+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Season comes to quick end for Alex Sanchez

This is very sad. I hate to see any player hurt, and it is a shame for him since he has had such a great year! I wish him a speedy recovery.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NAS..._mil&fext=.jsp

09/01/2002 3:29 pm ET
    Sanchez breaks leg, season over
    Brewers top rookie injured stumbling into second base
    By Mark Schmetzer / Special to MLB.com

Alex Sanchez, injured Sunday, leads NL rookies with 37 stolen bases. (Tom Uhlman/AP)

CINCINNATI -- Alex Sanchez's run at the National League Rookie of the Year award is over.
    Sanchez, who'd established himself as Milwaukee's leadoff hitter while enjoying an impressive rookie season, was lost for the season Sunday when he sustained a fractured left fibula in his lower leg in a baserunning mishap. He was scheduled to be examined by Dr. William Raasch, Milwaukee's head team physician, Monday in Milwaukee.

"He'll be operated on [Monday]," manager Jerry Royster said after Sunday's 4-2 win over the Reds.

"It's something that can be fixed," said Dr. Tim Kremchek, the Reds' medical director. "He won't miss a beat next season."

Sanchez wasn't the only Brewers player looking at surgery. Royster said left-handed relief pitcher Shane Nance would need surgery to repair a torn right bicep he sustained while swinging at a pitch in the ninth inning of Saturday's 11-2 win over Cincinnati.

"It's a freak thing," Nance said. "It doesn't feel too bad. Yesterday, when I did it, it felt like a pulled muscle. It doesn't hurt as much as you'd think it would."

Nance, who was acquired with pitcher Ben Diggins from Los Angeles for Tyler Houston earlier this season, had no record and a 4.26 ERA in four games. He joined the Brewers on Aug. 24 when his contract was purchased from Triple-A Indianapolis, and he made his Major League debut against Pittsburgh that day.

Sanchez was on first base with nobody out in the eighth inning Sunday when Ronnie Belliard laid down a sacrifice bunt. There was no play at second base. Sanchez was hurt while making an awkward slide. He came off the base and was tagged out while lying on his stomach, screaming in pain.

Alex Sanchez / OF

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 180
    Bats/Throws: L/L

More info:
    Player page
    Stats
    Splits
    Hit chart
    milwaukeebrewers.com

"It was a matter of indecision as to whether he would slide or stand up," Royster said. "He turned around and saw there was going to be no play [at second], so he decided to stand up and his spikes caught."

"Maybe he'll learn from it," veteran third baseman Lenny Harris said. "He could've been hurt earlier in the season. He doesn't slide, and it caught up with him. It's a learning process."

Sanchez, one of the NL's most exciting rookies, had become a spark at the top of the Brewers' batting order. Going into Sunday's games, he was second among NL rookies with a .290 batting average and seven triples. His 37 stolen bases led all NL rookies and was fourth overall in the league. Sanchez was third among rookies in runs, hits, RBIs, total bases and multi-hit games, fourth in walks and slugging percentage and fifth in doubles and extra-base hits.

He hit his first Major League homer Saturday night. He also was hitting .319 with runners in scoring position.

"He's our Rookie of the Year. He's been the backbone of the ballclub," Harris said.

"Nothing can take away from the year he's had," Royster said. "His year is what it is. Over the last month of the season, I was looking forward to the stolen base part of it."

Royster compared the injury to the dislocation and torn ligaments that outfielder Geoff Jenkins sustained earlier in the season.

"You go back to Geoff Jenkins," Royster said. "When he got hurt, we were told he was lucky it wasn't broken. Now we've got one broken. Hopefully, the rehab won't be anything that goes into next season. It was hard to see him out there. You don't like to see that. He's having a hard time with it."

Mark Schmetzer is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Let's Go Yankees!

I saw that on Baseball Tonight. Too bad .

NYYF Legend

That's terrible ... makes me think how fragile ANY player's glory is.

Fracture of the Fibula the bone behind your Tibia (Shin Bone), is generally not too serious. It can be a problem on the lower part that helps make up the ankle. My guess he will be fine for next season.

NYYF Legend

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Released Outright
    I didn't know my cousin played for the Brewers. Seriously though, hope he gets better and is ready to go next season. Poor kid.

Thread Information