NYYF Cy Young

Should the Yankees take a look at David Ortiz (just released by Minnesota)

I know that this forum, and any sports forum for that matter, has a tendency to call for the signing of any free agent, any player on the trading block, or any player who was released or waived. However, the Twins releasing of David Ortiz caught my eye today. Ortiz has been a quiet Yankee killer over the years, as he was always good for at least one homerun off the Yankees each time the Twins came to town. Oritz was a guy on his way to becoming a good power hitter when he broke his wrist in 2001. Last year, as he was working his way back from injury, he still was able to crank out 20 home runs.

I think that one of the things that has hurt the Yankees the past couple of years has been the lack of a big power threat off the bench. Darryl was perfect in that role when he was here, before the cancer re-currence and the drug/legal problems. Chili Davis and Tim Raines, both switch hitters with pop from the left side were worrysome to opposing managers as they made their pitching changes. When the Yankees traded for John Vander Wal, the main reason they did so was because of his proficiency as a pinch hitter, and specifically his ability to drive the ball as a pinch hitter. The Yankees relied on him as a starting player and he wore down (and that is why it is no shock he wasn't offered arbitration). Regardless of whether or not Nick Johnson is around next year, there is a slot on this team for a lefty power hitter off the bench. Why not take a shot at a 27 year old lefty with good power who could end up blossoming into the DH for the Yankees (without NJ, it would make even more sense). Just a thought as we sit and wait for anything to happen with the Yankees...and as time goes by it seems more and more like they are going to pass on the Montreal demands.

Released Outright
    i think the yankees have enough 1st baseman/dh types...

giambi, johnson, zeile.... maybe if johnson is traded.... i'm not sure that ortiz would accept coming off the bench anyway...

Originally posted by KLJ
    i think the yankees have enough 1st baseman/dh types...
    Yeah, with the signing of Zeile there's really no role for Ortiz.

IF NJ is traded, Ortiz would be a great pickup. He had a .500 slugging percentage last year with a HR/AB ration of 1 in 20, which is solid. He would be excellent as the lefty part of a DH platoon with Zeile.

Older
    Mediocire defender
    Injuries
    above average bat

I don't know....

Originally posted by Stealthspy
    Older
    Mediocire defender
    Injuries
    above average bat

I don't know....
    Man, you're making me feel old. Ortiz is 27. Have a little mercy. The rest is right though.

he's a fat and he can't run or field. we have enough DHs. and most importantly, he's very injury prone, which isn't a good sign for someone his age. all the guy does is hit home runs. besides that, he's worthless.

Thread Information