+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

B-B.com HtH League Newsletter - Week 13

Few exceptional performances this week, with only one scores over 350 – however, four of the five scores over 300 came to teams with sub-.500 records. That probably just goes to show something, but I sure don’t know what. This week’s average score, by the way, was the highest so far, at 287.1. No changes at the top, but both the Michigan Wolverines and the Bad News Bears saw the chasing pack advance after losses. More trouble for the Mantle Division as they get their asses handed to them by the Ruth Division.

Ruth Division (37-23)
    DiMaggio Division (28-31)
    Mantle Division (24-35)

Results

West Haven Yankees defeated Bambino’s Ghost by 272 – 252 points
    Lords of Flatbush defeated Bad News Bears by 302 – 252 points
    YankeesRule2002 defeated Saxmania’s Swingers by 324 – 237 points
    Cunning Linguists defeated FP Balloon Knots by 384 – 324 points
    YRMbombers2002 lost to Babe’s Piano Playaz by 213 – 272 points
    German Gold Gloves defeated Michigan Wolverines by 299 – 290 points
    Italian Ice lost to Buckeye Bombers by 273 – 312 points

Team of the Week: Cunning Linguists (384 points)
    Luckiest team of the week: West Haven Yankees/Babe’s Piano Playaz (won with 272 points)
    Unluckiest team of the week: FP Balloon Knots (lost with 324 points)
    Match-up of the week: German Gold Gloves vs. Michigan Wolverines (9 points' difference in the result)

Tables

Ruth Division

Lords of Flatbush (10-2, 311.7 point average)
    West Haven Yankees (9-3; 298.5)
    Cunning Linguists (9-3; 253.2)
    YankeesRule2002 (6-6; 259.5)
    YRMbombers2002 (3-9; 245.8)

DiMaggio Division

Michigan Wolverines (10-3; 306.8 point average)
    Junior’s Bashers (7-5; 302.1)
    Buckeye Bombers (5-7; 249.1)
    German Gold Gloves (4-8; 268.3)
    Italian Ice (2-10; 225)

Mantle Division

Bad News Bears (7-5; 258.3 point average)
    Bambino’s Ghost (6-6. 265.2)
    Babe’s Piano Playaz (5-7; 274.2)
    Saxmania’s Swingers (5-7; 254.8)
    FP Balloon Knots (3-10; 261.7)

Match Reports

Win streak up in smoke as Floyd blasts Gloves past Wolverines

The DiMaggio Division-topping Michigan Wolverines saw their seven week winning streak curtailed by the German Gold Gloves this week, missing out on another victory by just nine points. Cliff Floyd provided the muscle, hitting three out while driving in eight and walking an additional seven times. The rotation was consistently impressive, with all of the first four starters winning their outings, although Byung-Hyun Kim appeared suddenly vulnerable by allowing seven runs in three innings of relief. Still the Gloves head into their Week 14 match-up with the Italian Ice in high spirits.

Several weeks of sub-300 scores came back to haunt the Wolverines, as they missed the chance to pull further away from the resting Bashers. It certainly wasn’t the fault of the locked-in Jeff Kent, with a grand total of 29 total bases and 14 RBIs, while Torii Hunter also visited the basepaths frequently. Randy Johnson did his bit, hurling down eight innings of scoreless ball for a win. Andy Ashby was the obvious villain of the piece, letting ten runners touch home plate in his two starts, while neither Matt Morris nor A.J. Burnett could hold down the other side. Juan Uribe (1 time on base) and Andruw Jones (2 base hits) were also significant absentees. Two weeks off for the Wolverines now, with a bye week followed by the All-Star Break.

Linguists work late to put away tidy Knots, won’t be shaken from Ruth Division pursuit

A very large number of innings pitched, not to mention six wins and a complete game for the rotation, propelled the Linguists to their highest score of the year, and kept them just one game away from the head of the Ruth Division. Two wins for Mark Mulder, seven shutout innings for Jamie Moyer, and another pair of wins for Jason Johnson were eye-catching, although Johnson was rewarded with a trip to the bench for the next game. Some useful hitting from Juan Encarnacion and Rafael Palmeiro pushed the Linguists well into the clear, and will give them added confidence as they touch down in the U.K. for their Week 13 clash with the Swingers.

The Balloon Knots put together a very credible total, with some stingy pitching, but suffered from an unbalanced line-up. Magglio Ordonez hit safely ten times and drove in eleven, while Darin Erstad recorded 27 total bases and seven RBIs, for a grand total of exactly 37 points apiece. But J.D. Drew embodied the weak hitting of the remaining hitters, with only two singles and a walk all week. The points were mainly generated by the pitching, with three wins and four saves, plus at least nine strikeouts from three starters. However, Greg Maddux’s failure to continue after five shutout innings will be in the back of the Knots’ minds, as he failed to pick up a win. The YRMbombers are next to face the Knots, and will need to be on their guard after such a strong showing.

Lords ride individual performances, Pyrrhic victories only for the Bears

Five home runs for Mike Sweeney, four from Paul Konerko, and three from Jorge Posada, plus a one-hitter from Odalis Perez, were enough for the Flatbu................es to coast to victory against the Bears. Perez allowed just one hit and one walk in his complete game win, while six Lords hitters drove in at least five runners. However, there appears to be some fragility beneath this superficially overpowering display, as only one other starter picked up the win this week, while Junior Spivey and Jermaine Dye were content to hide behind their team-mates. A crumb of comfort, perhaps, for Bambino’s Ghost, who next face the Lords.

The Bears have now lost three straight, but, in the slumping Mantle Division, still hold the lead. This week saw several wins from the pitching staff, with impressive outings for Marquis, Halladay, and Weaver, although Eric Milton’s start was less than successful. But a lack of saves from the bullpen, added to only one hitter with over four RBIs and more than one homer (Pat Burrell), meant that the Bears couldn’t compete with the Lords. This marks six weeks since the team last topped the 300 mark, leaving them without a run of form leading into next week’s match against the YankeesRule2002.

Leiter keeps West Haven in the hunt, relief work can’t save Ghosts

Not one of their most dominating performances, but, after a loss in Week 12, West Haven will be happy to get back on the winning track against the Ghosts. Al Leiter did much of the hard work, seemingly motivated by his upcoming free agency, and throwing thirteen innings for a win and twelves strikeouts. No other starters were as effective, although Jose Jiminez in the bullpen kept things neat with three hitless innings for two saves. Hitting was very weak, with a paucity of extra-base hits, and even the heavy hitters not managing to reach base much. The room for improvement is very much evident as the Yankees prepare to host the Playaz.

Seven saves from the bullpen, including three each for Danny Graves and Mike Williams, should have been the finishing touch to a mammoth total for the Ghosts. However, with the entire rotation going winless, those saves (alone with a lone win for Graves) ended up being the only real accomplishment of the pitching staff. The hitters were little better – D’Angelo Jiminez managed a surprising eleven runs batted in, while Ray Durham and Sean Casey also earned their pay this week. But neither Preston Wilson nor Raul Mondesi were on form, and nor were the Ghosts. They will have to get back there next week if they wish to halt the Lords of Flatbush.

Buckeyes as hot as anyone, put away improving Ice

For a team that went through the entirety of the first half of the season with only a single win to their name, the Buckeyes are almost unrecognisable in the second half. Winning four on the trot, their active win streak is bettered only by the Linguists, and has propelled them back into contention within the DiMaggio Division. This week’s win was fuelled by a complete game from Aaron Seleplus four homers for Jim Thome and the rediscovery of Mike Cameron’s swing as the Seattle outfielder drove in ten. However, the sorely-felt absence of Darryl Kile may next week eat into the Buckeyes’ points against the returning Bashers.

The Italian Ice are showing signs of following the Buckeyes out of an extended slump, with 273 points their highest total since Week 3. Four saves for John Smoltz in the bullpen, plus Mo Vaughn’s new power swing and Moises Alou’s on-base skills, were the primary catalysts. These plus points disguised problems, however, with disaster starts for Estaban Loiaza and Jeff D’Amico, plus a strange lapse in Trevor Hoffman’s accustomed dominance. Still, the improvement is encouraging for the Ice, who can build on this success with an intradivision win against the Gold Gloves.

Armas, Jr takes Swingers out of the game, Rulers edging back into contention

Two wins and fourteen whiffs for Expos starter Armas, Jr led the Rulers back to the .500 mark, and the team are not yet out of touch with the pennant race. With the arrival of Bartolo Colon in Montreal, the pressure on Armas, Jr. will only be reduced. Carlos Lee, Gary Sheffield, Bret Boone, and Jason Giambi were all solid in the line-up, and Robb Nen was nearly perfect in his five innings of work, closing out three saves. The only way is up for the YankeesRule next week, as they meet the slumping Bad News Bears.

More misery for the Swingers, rapidly approaching the record for longest losing streak in the league, although superstars are slowly returning to the line-up. Yet again, Alex Rodriguez was the only hitter to instil fear in opposing pitchers, although Jose Cruz offered some backup. Other than those two, no other hitter managed more than two extra-base hits. There was no help from the rotation, either, as the usually-reliable Barry Zito was eminently hittable this week, and only the bullpen did their job, cobbling together six saves in 4.2 innings. The streaking Linguists will be rubbing their hands with delight at the thought of Week 13’s match-up with the Swingers in this kind of form.

Playaz getting back in the game, YRM looking for luck

As the rest of the Mantle Division appear to be treading water, the Babe’s Piano Playaz have the opportunity to climb back into contention for the pennant, and this week saw them take advantage of it. Home run hitting from Eric Chavez and Barry Bonds laid the foundation, with Bonds also drawing twelve free passes to go with his three long balls, and Mariano Rivera did the best he could with his limited save chances. However, the rotation was not as strong, with no pitcher shutting down the opposition offence, and Mike Mussina and Vincent Padilla each needed two starts to rack up solo wins. But excellence was not needed this week, and so the Playaz advance to face West Haven with hope for the rest of their season.

Some strange phenomena this week for the YRMbombers, who saw Ryan Dempster pitch a complete game without being credited with the win, while Shawn Green went deep three times but was only walked twice. Despite Green’s recent power surge, he seems unable to draw free passes, limiting his value to the Bombers. Craig Counsell provided all-around hitting, but at the moment there are too many holes in the Bombers’ line-up to carry an all-out assault. Dempster’s 16 Ks and workhorse performances also went unmatched by the rest of the pitchers, leaving the Bombers looking for a change in fortune next week against the Balloon Knots.

Fixtures

Week 14, June 30th:

Babe’s Piano Playaz v West Haven Yankees
    Bambino’s Ghost v Lords of Flatbush
    Bad News Bears v YankeesRule2002
    Saxmania’s Swingers v Cunning Linguists
    FP Balloon Knots v YRMbombers2002
    Italian Ice v German Gold Gloves
    Buckeye Bombers v Junior’s Bashers

Notes

Not much to say, really. I hate everyone in the world, naturally, but then I am playing the part of Bud Selig, so that shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. All-Star Break soon, so a little time off for lazy ol’ me. There hasn’t been much interest in the franchise records, so I’ve pushed them back a little – they’ll still be up soonish, if things go according to plan. And since when has that ever happened before?

Oh, and for the record, Boz, you scored 316 during your bye week.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Attached Files

thanks sax

NYYF Legend

Thanks Sax. Man, I'm addicted to these recaps.

NYYF Triple Crown

Thanks Commish

Another win.. watchout Italian Ice , the Gold Gloves are hot right now
    Attached Images

SASSY!! NICE JOB!!

Addicted Member

Wow, wwwmajorleague... that is soooo close to my real last name, it's like you've got esp!

Good luck this week

Thanks Saxman, awesome job as always.

Now THERE is a Captain !! SanFrANSKY's Avatar

Thanks Sax !!

As always, great job.

BTW, I had Mo on the bench this past week...he didn't come off the DL until Tuesday.

But you were dead on about my pitching. I pulled off a couple of deals that hopefully will remedy that sorry situation.

hey sax.. how many points did i have last week? Was it worth it to have the bye, or did i miss out on pounding some folx down? Just curious!

Career Minor Leaguer 1TonHumanHamsterWheel's Avatar
    I don't believe it. I go on vacation, one of my players dies the same day, and I come back to find out that I won both weeks? I thought Darryl Kile would lead the Cardinals to a World Series appearance this year; that's why I picked him. Unfortunately, he did not make it. He will be very hard to replace (and he still takes up a roster spot this week). At least I still have Tim Hudson-- still want to trade for him Ansky?

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Bozidar
    hey sax.. how many points did i have last week? Was it worth it to have the bye, or did i miss out on pounding some folx down? Just curious!
    I tagged it on the end of the newsletter after your comment in the other thread - I make it 316. Not bad, but the Buckeyes (your next opponents) scored 312 this week. I wouldn't numerate your farmyard fowl any time soon.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Thanks Sax...see ya in two weeks...two...very...very...long...weeks...

I still rule the division, eh hem...
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

Originally posted by Coney36
    Thanks Sax...see ya in two weeks...two...very...very...long...weeks...

I still rule the division, eh hem...
    the empress speaketh... nice job so far...

Originally posted by 1TonHumanHamsterWheel
    At least I still have Tim Hudson-- still want to trade for him Ansky?
    if he's available, i'm yer guy...

Originally posted by Saxmania
    I tagged it on the end of the newsletter after your comment in the other thread - I make it 316. Not bad, but the Buckeyes (your next opponents) scored 312 this week. I wouldn't numerate your farmyard fowl any time soon.
    Be seeing you,
    Saxmania
    Thanks.. it's nice to see that when my boys take a week off, they can still beat slackers like the Lords of Flatbush. Just gotta get em up for the big showdowns..

Nice job by Nomo last night

btw.. Kurt.. i agree with ya. WT's done a great job so far..

Thread Information