+ Reply to Thread
    Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Why is there a Players' Union?

Right before the agreement was reached, three teams called player representatives and said that they would not go on strike.

So why the hell is there a Players' Union?

Your Union is supposed to go out there and get the best deal possible for you.

By telling the Union that you won't strike, you handcuff the Union, forcing them to take whatever deal is on the table at the last minute, giving the owners a victory like the one they got today.

And if you're going to gift-wrap a win for the owners anyway, then why even discuss a strike. Just finish out the season and let them implement whatever rules they want to at the end of the season. It's pretty much the same outcome.

Also, why the hell would you wait until now to say that you won't strike?

If you're not going to go on strike, say that when you're discussing setting a strike date.

Then at least it's a bargaining chip.

But if you wait until the last minute, the reps have no time to factor that into the negotiation equation.

Not to mention that if the owners get wind of that, all leverage goes right out the window.

Also, if replacement players in '94 were outcast because they refused to go along with the Union. Does that mean that 75 players are now viewed as "scabs." They refused to go along with the Union, so all three teams should be outcast the way the '94 Scabs were.

It just seems to me that the Union went in there trying to get a deal that was fair for the players, and that the players themselves then handcuffed the Union, forcing them to give in to the owners.

The way I see it, if you're going to do that, there's not much point in having a Union at all.

ask Curt Flood .... his campaign was righteous ...now it's just organized legal extortion ...and bud selig is still a chump

I think we are the chumps as long as we continue to buy the rhetoric from both union and owners. Down here in AZ I heard nothing else for three months from Schilling but "We are not giving in to luxury tax/salary cap/youknowtherest". Now this afternoon he said on Phoenix Radio Sports 910 "We knew all along we would have to give in to luxury tax etc." If that is true [and it is a bold-faced lie] then what in the world went on for the past month? If they KNEW they were going to cave in to the luxury tax/redistribution of George's $$, why wasn't this done four weeks ago? Or last winter? Fans got suckered once again. Everyone picking sides when there really was only ONE side. Actually there are two sides: Fans and everyone else. I am taking a vacation from all this until I feel a lot less angry than I do today.

Still Pissed in AZ

Account Pending Approval
    Originally posted by tobyinaz
    I think we are the chumps as long as we continue to buy the rhetoric from both union and owners. Down here in AZ I heard nothing else for three months from Schilling but "We are not giving in to luxury tax/salary cap/youknowtherest". Now this afternoon he said on Phoenix Radio Sports 910 "We knew all along we would have to give in to luxury tax etc." If that is true [and it is a bold-faced lie] then what in the world went on for the past month? If they KNEW they were going to cave in to the luxury tax/redistribution of George's $$, why wasn't this done four weeks ago? Or last winter? Fans got suckered once again. Everyone picking sides when there really was only ONE side. Actually there are two sides: Fans and everyone else. I am taking a vacation from all this until I feel a lot less angry than I do today.

Still Pissed in AZ
    I can understand your frustration over the misleading that went on, but you can't really blame either side for that. They were in the middle of a negotiation and outright lying is part of the process. The trouble is that MLB is about the only business in the planet that is forced to conduct it's labor negotations on television.

Thread Information