+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Contreras officially declared a FA

Go for him boys!

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)

Re: Contreras officially declared a FA

Originally posted by JfromJersey
    Go for him boys!
    exactly... Bye, Bye Colon/Vasquez

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar
    Let the bidding begin!

Originally posted by DiMaggio5CF
    Let the bidding begin!
    Let the bidding be WON!

Dont say bye to Montreal yet, now we can use this as a negotiational ploy!!

Omar, if you dont make this deal, we'll go get Contreras. If we lose him to Boston, well guess what, then Boston won't want your guys, so you better dump or get off the toilet...

Forget Montreal

keep Nick and Juan!

Re: Forget Montreal

Originally posted by Buzah!
    keep Nick and Juan!
    My sentiments exactly

Forum Regular

I've got a very strange feeling about this. The Red Sox signed a cuban guy, Euclides Rojas, to be their bullpen coach in 2003. They supposedly had Luis Tiant talk to Contreras and had him over to John Henry's house. They've maintained an eerie calm about the whole thing for some time now. You just have to wonder.

Contreras Crazy

It's like the 4th of July!
    I haven't seen so many happy cleat head threads in some time!
    What an Omar antidote this turn of events presents!
    I will watch with glee as Omar eats his meal of overpaid bballers and blows his budget sky high. He waited too long and blew any great deal to be made. Tada! Are we having fun yet Omar?

why does everyone think this is going to be so easy, i havent read anywhere this guy wants to be a yankee..everyone is acting like this is a done deal....someone explain please..

So what does anyone know about Contreras? Anyone know what kind of stuff he has?

Originally posted by yankeesrule2000
    why does everyone think this is going to be so easy, i havent read anywhere this guy wants to be a yankee..everyone is acting like this is a done deal....someone explain please..
    It's not a done deal. But (at least for now) we have El Duque, we're the best franchise in mlb history, and we have deep pockets, budget cutting or not. That makes us a very strong candidate.

The Source

Cuban pitcher Contreras declared a free agent

Cuban pitcher Contreras declared a free agent
    Contreras can start contract talks with MLB clubs
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1218/1479156.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Cuban pitcher Jose Contreras can start contract talks with all Major League Baseball teams after being declared a free agent Wednesday by the commissioner's office.

Contreras established residency in Nicaragua, according to the commissioner's office, which notified all teams that they could negotiate with the right-hander.

"He looks forward to talking to teams," said his agent, Jaime Torres.

A week ago, Torres submitted papers claiming the pitcher had established residency in Mexico, and the commissioner's office rejected them.

Contreras was considered the top pitcher on Cuba's national team when he defected in October, while the team was in Mexico.

He first came to the United States, which made him subject to the amateur draft. Cubans who defect have tried to become residents of countries outside the United States and Canada, which allows them to be free agents.

Contreras, who turns 31 this month, allowed two hits in eight shutout innings against the Baltimore Orioles during an exhibition game at Havana in 1999. He struck out 10, including Albert Belle twice.

Also because the Yanks original plan was Matsui and Contreras. They only loose biffing wars when they choose to.

Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk

It's not a done deal. But (at least for now) we have El Duque, we're the best franchise in mlb history, and we have deep pockets, budget cutting or not. That makes us a very strong candidate.
    Yea...Wel I hope we get this guy...but i dont think it is going to be as easy as everyone thinks it is...

Yea...Wel I hope we get this guy...but i dont think it is going to be as easy as everyone thinks it is...

It's easier than giving up two future stars for a fatass son to be FA... Abd it's easier than being at the mercy of MLB, the Expos and what MLB tries to do for the Sawx.

Originally posted by Buzah!

It's easier than giving up two future stars for a fatass son to be FA... Abd it's easier than being at the mercy of MLB, the Expos and what MLB tries to do for the Sawx.

I'm not debating that, in fact i agree..i'm just saying don't go nuts yet, we didnt sign him yet..

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Murcer'swerebest
    I've got a very strange feeling about this. The Red Sox signed a cuban guy, Euclides Rojas, to be their bullpen coach in 2003. They supposedly had Luis Tiant talk to Contreras and had him over to John Henry's house. They've maintained an eerie calm about the whole thing for some time now. You just have to wonder.
    The Red Sox do worry me. I've been hearing for the last couple of months that he is their main target this offseason. This guy is the goods, believe me, and adding him to a rotation that includes Pedro and Lowe is a downright scary thought. That's why I think the Yankees have to make a serious run at him, at least to drive the price way up if they can't land him themselves.

This is good news, not only because the Yanks might get a terrific pitcher without having to give up prospects, but because it drastically reduces the market for Colon/Vasquez, even Vidro and potentially Vlad.

Worse case: Boston signs him. That eliminates the Sox as a major player for the Expos players. Atlanta eliminated itself with yesterday's two signings, in fact they might have to trade Millwood to keep under payroll limits. That's another young strong pitcher potentially on the market.. Baltimore would like to spend but they don't have a single worthwhile prospect. The Phillies would be potential competitors but they are reportedly seeking a lefty. The Mets also would like to spend, though how much they have left is questionable. And they have no prospects or young players to offer. The only thing that scares me is that Steve Phillips is just stupid enough to agree to take on Tatis to get Colon, and that would do it.

Originally posted by Spiker

This is good news, not only because the Yanks might get a terrific pitcher without having to give up prospects, but because it drastically reduces the market for Colon/Vasquez, even Vidro and potentially Vlad.

Worse case: Boston signs him. That eliminates the Sox as a major player for the Expos players. Atlanta eliminated itself with yesterday's two signings, in fact they might have to trade Millwood to keep under payroll limits. That's another young strong pitcher potentially on the market.. Baltimore would like to spend but they don't have a single worthwhile prospect. The Phillies would be potential competitors but they are reportedly seeking a lefty. The Mets also would like to spend, though how much they have left is questionable. And they have no prospects or young players to offer. The only thing that scares me is that Steve Phillips is just stupid enough to agree to take on Tatis to get Colon, and that would do it.
    Great points...

Originally posted by JfromJersey

The Red Sox do worry me. I've been hearing for the last couple of months that he is their main target this offseason. This guy is the goods, believe me, and adding him to a rotation that includes Pedro and Lowe is a downright scary thought. That's why I think the Yankees have to make a serious run at him, at least to drive the price way up if they can't land him themselves.
    Their payroll before potentially signing Contreras would be around 93 million, which is about 20 million off their 2002 total. I'm under the impression they slashed away dead contracts to make space for Contreras, and are pulling out all the stops to sign him. I believe he was their A-1 priority this offseason as I've gathered from all the reports about Contreras in the Boston papers online since the end of the season. We'll see what develops.

Contreras could very well at least be of Vazquez's caliber, at best somewhere between Pedro and Lowe. I've heard he's got absolutely filthy stuff a la a younger Clemens.

Originally posted by Looie #19

Contreras could very well at least be of Vazquez's caliber, at best somewhere between Pedro and Lowe. I've heard he's got absolutely filthy stuff a la a younger Clemens.

How filthy you ask? Here's a link and the text of a scouting reported provided by Turnbub, a new member who is having a terrific rookie season.

http://citadel6.ezboard.com/fnewyork...picID=50.topic

Scout's Take
    Jose Contreras, rhp, Cuba

All pitches are graded on the 20-80 scale; 50 is major league average. Contrerasí pitches are all current grades, because he is already in his prime.

Fastball Slider Curve Forkball Change Command
    70 65 50 50 60 70

Summary: Whether he is signed through the draft or free agency, you can expect the Cuban defector to go to the top of every teamís holiday wish list. Contreras is an ace, by all accounts and scouting reports:

"The thing about this guy is that you can sign him for whatever, and you have a (Curt) Schilling, (Roger) Clemens, (Mike) Mussina type, No. 1 impact guy under contract for at least three years before he is eligible for arbitration, six years before he is a free agentĖand he is in the prime of his life. He might be the best Ďpresentí player ever available. This is the one that every international scout who has covered Cuba has coveted. Maels Rodriguez throws harder, but this guy is a pure pitcher. He has present dominating stuff with dominating makeup. There is no comparison (between Contreras and fellow Cuban Danys Baez) for me. Two different beasts: Contrearas is a huge, athletic starter. Baez was always going to be in the pen for me. That said, I would love to have Baez.

"Iíve seen Contreras at 95 (mph) in the ninth, and yet, bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, one-run lead, full count, he throws a slider. He can really pitch with his slider. Heíll change the shape and velocity (81-89 mph). Just a tremendous feel. In the last couple of years, he has come up with a forkball. His delivery is pure. He is a great athlete and a tremendous competitor. He pitches out of a high three-quarters arm slot, but he can drop when he wants. Not as much as El Duque.

"His fastball is probably a 65, but it plays upĖhe can show an occasional 80 fastball, and his slider, which is probably a 65, actually plays at about 80. His fork keeps getting better every year. The changeup is his least-used pitch. He essentially has four out pitches. The sum of his stuff is greater than the individual grades because of his pitchability and his makeup. His command is whatever you want to make it, 70, 80, whatever. He will probably end up among the league leaders in walks-to-innings.

"The only question will be how (Contreras) is able to handle the defection. I donít think any of us have a clue how difficult that is. How do you plan for that? Itís not like youíre looking after an 18-year-old single kid. There are family issues that are much more difficult. How is the money and media hype going to affect him? The distractions of wealth? There are so many intangibles that could have an impact on him. In a sense, you are shooting in the dark on makeup-related issues. You know how he competes on the field, you have a read on game makeup, but other important stuff . . . just a guess."

This guy represents the first battle with the Red Sox of the 2003 season. I hope somebody in the front office puts a charge into Steinbrenner, because when he decides he really wants something, he usually gets.

Originally posted by Looie #19

Their payroll before potentially signing Contreras would be around 93 million, which is about 20 million off their 2002 total.
    If Cliff Floyd goes to arbitration that's 10 million added to their payroll. The Red Sox are going to have to move payroll and get real creative to sign Contreras. I think the Red Sox hope we get Colon. They know they can't win in a bidding war with us for Contreras.

Originally posted by Godzilla

I think the Red Sox hope we get Colon. They know they can't win in a bidding war with us for Contreras.
    I know their fans do. I spent some time monitoring a Sox discussion forum and here's their fantasy scenario: They want, and some of them even expect, that Cashman will suddenly cave and do the Colon/Karsay deal as offered by Minaya. And then tomorrow, Roger Clemens will violate his gentleman's agreement and accept arbitration and force the Yanks to keep him at a $12 million salary.
    As for the later eventuality, it would almost be worth it to see Steinbrenner's reaction if Clemens actually did accept arb. But of course, Rocket has to be aware that if he pulled that stunt he would be the most expensive relief pitcher in history to ALMOST win 300 games.

Godzilla Rules

Why the concern about Boston?

Did we not beat Pedro and Lowe in "their" house? Boston was effective last year due to the sudden appearance of speed in their lineup (Henderson, Sanchez, Damon) off which 2/3 off it is gone for this season. Sanchez and Damon also bettered their defense up the middle. Floyd did little to help them. Will Todd or Giambi work out for them? Only time will tell, but Boston has gotten slower and defensively challenged. Would Colon help them? Beside the 1 hitter he threw against us in 2000 we really haven't had too tough a time against him. Admittedly, I've always championed Jeremy Giambi as a potential DH replacement for Johnson, but I never envisioned him playing a strong first base or outfield. On the whole a good OBP move by the Sox, but nothing to be afraid of.

Thread Information