie, any idea on who hits fifth for the Sox in 2003?
    Haven't the slightest.

  20. #20
    Originally posted by Looie #19


    Haven't the slightest.
    Neither do they.

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    DJeter1287's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    LI/Bronx for school
    As much as I dread to say it, the Mets may be contenders this year.

    Good luck to Floyd!
    Let's Go Yankees!

  22. #22
    Originally posted by Spiker


    I'm with you. The Mets are a brain dead organization. How can anyone after 30 years of free agency and one example after another of teams trying to win through acquisition of expensive older players and failing, can someone now try it again.
    They've have as many superstars on that team as anyone and not one of them is near his prime.
    Piazza, clearly on the decline at 34, ancient for a catcher
    Mo Vaughn, do I have to say it. 35 and much aging by the minute.
    Alomar, 35 on opening day. May have a good year left but who knows.
    Leiter will be 37 and he's been nagged by the kind of injuries that usually tell you that age is starting to win the race.
    Glavine will be 37 on opening day and he tailed off badly in the second half last year. A warning that went unheeded.

    And now Floyd who at least doesn't have to see Medicare doctors but carries a pretty ugly health history.
    They don't have a shortstop or a 3 baseman. And have two really ugly contracts in the outfield.
    Who knows they might catch lightning in a bottle and all the oldsters will have Indian summer seasons, but that's not likely. And by the middle of 2004, this team is going to be compared to the Orioles teams of the late '90s, a squad of aging, overpaid players who can't be traded and no farm system to rebuild with. This is a train wreck, scheduled for about August 3, 2004.
    Ouch!!

  23. #23
    High five! Looie #19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Location : Location
    Originally posted by Spiker


    Neither do they.
    Well I think I read somewhere that Nomar would bat behind Manny Ramirez, since Nomar tends to swing at most anything with a high level of success. This is why I want to see Soriano in the 5 spot, also.

  24. #24
    Originally posted by Looie #19


    Well I think I read somewhere that Nomar would bat behind Manny Ramirez, since Nomar tends to swing at most anything with a high level of success. This is why I want to see Soriano in the 5 spot, also.
    Let's see
    Damon
    Giambi-lite/Walker
    Manny
    Nomar
    Hillenbrand
    Nixon
    Veritek
    Who's on first
    Walker/Giambi-lite

    You losing any sleep over that lineup? Me neither. The Sox will now have to build a team based on pitching. That means a top starter, which could allow Fossum to move to the bullpen where he probably belongs and signing both Ligtenberg and someone like Witasick. That would give them a great bullpen and a terrific starting rotation, if healthy. The only option left. Losing Floyd was a big blow to them.

  25. #25
    High five! Looie #19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Location : Location
    To an extent I think Floyd might hurt (no pun intended on the "hurt"), but then again, he did absolutely nothing when he was with them, besides get hits only when no one was on base. I can easily see Nixon matching his 2001 numbers again, which are pretty much exactly what I see Floyd putting up in 2003. At the same time they can do a lot better if they allocate the 10 million arbitration figure into other things, such as their bench, bullpen and another starter, which they'll probably get. I try not to look at teams like Fantasy Teams, because the Angels lineup and Arizona's lineup didn't scare me in the least, either. It's not how strong you are from 1-9 and 1-5, it's how strong you are 1-25 and 26-40 that matters in the long run. I'll wait until after ST to really pass judgement on any team at this point. For what seems like a stagnant hot stove season, there's plenty of twists and turns.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts