+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NYYF MVP

Cub Caught Sleeping During Game

(Henceforth, Cubs will only be allow to sleep on the field itself, whether during at bats, when on base, or while pursuing fly balls.)

ESPN.com

Thursday, August 15

Kimm addressess sleeping incident with meeting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs manager Bruce Kimm called his first significant team meeting on Wednesday to remind his players to stay awake after a player was caught sleeping in the Wrigley Field clubhouse during Tuesday's game. The Cubs lost the game to the Houston Astros 5-4.

Kimm gave his players a lecture on being prepared and acting professionally.

''We are way back, but you can still go about things in a championship way,'' Kimm told the Chicago Sun-Times after his record fell to 16-18. ''It's not a knock on any one person. It's just a few small things that I feel in order for the Chicago Cubs to be world champions someday, those things have to be done.

''I want to make sure things are done the way I want them done. It's something I (needed) to call maybe for me more than the players. It's just touching base with the guys.''

The meeting seemed to have an impact on many of the players.

"I think it was definitely needed," Kerry Wood told the Chicago Tribune. "This meeting probably could have happened two weeks into the season and it might have been a different story. Bruce had some things to say and I think guys listened. Everything he said I agreed with 1,000 percent."

"You have to be on top of your job," Sammy Sosa told the Tribune. "You have to do whatever it takes to perform and help the team. That's what I'm doing every day.

"Sometimes it's tough to wake up day by day at 8, but you have no choice."

Kimm may have believed some players were taking advantage of his willingness to blame himself. For example, Kimm took the blame when he removed starter Matt Clement after six innings against the Cardinals only to see the bullpen blow a five-run ninth-inning lead in a 10-9 loss on July 28.

''I'm going to go ahead and do this my way, and I want the players to know what my way is,'' Kimm told the Chicago Sun-Times. ''Being here as long as I have, hopefully I know the team a little better. Are we getting the job done? No, not quite. But the guys are trying hard.''

After Wednesday's meeting, the Cubs lost to the Astros 4-3 to drop to a season-worst 18 games below .500.

The Source

Re: Cub Caught Sleeping During Game

Originally posted by Sandman
    "You have to be on top of your job," Sammy Sosa told the Tribune. "You have to do whatever it takes to perform and help the team. That's what I'm doing every day.

Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio were ripping Sosa because of this quote. I find it tough to wake up at 6 to do my boring meaningless job but I do it for about what he gets in meal money for the week. :rolleyes:

NYYF HOF

Re: Cub Caught Sleeping During Game

Originally posted by Sandman

My heart really bleeds for him....:rolleyes:

How I would love to sleep until 8:00 every day, & I'd do it for a lot less money than Sammy Sosa's getting.

NYYF Triple Crown

STL, MO--Supposedly Baseball Heaven, but I'll take the Bronx over STL anyday
    The Cubs have been sleeping for quite some time now....

Now THERE is a Captain !! SanFrANSKY's Avatar
    I was wonderng...why are there so many daytime Cubs games?

NYYF HOF

Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
    I dunno....

Last night during the game, Kay said that it took Giambi awhile to get used to playing at night so much, as Oakland played so many day games. Giambi said he understood that in NY, they play at night because more people want to see the games.

Maybe if the Cubs and the A's played at night, more people would watch them play.

NYYF MVP

Cubs have fine attendance, due to Wrigley. The Expos and Marlins could play at 5AM, for all anyone cares.

NYYF HOF

Re: Re: Cub Caught Sleeping During Game

Originally posted by cb2u

How I would love to sleep until 8:00 every day, & I'd do it for a lot less money than Sammy Sosa's getting.
    cb I thought the same thing when I read that quote. Bunch of spoiled idiots.

NYYF Legend

Maybe I missed it, but anyone know WHO was sleeping??

NYYF Legend

They used to be all day games until they put the lights in.
    There is an agreement with the neighborhood that they will play X amount of night games and the majority during the day.

Released Outright
    Originally posted by wexy

They used to be all day games until they put the lights in.
    There is an agreement with the neighborhood that they will play X amount of night games and the majority during the day.
    Each have their own special feature to them. I personally love a good night game, but you sure can't beat the day game either. Geez, I just love all games at the stadium.

#1 BronxBomber Enthusiast JeanC's Avatar
    Country living at ITS BEST! Indiana of Course!

Re: Re: Cub Caught Sleeping During Game

Originally posted by cb2u

Sammy Always seems to have this same disease he cant kick!
    Its called "Foot in Mouth" !

Also I thought most clubs had curfews! I know they used too years ago.
    But you think the Cubs would still have curfews because of their many day games!
    Yankees Are Still the Best in the MLB! Better than ALL the Rest!!!!!

It's the end of the summer. The Cubs are ready to hibernate. Please, step quietly around them. And whisper. Especially if you're at the game. Don't cheer too loudly. In fact, don't cheer at all. If you want to show your support, just hold up a sign. The sleeping cubs thank you.

This has been a message from the Hibernating Cubs Society
    "Ave! Bosso nova, similis bossa seneca!" - Night Watch (Terry Pratchett)

Visit The Longest Thread Ever!

NYYF Triple Crown

Poor Samy.

Maybe Sosa and the offending player could get new jobs as homeless unemployed people and sleep late under the freeway overpass of their choice. No more getting up at the ungodly hour of 8 am. No brutal interviews with the press. No pressure to perform. No more rude stewardesses on charter flights declining to provide sexual favcors in the galley.

Perhaps Sosa and many of his overpayed comrades would prefer to give up the torturous suffering of MLB in favor of a night school teaching position in a south Bronx public school. Oh that's right, I forgot many of them can barely read and teaching GED students would be far beyond their reach. They could apply for a janitor's position but that might require them to get out of bed early so I guess that's off the list.

I must be from another freaking planet. The only people that I know that are not up before 8 am either do shift work, are retired, or dead. Frankly many retired people would find Samy Sosa's schedule too empty for their tastes. I have an 82 year old uncle that(along with my 84 year old aunt) gets up early to volunteer to help children read 4 days a week. He can't do five days because on the fifth day he serves on the national safety board as a consulting engineer. I am sure he is in tears over the plight of MLB players and owners at this very moment.

Maybe we could cut out food stamps to poor children and divert the money to MLB players and owners. Why are all those useless old people getting "free" sociol security checks? They don't have to get up by 8 AM so Scamy Sosa and his buddies should get their money instead of them.

This is the same Scamy Sosa that was discovered to be faking a charity foundation. The "foundation" was all there except for Scamy's cash. Better to let Dominican children starve rather than part with a few thousand when you have milions. What could be more pathetic than a millionaire faking a charity for poor children?

If these guys were any further out of touch you would need a space shuttle to visit a stadium.

Simple. To keep them awake. If they played more night games there would be more snooziing cubs, especially since they have to get up at 8am every day.

I guess if they strike they'll get to sleep in for a while....

-reb

Thread Information