31 60.78%
  • No

20 39.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose

Forum Regular

Pete Rose

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall Of Fame?

Hell yes.

But I also think he should apologise for doing what he did.
    Sign Bryce Harper!!!!
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Yes, he absolutely should. He violated the rules of baseball, and in my opinion he deserves to be banned for life. I disagree with the voters online during the baseball game that if he apologizes for what he did, the ban should be removed. The rules are the rules, he broke them, he pays the consequences. But I honestly don't see what his violation of the rules or the ban have to do with the HOF. If he cheated as a player and his accomplishments aren't real, then that would tarnish his performance on the field, but that's not what happened. His accomplishments are as real as any other player's, and those accomplishments obviously warrant being in the hall of fame. It degrades the Hall in my opinion to keep him or Shoeless Joe out when they're as or more worthy than most of the players who are in there.

He absolutely should be let back in. Now I don't know enough about the evidence they have against him, but why would he keep denying it if he did do it? What does he have to gain? Maybe he really didn't do it. Either way, I think he has been punished long enough and should be let into the HOF and back into baseball. Another reason for this is that Bart Giammiti (sp?) was planning on letting him back after a one year suspension, or at least that is widely believed, but he unfortunately passed away so no one really knows.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    I get the impression Selig's thinking about letting him in anyway. Despite his ban from Cinergy's final game last September, to have him up there at the WS seems like they're trying to eventually smooth out the creases and eventually enshrine him.

As f/the original question, by his playing career, he's certainly earned it, and I remember Hank Aaron saying that he's certainly deserving, including people w/lesser accomplishments already being there. However, I believe that rules are rules, so I'd vote against his inclusion, if it were up to myself.

Released Outright
    he shouldn't even be considered until he admits to and apologizes for betting on baseball and his own team. then the discussion can start... a couple of people said they aren't sure about the evidence against rose... well let me tell you, i read the report and the evidence is overwhelming... he bet on baseball and he bet on the reds... the fact that he keeps denying it is a slap in the face to every baseball fan out there...

Originally posted by KLJ
    he shouldn't even be considered until he admits to and apologizes for betting on baseball and his own team. then the discussion can start... a couple of people said they aren't sure about the evidence against rose... well let me tell you, i read the report and the evidence is overwhelming... he bet on baseball and he bet on the reds... the fact that he keeps denying it is a slap in the face to every baseball fan out there...
    Since you have read the report, I have to trust your judgement of the evidence more than my opinion. If he did bet on baseball, which I do believe that he did judging only by public opinion, however, I think he should not be let in until he apoligizes. When/if he deos apologize there shouldn't be a question that he should be let into the HOF, if not back into MLB. I just think it undervalues the HOF when you have a Bill Mazerowski in and not the All-Time Hit king.

Originally posted by KLJ
    I'm not as familiar with the facts as you are, but I generally understand it to be as you say. But why do you think his ban should have any effect at all on the hall of fame? To me, the Hall is a) to honor baseball's history, and b) largely for the fans. I agree that he should be banned from any involvement in mlb, but I don't see why that should preclude him from being in the HOF.

Yes, but he needs to apologize first, but he's to stubborn and stupid...

I alway felt that reporter "Jim Grey"?, gave him an opportunity to clear the air at that best player event, but most people thought the reporter was picking on Pete...

Pete Rose accepted the lifetime ban. He knew what that implied (if he didn't then he's an idiot who gets what he deserves).

Personally, I don't care if he does admit that he bet on baseball and apologizes. The rules of the game say that if you bet on baseball, you get a lifetime ban. As such, you are not allowed into the Hall of Fame.
    No exceptions for people who admit it and apologize.

Rules either mean something or they don't.
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

I only found this site, which seems to cover the basic isues. Please note, it's a very anti-Jim Gray website:

http://www.everwonder.com/david/jimgray/

Gray's sad sad interview...............

Gray asked Rose, banned in 1989 for gambling, why he hasn't admitted that he bet on baseball.

``I'm not going to admit to something that didn't happen,'' said Rose, baseball's career hits leader. ``I know you're getting tired of hearing me say that. It's too festive a night to worry about it.''

``I mean, show it to me, where is it?,'' Rose asked.

Responded Gray: ``But you agreed to a ban from baseball for life.''

``It also says I can apply for reinstatement in one year. I was looking forward to that day,'' Rose answered.

Rose applied to commissioner Bud Selig two years ago and has not gotten a formal response.

``It's only been two years. He's got a lot of things on his mind,'' Rose said.

Selig has indicated he does not intend to reinstate Rose.

Gray then suggested Rose should perhaps take a different approach by admitting guilt. Rose said, ``You say it hasn't worked, what do you mean?''

Rose seemed surprised by Gray's approach, likening it to a ``prosecutor's brief.''

``You know, I'm surprised you're bombarding me with this,'' he said. ``I'm here to do an interview with you on a great night, a great occasion. You're bringing up something that happened 10 years ago.''

I posted this in a thread earlier this year and my feelings haven't changed in the slightest:

There is nothing about Pete Rose that belongs in the HOF. He bet on baseball while in a position to control the outcome of games. If baseball didn't have proof of this he never would have agreed to a lifetime ban. Let him try to re-write history all he wants. Read the Dowd report.

How about this segment of the agreement he signed:
    Peter Edward Rose acknowledges that the Commissioner has a factual basis to impose the penalty provided herein, and hereby accepts the penalty imposed on him by the Commissioner and agrees not to challenge the penalty in court or otherwise.
    followed closely by this:
    Peter Edward Rose is hereby declared permanently ineligible in accordance with Major League Rule 21 and placed on the ineligible list.
    which was then signed by Charlie Hustle. He could very well have said, "no way I sign that, I never bet on baseball". But it wasn't until after he signed it that he was so adamant about claiming he didn't bet on baseball. Why? Because by signing the agreement Baseball agreed not to make it's evidence public:
    ...and the Commissioner will not make any formal findings or determinations on any matter including without limitation the allegation that Peter Edward Rose bet on any Major League Baseball game...
    So Rose can walk around all day saying baseball's got nothing on him and baseball legally has to keep it's proof to itself. But the Dowd report is public now, so anyone who wants to know the truth can read it themselves. And the truth is that Pete Rose bet on baseball, and that's a bigger sin than anything Strawberry, McSorley or anyone else since the Black Sox have done.
    As KLJ said, the evidence against him is undenible. Click the link above and see for yourself. He compromised the integrity of the game and deserves to be banned.

Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    I only found this site, which seems to cover the basic isues. Please note, it's a very anti-Jim Gray website:

http://www.everwonder.com/david/jimgray/

``You know, I'm surprised you're bombarding me with this,'' he said. ``I'm here to do an interview with you on a great night, a great occasion. You're bringing up something that happened 10 years ago.''
    Hey Pete, I you would of apologized in front on the world, it would of been a great night and occasion, and you would probably be in the Hall of Fame right now...

NYYF Legend

No
    NO
    And Hell No.

That link I posted seemed factually correct to myself, as far as the interview. Anyone disagree w/the accuracy of what was written as far as what Pete Rose and Jim Gray said during the interview?

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar
    Originally posted by NYYFAN

I alway felt that reporter "Jim Grey"?, gave him an opportunity to clear the air at that best player event, but most people thought the reporter was picking on Pete...
    Gray was out of line there.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have asked the questions, but that wasn't the time or the place.

If you want to talk about that, schedule an interview later.

What was so bad was that Gray just wouldn't let it drop.

You asked the question, let it go.

That wasn't the time or the place for a pressing interview like that. It showed poor taste on Gray's part.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Hitman23
    Hell yes.

But I also think he should apologise for doing what he did.
    ditto!
    Let's Go Yankees!

Originally posted by patrick.o
    As KLJ said, the evidence against him is undenible.
    Isn't it also undeniable that he accomplished as much, created as many memories and inspired as many fans as most of the players in the HOF. No one has explained why they think a ban from the sport should preclude him from being included in a hall to honor the game's greatest performers.

NYYF Legend

Rose is a sleazy dirtbag and felon who spent hard time in Federal prison, who has repeatedly lied about his baseball misdeeds, and bet on baseball in direct violation of the most hallowed rules. He consorted with Gangland figures and bookies. He treated his wife like dirt, and never did a charitable thing in his life for anyone else. He maliciously ruined Ray Fosse's career.

All he does now is pimp his junk on the Home Shopping Network.

Baseball HoF Rule #5:

5. Voting Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

He has no integrity, character, or sportsmanship, and should never get in the HoF. He remains arrogant, shameless, and unrepentant.

Don't tell me about Ty Cobb either. Cobb never did hard time, and he went in before the rule was instituted anyway.

Addicted Member

Sticky situation...and I can't say that I really care. I mean, he's a good enough player to be in the HOF, so maybe he should just apologize.

Originally posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    His accomplishments are as real as any other player's, and those accomplishments obviously warrant being in the hall of fame. It degrades the Hall in my opinion to keep him or Shoeless Joe out when they're as or more worthy than most of the players who are in there.
    I agree 100%. I do not care what he did off the field as far as his HOF worth is concerned. He was a phenominal player, one of the best to ever play the game. Keeping him out of the hall is completely wrong and it's just another injustice Selig has done to our game. (I know it was Vincent's doing, but Bud could have overturned that). I do not like the accusations against him at all, and if it is true he is a scumbag for doing it. But how many scumbags that are out there are in the hall, or going to be there? *cough* cough * Bonds *cough* Pedro *cough*
    Sign Bryce Harper!!!!

Keeping him out of the hall is completely wrong and it's just another injustice Selig has done to our game. (I know it was Vincent's doing, but Bud could have overturned that).
    I thought it was the late Commissioner, A. Bartlett Giamatti's doing that banned Rose. Wasn't he the one heavily involved w/the investigation leading to Rose lifetime ban?

Pete Rose's problem is that he's a dumb jock who went through life thinking that his athletic ability made him better than everybody else, only to find out that he's just a human being like the rest of us. When we screw up, we pay the price. He cheated on his taxes and got caught, so he did a light prison sentence. He gambled and created the appearance of impropriety within the sport, so he cost himself his chance to be recognized for his skills. Yes, Rose was good enough that he was probably a first-ballot hall of famer, a shoo-in. But his gambling habits are severe enough to warrant keeping him out of the hall. I disagree with those people who think it would make a difference if Rose just apologized. Sometimes, saying "I'm sorry" isn't enough. And I don't want to hear from those people who think Rose is no worse a person than many other ballplayers. Babe Ruth may have drank to excess and whored around, but as I see it, any damage he did was to himself. The Babe NEVER did anything that would hurt baseball. Petey did. Let him rot in the pergatory that he created all by himself.

Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    I thought it was the late Commissioner, A. Bartlett Giamatti's doing that banned Rose. Wasn't he the one heavily involved w/the investigation leading to Rose lifetime ban?
    You know what, I think you're right. I forgot. I think it was Vincent who vowed when he took over saying as long as he was alive he'd never see Pete in the hall. Selig is just keeping the tradition going.
    Sign Bryce Harper!!!!

You know what, I think you're right. I forgot. I think it was Vincent who vowed when he took over saying as long as he was alive he'd never see Pete in the hall. Selig is just keeping the tradition going.
    I remember that Giammatti (spl?) was very active in the investigation. There was talk of betting slips, phone conversations, etc. I think he was practically one of the people leading the way, and I don't think he was very passive at all in the whole thing.

I don't remember what Fay Vincent did/didn't do, but I think he just merely passed the baton f/the next commish to drop, so to speak.

Thread Information