NYYF Legend

It's official, Pettitte was tipping his pitches ...

... in Game Six last year. Jay Bell of the Diamondbacks admitted as much. From today's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/26/sp...ll/26BASE.html

Bell recalled that when the Diamondbacks went home last year, they were confident they could win the last two games.

"We went up against Andy Pettitte in Game 6," Bell said. "We knew it was going to be a tough game, but fortunately we picked up something in his delivery to allow us to have a clear picture of what he was going to throw."

With Pettitte tipping his pitches by the way he held his glove, the Diamondbacks "took good swings at him," Bell said, knocked him out of the game in the third inning and romped past the Yankees, 15-2.

Bell said he believed it was Steve Finley, the team's center fielder, who spotted the telltale signs. "He's pretty good at that," Bell said. "A lot of times he sees stuff nobody else sees."

Re: It's official, Pettitte was tipping his pitches ...

Originally posted by -tz
    ... in Game Six last year. Jay Bell of the Diamondbacks admitted as much. From today's Times:

I wonder if he was doing the same this year in Game Two? Maybe when he gets nervous he does something different. Too bad at last year. Makes you think even more of whaty coulda' been.

Hope that doesn't happen again. I get the feeling it happens in streaks over the season too.

NYYF Legend

I just hope it never happens again.
    Let's Go Yankees!

The story is a year old. It came out after last season that he was tipping..

what's the big discovery?

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Bozidar

There is none. And it remains an allegation.

If a veteran coaching staff filled with alleged geniuses, and with the smartest player in baseball at short, can't spot this we have a VERY serious problem.

More likely it is a matter of Pettitte being unable to properly locate his pitches.

Released Outright
    The pitcher is not alone here...I hear all the gaga over Pettitte..

The Yankees are supposed to have scouts who watch players on other teams to see how to pitch them..it does not happen one time..this goes on all season long....the scouts might have failed to some degree...

Then there is the catcher who calls for the pitch and placement...Jorge could have called a bad game...the man was tired.

Then there is Andy...tipping or not...he did not locate his pitchers correctly to the right people at the right times...

The there is Mel the pitching coach without a mound visit at the right time to break momentum....etc......and then there is Torre who allows the pitcher to stay in the game too long, and allows the the other teams momemtum to carry...

It's all accidental...but preventable.

There there is the opposing batter who, whether you like them are not, are professional hitters..and they WILL hit..and as fate would have it..hit a pitch that was once unhittable before..and do it often and in bunches..

Its not a blame of one person alone....it's also history...lets look to next year.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Bozidar

I know numerous commentators were saying it, but I don't remember hearing it confirmed by anyone on the Diamondbacks before. I could be wrong.

NYYF Cy Young

Well, even if he was, what's more important is this season. He got knocked out early against the Angels and his pitches looked like BIG BEACH BALLS floating up to the plate. Maybe that's what they mean by tipping his pitches.

Released Outright

Re: It's official, Pettitte was tipping his pitches ...

Originally posted by -tz

I don't think it was the glove, I think it was the pitches.

Some pitchers throw certain pitches most of the time. Hitters know that a curve or fastball will probably be thrown next...even when they guess right, they still don't get hits.

Andy has lost his strength and velocity in the post-season in each of the last two years. That worries me because he only pitched a little over half a season in 2K2.

I am a rehab therapist by profession. Pettitte season was very predictable. You can call it tipping pitches but it was the injury brewing that altered his delivery. His delivery actually looked better towards the end of season. I am sure the Yankees have an offseason program that will have him in top shape for next season. Petitite is not a high concern. Put it this way, if I was a GM, I work out a trade dealing Pettitte + for Martinez.

Thread Information