+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Game 5, 2001 World Series

I've chosen to do a descriptive essay on Game 5 of the 2001 World Series for my English class, more specifically the bottom of the 9th. I want to keep my paper as realistic as possible, so could anyone here who was at that game give me little details that could help? I'm looking for anything - chants, music that was playing, the atmosphere, anything you can think of. I also needsome information on the inning itself - who batted, counts, how they got out, etc. If anyone could provide me with this information, or direct me to somewhere where I could find something, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sarah

NYYF Legend

Paulie! Paulie!

Paulie! Paulie!Paulie! Paulie!Paulie! Paulie!

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)

Re: Paulie! Paulie!

Originally posted by seahorse

Probably one of the most emotional moments in all of sports, i know i was tearing up.... oh here i go again.....

Addicted Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=211101110
    Hope that helps. Good luck with your paper!

NYYF Legend

Best I can do for you:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/po.../2001_WS.shtml

GOOD LUCK!!
    Let's Go Yankees!

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    If you had YES, it was replayed about a week ago. Did you watch it? If you'd like, I could re-watch the tape and tell you what I thought about the top and bottom of the 9th.

nyybeagle46,
    Great game to pick writing a paper on...

If a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a few to moments (in pictures) to ponder as you write your paper...
    Attached Images

Don't think about counts and what innings etc...think about the mood of the city and the country (at that time) and the triumph of the human spirit...

Think about how baseball provides the most memorable moments above all other sports...

What it means to ge a Yankees fan...

Yeah, a Yankees fan!
    Attached Images

The Source

Don't forget Chuckie coming home...
    Attached Images

The Source

Attached Images

Wow. Thanks for the great pics. What great moments those were. After that, on top of the miracle of Game 4, I really thought there was no way the Yanks could possibly lose the Series. All the jokes about the Yankees being God's team, all the talk of Yankee magic, it all seemed true at that moment. We could and would beat anyone, anywhere, and everytime. We were invincible.

Too bad the Series couldn't have ended right there........

Re: 3 Games at Yankee Stadium

Those games have some of baseball's greatest moments etched into my mind forever. Here are just some highlights:

*Shane Spencer making a marvelous catch in the outfield in a clutch position, and Roger Clemens pointing at him in deep thanks as he runs off the mound.
    *The contigent of the crowd shouting "Come on, Yankees!" during the National Anthem.
    *Bob Brenly making the decision to go to "Mo-Man" (Mike Morgan) to get the double-play out with David Justice that didn't quite work out.
    *Brian Anderson smashing stuff in the dugout.
    *Tim McCarver intoning that Mark Grace would have to hit the ball five times to get into the Yankee upper deck...and then Grace plugged one.
    *Rod Barajas (!) of all people homering and making a nice play, and looking to be an October hero.
    *Byung-Hyun Kim, who I had never seen before up to that point, throwing just plain crazy, getting a full count on every batter, and then disposing of them.
    *Tino dumping one off Kim. Paulie going crazy. Spencer jumping over the bar to get out of the dugout in joy. "TI-NO!" chants.
    *Derek Jeter--Mr. November.
    *Damian Miller muffing three popups, and Mark Grace jokingly slapping him on the head.
    *Brenly's smugly satisfied "New pitcher. Kim."
    *Scott Brosius' look of pure happiness as he homers.
    *Silence from McCarver/Buck.
    *Brenly's stunned, living mummy look. Grace comforting a distraught Kim. The slow walk of Brenly out of the dugout to put in Swindell (?).
    *The realization that Game 5 was NOT over yet, as Mariano Rivera got into a major jam...and escaped.
    *Sterling Hitchcock of all people getting outs. "Well, that was easy."
    *Chuck Knoblauch getting some October retribution.

Thread Information