+ Reply to Thread
    Released Outright

The Beginning of the Monkey Dynasty?

Well, much to my dismay, the Angels won the World Series, thanks to Dusty Baker and his bullpen full of chokers.

Is this merely the beginning of the new dynasty? Let's face it, they are young and now they have the experience of what it takes to win it all.
    I see so many similarities between this team and the 1996 Yanks....only the Angels have much better hitters and weaker starters.
    However... look at their bullpen and you will see a carbon copy of the Yankee squad. They even have their heir aparent closer to Percivel in KRod, who turns my stomach by the way! We should have gotten him to replace Mo!!!! Now they have the best bullpen for years to come and a comeback team with a ring!!!

So.. do you think Giambi and the Yanks can take them next year?
    Why?

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    To Answer the Title of this Thread ..... Gee I hope NOT!!!!!!!!

Its bad enough I have to live in the same neighborhood as Angel Fans as well as in the same county!

As to the Yankees & Giambi Taking On the Angels Im not gonna say YES cause I wanted the Yankees to overtake the Angels this year and the
    Angel Fans with their doggone Mascot Monkey & loud noisemakers overtook every postseason team in their path this year. What a Shame! I feel sad for the Giants!

Heres to A Stronger Post Season Yankee Team in 2003!
    Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!
    Oh Yeah and another thing I know Im gonna be sick of real fast hearing about the Angels Winning this World Series for the next Month right here in Orange County and on Local TV!!!!!

Im sick of it already they are televising the news with Angel Bandwagoneers on Every Local Channel this is gonna be worse then the Lakers Winning the NBA Championship!

Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

NYYF Legend

Re: The Beginning of the Monkey Dynasty?

Originally posted by paisano

So.. do you think Giambi and the Yanks can take them next year?
    Why?
    Because the Yankees would have taken them THIS year if our pitching was a little better than junk.

I couldn't be happier that Bonds and Chris Russo's Gnats, lost.

NYYF MVP

Are you nuts? Monkey dynasty?

I can understand momentary insanity. But to suggest this team can have a dynasty after winning 1 championship in 1 trip to the post season since 1986 is a bit exterme.

A Dynasty is something that takes winning over a long period of time, not just 1 year. This same squad could not beat the A's or the M's the past 3 years in there own division...

We can talk dynasty after they win there division perhaps, but for now I think your way out in LF. It's OK though..those stupid red sticks have the effect of making one insane.

What real baseball fan can't clap his or her own 2 hands ??

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    The Celtics' Bull Russell had a dynasty back in the '60s or so w/11 or so rings, beating Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain (often regarded as the better center) many times. If the Angels manage to win 4 more rings before the decade's over, I think we can start that kind of talk, at least of a mini-dynasty.

At present, I think I know of one certain team which has more rings than any other in team sports history, including about 1/4 of those that have ever been dished out in their sport.

The Angles now get to be top dog and get to battle everyone as World Champs, not an easy feat...

NYYF Triple Crown

The beginning of the Monkey Dynasty? NO, NO a thousand times NO.

Let the Angels enjoy their Cinderella season and bask in the glory of their offseason. The clock will strike twelve when they realize what tremendous pressure and a difficult task it is to repeat as World Champs. The Yankees needed this blip, this reality check. They'll be back next year - totally on fire. Angels, beware. I believe the sleeping giant has awoken.

Dee

Re: Are you nuts? Monkey dynasty?

Originally posted by cman
    I can understand momentary insanity. But to suggest this team can have a dynasty after winning 1 championship in 1 trip to the post season since 1986 is a bit exterme.
    i thought this thread was a bit extreme as well... i mean one title? someone has to win it every year...

NYYF Legend

Let's be gracious and let them enjoy the thrill of winning their first title.
    Then let's get our own fire and hunger back and win in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Angels dynasty? Pleeeeeze!
    Their pitching aside from K-Rod and Percival will make it hard for them to repeat. Washburn is the ace of their staff, and he is far from a dominant pitcher. They had a magic carpet ride this year with the rally monkey at the helm.

Released Outright

I was only asking...sheesh ;)

Of course it's premature to even think about Dynasty with the Angels...but I knew it would ignite a fire under most of us if I asked.
    Sure enough... ha ha... good stuff, guys and gals.

I hope the Angels become the 1997 Marlins or 2001 D'backs!
    I really don't think everything will fall into place ever again for the Angels as they did this year. The biggest help was the awful pitching of the Yankees and the brain fart by Art Howe and the much better Oakland A's against the Twins. If the A's took care of business with the Twins, there is no way the Angels with their awful pitching staff beats the A's in a 7 game series. The A's just aren't good in a 5 game series. I still can't believe Howe decided to use the Cy Young winner (most likely) Zito only once!!!!!!!! He's as stupid as Dusty Baker and his decision to hit Bonds 4th....and not 3rd or at least have JT Snow hitting behind him!!! Both of them got what they deserved.

Let's see the Angels win the World Series a few more times before we crown the monkey king! Right now, he can enjoy his bananas... but the Yanks will be ready for them next year!

Originally posted by JeanC
    Oh Yeah and another thing I know Im gonna be sick of real fast hearing about the Angels Winning this World Series for the next Month right here in Orange County and on Local TV!!!!!

I feel your pain Jean, I live in AZ & 2001 wasn't much fun. I saw Luis Gonzales hit that game 7 blooper over & over & over... &po'd& &po'd&

Amy

Released Outright
    Originally posted by AZYanksfan

I feel your pain Jean, I live in AZ & 2001 wasn't much fun. I saw Luis Gonzales hit that game 7 blooper over & over & over... &po'd& &po'd&

Amy
    I still can't watch any footage from the 2001 series...I turn my head or change the channel whenever possible! I can't even stomach to watch Tino's or Scott's game tying homers in the 9th inning or Soriano's potential series winning homer in game 7 because it just reminds me of what might have been and what should have been!!!
    I don't think I will ever get over this one.... just like 1960.... all over again.
    (only I wasn't alive then...but can imagine the pain)

You're preachin' to the choir, paisano... 2001 WS still makes my heart ache Since it's AZ's only championship in the 4 major sports EVER, I'm pretty sure I'll have the displeasure of hearing about it for a looooong time...:rolleyes: &po'd&

Released Outright
    Originally posted by AZYanksfan
    You're preachin' to the choir, paisano... 2001 WS still makes my heart ache Since it's AZ's only championship in the 4 major sports EVER, I'm pretty sure I'll have the displeasure of hearing about it for a looooong time...:rolleyes: &po'd&
    I feel your pain... oh, and to add insult to injury and rub salt in the wounds, some idiots from Major League Baseball (I know that's redundant) decided that weak blooper was one of the top 30 moments in baseball history!!!! ARGH!!!!! How insane is that???? Why? It's just the worst move Joe Torre ever made...that's all... (bringing in the infield).

Re: I was only asking...sheesh ;)

Originally posted by paisano

I hope the Angels become the 1997 Marlins or 2001 D'backs!
    I think the 1997 Marlins are a good analogy. I think this Angel club is a flash in the pan. Years from now when people are looking back at this time, I think they will say "The Angels?" How did those people win a World Series." Next year it'll be our beloved Yankees. If not the Yankees then probably Oakland. It WON'T be the Angels.

Being a Southern Californian, I, too, am definitely NOT looking forward to an off-season of dealing with the legions of thunderstick banging, Rally Monkey worshipping, bandwagon jumping morons I've seen here the past month. Still, I go forth in public proudly wearing my Yankees cap, facing the scorn of bandwagoning Angel people, secure in the knowledge that the team I love was, is, and always will be, the greatest team on Earth.

YANKEES FOREVER!!!
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

NYYF Legend

I'm not sure that the Marlins are the right analogy. The Angels seem to be pretty keen on keeping the core together. As has been mentioned in various places, the core places are signed until 2004, giving them stability, which the Marlins obviously lacked. I think they'll be more Diamondbacks-like - postseason contenders, but they needed so many things to go right in October. Kevin Appier must be nearing the end of his usefulness, the bullpen got good at the right time, and Glaus was pretty inconsistent during the regular season.

I see them being 85-90 wins next season, and probably seeing postseason play. But I don't think their rotation is that special compared to New York, Oakland, or even Minnesota, and I would be surprised to see them in the Series next year. Not astounded, but surprised.

I quite like them, actually. The small-ball, few strike-outs, bullpen-reliant scrappy flavor has a certain recent Yankee feel to it, if you squint hard. But then I had no real problem with the Giants, either. Bonds isn't my favorite, but there is an element, to me, of him feeling that he's being suckered into a media game, and he's refusing. Not my choice, but there you go. As long as it's not the BoSox or the Brewers, I'm not going to blow my top over another team unless they do something remarkably stupid.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Only when twin 3 more titles in the next 5 years.

Then call 2002 the beginning of the Monkey Dynasty.

Released Outright

Great points...everyone

I agree... the Angels will more likely follow the Diamondback model than the clearinghouse road taken by the Marlins. They will replace a couple of their starters (add a crafty veteran and a young upstart to go along with that lucky Lackey and the promising but underachieving Washburn) and they will have another true contender and be a reputable defending champion ala Arizona this year.

By the way, until LuGo got hurt in the last week of the regular season, I feared Arizona. I truly think they would have found a way back to the World Series and possibly repeated had that no good rotten weasil not gotten hurt (I'm not bitter). I actually think they were even better than the 2001 edition.... had they remained healthy of course. They had their two aces...who ran out of gas this time around...but they had an even better lineup with the brute Durazo...and that clutch hitting and fielding Spivey....and McCracken! Then they had all that experience, thanks to the Yanks!

My heart's desire was for the Yanks to win it all first....if they couldn't do it, then I just didn't want the Diamondbacks to repeat and actually start any talk about a mini-dynasty....and then I didn't want the dreaded RedSox to win it either........ I also wanted the Braves to win if our Yanks couldn't do it... and then I wanted the Giants to win it, if only for all the old geezers who never got a dinner...or a ring and now never will.

Thread Information