+ Reply to Thread

NL All star Manager...

me and my friends have been having an arguement about who the NL all star manager will be. I said it would be dusty baker regardless of what team he is managing next year. They said it would be the Giants manager next year. Does anyone here know who is right? Thanks

NYYF Legend

Wow I never thought of that. I'd think it would be Baker because he managed the WS NL team. However, I am not sure I am correct. Good luck, I hope someone knows more about this then I do.
    Let's Go Yankees!

I think it is Dusty regardless, but I'm not sure. Good question. Also, what if someone who made the World Series retired and didn't want to manage?

Originally posted by Soriambi
    I think it is Dusty regardless, but I'm not sure. Good question. Also, what if someone who made the World Series retired and didn't want to manage?
    maybe one of the coaches or the current manager of the team would take over.........

good question

The last time a manager left after bringing his team to the WS was Dick Williams after the '73 A's won the series. He went to manage the California Angels, but still managed the '74 AL all stars. I'm not sure what uniform he wore to the game though.

Well the A's to Angels move kept him in the AL. What if dusty where to go from the NL to the AL to manage say the Mariners, what would happen then? He would after all be an AL manager managing an NL team and would not have first hand experiance playing against AL players and may make poorer choices for the team.

Originally posted by nickzcool51
    He would after all be an AL manager managing an NL team and would not have first hand experiance playing against AL players and may make poorer choices for the team.
    Most NL managers don't have experience playing against AL players, so how would that be any different for Baker? At any rate, I don't think anyone really cares about making better or poorer choices for the team. It's the all-star game.

Owner of a coconut bra. Yankchic22's Avatar
    Look at the shmable of last years all star game. If they didnt know what to do then, why will they know what to do now?

Addicted Member

In the past, the "2nd place" Manager would assume the next summer's All-Star duties...
    Probably LaRussa.....

goof-off to the max. 1-2-3 inning's Avatar
    I never thought about that... it's not often that a manager leaves after taking his team to the WS
    QUICK.

NYYF Legend

Damn- I was hoping Dusty would stay with the Giants and take the whole team to the All Star game so we could bust Mad Dogs hump for all his criticsm of Torre bringing Yankees. (I'm sure Dusty would bring his kid to the game and let him sit in the dugout- Mad Dog will think that's cute but got all over Joe for bringing his brother who survived a heart transplant.
    Last edited by Danmel; 11-03-02 at 03:22 PM.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Jim Roche
    In the past, the "2nd place" Manager would assume the next summer's All-Star duties...
    Probably LaRussa.....
    That'd be great..I'd rather TLR manage the All-Star team than Baker anyway.
    Let's Go Yankees!

I think Dusty would manage the NL team evern if he went to an AL team.

I remember before last season when contraction was the hot talk and there was talk of the D-backs being moved to the AL West if the Twins were booted and the Rangers moved to the AL Central. It was mentioned that Brenly would be in the interesting position of managing the NL All-Stars but not being able to take his own players (ie. Johnson and Schilling as they'd now be AL players)

Originally posted by Jim Roche
    Probably LaRussa.....
    When did that happen?

The Source

Who will manage All-Stars?
    N.L. JOB CHANGES RAISE ANOTHER QUESTION
    By Daniel Brown
    Mercury News
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...ts/4525912.htm

Here's a baseball trivia question: Who will manage the 2003 National League All-Star team?

It's a trick question.

Nobody knows the answer.

A spokeswoman from Major League Baseball said Thursday that her office is pondering the puzzler. MLB will make an announcement as soon as it knows what to say.

Tradition holds that the All-Star managers come from the World Series participants of the previous season.

For the N.L., that would mean the manager of the Giants. But does that mean Dusty Baker, who led the Giants to the Series but will wear a different uniform next season?

Or does it mean new manager Felipe Alou, who now represents the team but had nothing to do with its World Series run?

A long-shot candidate is Tony La Russa, who led the St. Louis Cardinals to the N.L. championship series and holds the distinction of still working for the same team.

A call to the Giants resulted in being placed on hold . . . for . . . a . . . long . . . time.

Spokesman Jim Moorehead came back not with an answer but with precedent: In 1973, Dick Williams managed the A's to the World Series and then wound up at the helm of the California Angels midway through the next season.

Williams managed the 1974 American League All-Stars.

Thread Information