+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Triple Crown

Allez allez les bleus... goodbye France

Sorry, but first of all I have to laugh
    The world champion is out of the World Cup.
    1 tie and 2 losses, that's the out. And the losses came against Senegal and Denmark

We were just sitting in physics when our teacher said "2:0 Denmark" ... YES !

France didn't make a goal in 3 games... I don't know if that ever happened to them.

Denmark's shutout adds to French woes

INCHEON, South Korea (AP) -- Au revoir, France.

The defending champions crashed out of the World Cup in the first round Tuesday -- and scoreless to boot. They lost 2-0 to Denmark, becoming the first champion eliminated in the opening round since Brazil in 1966.

Dennis Rommedahl scored in the 22nd minute and Jon Dahl Tomasson got his fourth goal in three games to ensure Denmark would win Group A. The Danes reached the second round for the second consecutive World Cup and will play either England, Sweden or Argentina in the next round.

France, needing to win by a two-goal margin to advance, couldn't manage even its first goal of the tournament, despite the return of star midfielder Zinedine Zidane.

"We didn't play as we should have,'' coach Roger Lemerre said. "We must accept it as it is. There were lots of little injuries, which means we were never 100 percent in good health.''

Zidane, who guided the French to the 1998 championship at home, came back from a thigh injury that sidelined him for a 1-0 loss to Senegal and a 0-0 tie with Uruguay. But he was unable to create a goal, even though France pressed on offense all game.

"Zidane was back and that was a very big stimulant for them, but we marked him very well and it was difficult for him to come into the game,'' Denmark coach Morten Olsen said.

In Paris, wails of disappointment echoed along the Champs Elysees.

"It's a nightmare,'' said student Jean-Baptiste Golled, as he watched the game on the square in front of City Hall, where a giant TV screen was set up. "In three matches, France did nothing.

"They were far too confident at the start.''

And too anemic throughout, rarely showing the imagination of '98.

Zidane walked off the field with his head hanging, followed by the rest of Les Bleus. Thousands of traveling French fans fell silent and mournfully waved the French tricolor. Danish fans in the opposite corner of the stadium beat on drums and sang "Ole, Ole, Ole.''

Hours earlier, Zidane's inclusion in the lineup inspired wild cheering from the crowd of 48,100. Spectators roared when the face of the France's 10 flashed on a giant TV screen during the national anthem, and again when he took the kickoff to start the match.

But Zidane was not in form, and the French also missed striker Thierry Henry, who was suspended after getting a red card against Uruguay.

France came closest to a goal when captain Marcel Desailly hit the crossbar with a powerful header in the 51st minute. Zidane drove a shot into a defender three minutes later as the French launched raid after fruitless raid on the Denmark goal.

Danish goalkeeper Thomas Soerensen came up with two brilliant diving saves before halftime. France also was victimized by its own sloppiness on offense.

The Danes, who opened with a 2-1 win over Uruguay and then tied Senegal 1-1, got the go-ahead goal when midfielder Stig Tofting floated a cross over from the left side for Rommedahl. He got his right boot to a half-volley and drove the ball wide of Fabien Barthez's outstretched hand.

Tomasson took a pinpoint cross from Jesper Groenkjaer on a Danish counterattack in the 67th and drilled a right-footed shot under Barthez to put the result beyond doubt.

hey your team ain't doin to shabby bro'...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...any_cameroon_1

NYYF Triple Crown

Originally posted by Ansky39
    hey your team ain't doin to shabby bro'...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...any_cameroon_1
    An effin lot of yellow, red, and yellow-red cards... yea... but we won and we're in the next round...

I was never much of a fan of France anyway...wanted Brazil to win in '98...but still, no goals in 3 games???
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

NYYF MVP

Originally posted by Coney36
    I was never much of a fan of France anyway...wanted Brazil to win in '98...but still, no goals in 3 games???
    Their military must have been in charge...

Originally posted by wwwMAJORLEAGUEde

An effin lot of yellow, red, and yellow-red cards... yea... but we won and we're in the next round...
    Slight understatement, a lot of red and yellow cards, 2 players sent off, and a record 16 bookings in total in the game That was 1 wild game
    Congratulations though to your team going through
    I was delighted to see Ireland go through as well.
    Mo

It's a good World Cup so far isn't it?.....

UNFORTUNATELY you Germans just seem to be getting good again... ...

I remember you wwwMAJORLEAGUEde said that you thought Germany would finish second to Cameroon.....

Well it seems you were wrong and good old Ireland are in the next round... ...

I also remember that you wanted England to get beat by Argentina, I'm sure you didn't want England to progress...

And I know why......You'd hate another 5-1 drubbing at The World Cup... ....

Now, that would be embarrassing..... .....

But I look forward to us beating you again!!!....

Now, that would be sweet...... ......

Thread Information