+ Reply to Thread

Barry Bonds is talking and nobody is listening

I'll have to see the clips or read more complete quotes but it sounds like whining and it sounds like his team mates are about fed up

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0619/1396644.html\

Bonds says he'll take matters into his own hands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

SAN FRANCISCO -- In the wake of the latest pitcher to throw near him -- Tampa Bay's Travis Harper, who buzzed Barry Bonds on Tuesday night -- Bonds says he'll taking matters into his own hands.

Bonds

"If our pitchers ain't going to do it, I'll defend myself," Bonds told the San Francisco Chronicle after Tuesday's 8-3 loss to Tampa Bay. Harper threw a fastball behind Bonds' knees, nearly hitting him.

Asked if he felt that Giants pitchers weren't protecting him enough, Bonds told the Chronicle: "Ask them."

Said one Giants pitcher to the newspaper: "Is that what he said?" before walking away.

Said another: "I don't care what he said."

Harper hit the Giants' Marvin Bernard to start the ninth inning. Two batters later, he threw a 1-2 fastball that forced Bonds to move forward to get out of the way.

Bonds walked slowly toward the mound, pointing his finger at Harper. Both benches emptied but there was no further incident.

Bonds has been hit by six pitches this season.

"I just had a lot of buildup. That's all," Bonds said later. "Too many balls have been thrown at me in one year, and that's enough. I just couldn't take it anymore. It probably wasn't an intentional pitch. When balls get thrown at you quite a bit, eventually you're going to get upset.

"It's just a lot of frustration, that was all," Bonds said. "Losing doesn't frustrate me. I'm just not going to allow people to throw darts at me anymore. I'm tired of it."

Harper said he wasn't trying to hit Bonds, especially with an 8-3 lead.

"That was a natural reaction to do what he did. That's fine,'' he said. "He's got to understand what I'm trying to do out there and it's not to hit him.''

Information from the Associated Press is included in this report

I thought Estes was trying to protect him

Barry doesn't seem to understand that baseball is not all about him. C'mon, if you're crowding the plate, you're going to get brushed back.

NYYF HOF

Someone should tell the crybaby to take off the armor and back off the plate if he is so annoyed.

Then people wont be throwing at him.

The B in MLB stands for Baseball not Barry and not Bonds.

Originally posted by DkNNy79
    Barry doesn't seem to understand that baseball is not all about him. C'mon, if you're crowding the plate, you're going to get brushed back.
    I agree. He is asking for it. Get off the plate and you won't get hit you moron. Is all that gold you wear somehow retarding your common sense??

He wears a ton of protective equipment up to the plate and then wonders why he gets hit. And his teammates do sound fed up and don't even pay much mind to what he thinks judging from their replies. Calling them out publicly surely isn't going to make them feel more protective of him.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    I'm wondering if Barry charged the mound and got his butt kicked like Robin & Nolan Ryan, would any of his teammates join in or just come out to enjoy the view?

If any of them pull out little pocket cameras, I think the verdict would be in.

Whine, whine, whine. No one cares Barry.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by Bozidar
    I thought Estes was trying to protect him
    ... lmao.
    That's a great line, Boz.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Re: Barry Bonds is talking and nobody is listening

Originally posted by Chris

Said another (pitcher): "I don't care what he said."

Bonds is an idiot. He crowds the plate, and is mad when he gets hit. Idiot

If he did charge the mound, all the other Giants would sit in the dugout and cheer the other team on.

nomaas...the other white meat PippyPinstripes's Avatar
    Originally posted by Hitman23

I agree. He is asking for it. Get off the plate and you won't get hit you moron. Is all that gold you wear somehow retarding your common sense??

What a jerk.

<----- Barry Bonds

Originally posted by yankeesnum1
    <----- Barry Bonds
    LOL!!!!
    That's great!!

Originally posted by yankeesnum1
    <----- Barry Bonds
    I love that one!!

i dunno maybe i'm readin this wrong but i don't think this is a casse of a guy whinin about being itched at... he's jus sayin if my own guys won't cover my back i will, end of a story, and i kinda respect that..

yeah it's a battle over the plate and the pitcher has as much right to it as the batter, but i don't think that's his beef... he's sayin the way this game is played the opposin pitcher can intimidate a guy by plunkin him and the only way to maintain the balance is the threat by your pitcher to retaliate.. if there's no retaliation or threat there of, then the opposin picther has a leg up...

he didn't call a press conference to whine about getting hit, just responded to loaded questions posed after his latets hbp resulted in no retaliation... pitchin in is part of the game, gettin plunked is as well, but retaliation is also a key cornerstone of this war w/in the war and maybe bonds feels some giants picthers aren't holdin up their end of the deal while he's clearly holdin up his by takin the hbp...

Originally posted by Ansky39
    he didn't call a press conference to whine about getting hit, just responded to loaded questions posed after his latets hbp resulted in no retaliation...
    and he made motions to the mound. it's not just that he took his hbp in the armor, and went on his way. he went out as if to challenge the pitcher.

That being said, it is his teammates' job to protect him, no doubt. But he'd need less protection if his arm wasn't in the friggin strike zone.

Quit bitchin to the press, Barry. either keep it in house, or keep it to yourself. Your big mouth makes it harder for your teammates to do what you're asking, because it will seem more intentional now. Tell em behind closed doors..

Originally posted by Bozidar
    and he made motions to the mound. it's not just that he took his hbp in the armor, and went on his way. he went out as if to challenge the pitcher.

That being said, it is his teammates' job to protect him, no doubt. But he'd need less protection if his arm wasn't in the friggin strike zone.

Quit bitchin to the press, Barry. either keep it in house, or keep it to yourself. Your big mouth makes it harder for your teammates to do what you're asking, because it will seem more intentional now. Tell em behind closed doors..
    i got no problem w/ him directing his anger to the mound... that's part of the game... pitcher's gonna take the chance of hittin a guy by pitchin in, they gotta realize there's the potential of em gettin their arse kicked in like my man sweeny did to weaver last seas... it's part of the game...

imo it does seem bonds accepts the possibility of gettin hit as part of the game especially w/ his stance... that would explain the 50 layers of reinforced adamantium coating his arm...

i honestly don't see this as bonds whinin to the press, he's forced to indulge these sprotswriters daily w/ this bs dog and pony show to detail his experiences as he makes history, he's been playin along even though i'm sure the avg ball player would lose his mind havin to deal w/ this bs, (imagine berns givin a daily press conference) he prolly gets hit a lot and maybe he after gettin hit this last time he lost it a lil, and got hit w/ the loaded questions re retaliation right after the game wham we gotta story... imho it's alll ado about nada... like he said, if his pitcher won't cover his back he will and the next opposin pitcher will be sure to have that in his head before he comes in... effective lil subliminal message there imo...

Just his statement "Losing does not frustrate me" tells me all I need to know about him. Losing frustrates the vast majority of players, especially team players, which Steroid King Bonds obviously is not. These guys are professionals, but taking losing hard. If losing does not bother him, then why play the game? It is obvious to me, he plays for personal praises, and not for team achievements. SF will go nowhere as long as he is there.

AJ

Originally posted by Yankee_AJE
    Just his statement "Losing does not frustrate me" tells me all I need to know about him. Losing frustrates the vast majority of players, especially team players, which Steroid King Bonds obviously is not. These guys are professionals, but taking losing hard. If losing does not bother him, then why play the game? It is obvious to me, he plays for personal praises, and not for team achievements. SF will go nowhere as long as he is there.

AJ
    you may be reading a bit much into these quotes... we don't know the context of the question... couldda been,

pencil necked tabloidesque "sports" reporter: "hey bondsy you almost charged the mound yesterday, whatsamatta gettin frustrated by losin?"

bondsy: "nah losin don't frustrate me, but is sucks i ain't got no one watchin my back"

pencil necked tabloidesque "sports" reporter: (typin backage headline in big bold print): Bondsy don't care 'bout losin, pissed that teammates don't retaliate threatens to take matters in own hands

wala we gotta story... once again this is jus my personal take, but this is jus a lotta bs.. people that don't like the guy will never...

You have a good point, Ansky........

But I think everyone knows, especially is teammates, that he is not a "team" player. I still believe SF will go nowhere with him. I do tend to agree, a bunch of weasels who sit behind a desk and write columns, who probably hardly ever played the game sit and spew whatever they want.

AJ

Thread Information