+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jim - Question

Addicted Member

What is the break down of membership levels - I guess after 10 - I got to be a member and not a rookie - if this info is on here somewhere - just tell me where to find it...

and thanx!!!
    "Live to ride. Ride to live."

Harley:

We don't have "rookies" perse. We only have "New Members". I've never understood why people should be thought of as inferior because they are new.

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

New Member - Minimum Posts: 0
    Member - Minimum Posts: 10
    Senior Member - Minimum Posts: 150
    Forum Regular - Minimum Posts: 250
    Addicted Member - Minimum Posts: 400

Additionally, you can choose your own title after you hit 400 posts. Like I have "Web Servant". It can be whatever you want, but it has to be one or two short words.

New ranks can be added at any time, as more people get more posts, I'll add some more higher ones.

-jim
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Addicted Member

I have never felt inferior but you would be surprised on other sites - so I will say it again - thanks for having probably the friendliest forum I have seen !!!

Originally posted by harley
    you would be surprised on other sites
    Yeah, I've been in that situation, and I've never understood it. The way I see it is that user statuses should reflect contribution, nothing else. So by calling someone a "Rookie", or by calling yourself "Manager/Administrator" you are only setting up the potential for people to feel inferior. Why? Because they don't have 25 posts or whatever it is?? No way, that's ridiculous.

We're all Yankee fans. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only status you should need. I'd rather encourage participation and congratulate members by giving them the ability to be called whatever they want at a certain level. Statuses should be for fun, and not to designate ranks.

It's hard enough to get noticed when you join a community - there's no reason to add the extra feeling of inferiority by calling someone a "rookie". I have trouble calling someone who may have been a Yankee fan for 25 years, and has participated in many messageboards a "rookie" simply because they are new.

I hope that makes sense, it's just a little bit of my management theory - and is largely responsible for the success of this site.

I'm glad you feel comfortable here - one of my main goals is making sure everyone is comfortable here.

-jim

PS: You're welcome
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

NYYF Legend

Jim, just as I already suspected, you're a peach of a guy!

Rita
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Addicted Member

So Jim, what do you want for Christmas???!!!

Thread Information