+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

D-Rays' Bierbrodt wounded in shooting

Friday, June 7

Bierbrodt in serious but stable condition

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0607/1392046.html

ESPN.com news services

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was listed in serious but stable condition after being shot early this morning, the team announced on Friday.

Bierbrodt, 24, was wounded while riding as a passenger in an automobile at a drive-thru restaurant. He suffered wounds to his right arm and chest. Devil Rays minor league pitcher John Vigue, a member of the Class-A Charleston RiverDogs, was also a passenger in the vehicle, but was unhurt. Further details are unavailable, but the Devil Rays will hold a news conference later this afternoon to address the incident.

"First and foremost on everyone's mind in the Devil Rays organization is the health and well-being of Nick Bierbrodt," general manager Chuck LaMar said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick. We wish him a full and speedy recovery."

Bierbrodt, a left-hander who pitched with the Devil Rays last season, was optioned to Charleston on Wednesday and pitched that night.

Bierbrodt was expected to be part of the Devil Rays' rotation this season after going 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts with Tampa Bay last year after coming over from the Diamondbacks in a trade. However, in spring training he lost total command, walking 12 batters in 3 2/3 innings, and the team optioned him back to the minors.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yikes! Sounds like some sort of robbery attempt or something. I doubt anyone was trying to assassinate Nick Bierbrodt. Frightening, though! Hope he's okay!

Wow, that's rough. Buying fast food just isn't safe these days.

NYYF Legend

I think it happened when he asked for extra ketchup. :rolleyes:
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

"Hey, where are my fries."

NYYF Legend

"FRIES?? FRIES?? I got your fries ==== right here "
    ***BANG***

The Source

Yikes!! When he pitched at the Trop, they had special priced "Beer and Braut nights". I hope he gets well soon!

Yes, I hope he gets well soon. I don't mean to make light of the situation. Okay, I do, but I still feel bad for him.

NYYF Legend

.... um.
    Yeah, what Jim said.

NYYF Triple Crown

Sad but true, but that happens. I wonder how many people cared if he was a junky somewhere in the Bronx.

Get well soon Nick.

And I thought they were called "DRIVE BYS" not "DRIVE THRUS"

Devoted Member
    Well that is horrible! I hope that he gets well soon.

The Source

More info....

Bierbrodt wounded in shooting
    By Paul C. Smith / MLB.com
    http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...s_tb&fext=.jsp

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Tampa Bay pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was shot two times in Charleston, S.C., early Friday morning. He is listed in stable condition in intensive care at the Medical University of South Carolina.

Bierbrodt, 24, was wounded in the right arm and chest while a passenger in a taxi at a drive-thru restaurant just after 3 a.m. Pitcher John Vigue, also a member of the Class A Charleston RiverDogs, was in the taxi along with an unidentified woman, but neither he nor the woman was harmed.

According to Charles Francis of the Charleston police department, the police report says the three were at an unspecified restaurant when a man on a bicycle rode by. Bierbrodt said something to the bicyclist, Francis said, the man responded and they had a heated discussion. The man then pulled out a small-caliber weapon and shot Bierbrodt twice.

According to a hospital spokesman, Bierbrodt had three entry wounds because one of the bullets went through his right arm into his chest. There is no surgery planned, the spokesman said.

"I hope he's OK, he's one of the nicest guys I know," said teammate Jason Conti, who was traded, along with Bierbrodt, to the Rays from Arizona last year for Albie Lopez and Mike DiFelice. "You hear something like that and it's beyond what you think can happen. I go through drive-thrus all the time. Who ever expects that to happen."

Conti, who played with Bierbrodt at three stops in the minors, said he hopes Bierbrodt can recover quickly and get back to playing baseball.

"If there was anything positive about it, at least it was his right arm," Conti said of Bierbrodt, a left-hander. "Hopefully, he'll be able to catch and throw as well as he could before."

Rays general manager Chuck LaMar told the team about Bierbrodt just before the players took the field for batting practice.

"First and foremost on everyone's mind in the Devil Rays organization is the health and well-being of Nick Bierbrodt," LaMar said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Nick. We wish him a full and speedy recovery."

Bierbrodt pitched with the Devil Rays last season and went 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts. He was plagued with wildness this spring and was put on the disabled list to start the season. He had been playing at extended spring training for the past two months, was optioned to Charleston on Wednesday and pitched for the RiverDogs that night.

According to Charleston police, there have been no arrests in the case.

Paul C. Smith covers the Devil Rays for MLB.com and can be reached at paul.smith@mlb.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

NYYF Legend

I don't think it's nice to make jokes about something like this ... Suppose it had happened to one of the Yankees' players or prospects?

I was shocked to hear about it, and I hope he can recover fully and make it all the way back to the majors. At least he's a lefty, and it was his right arm.

NYYF Legend

I'm happy to be able to report that Bierbrodt has been released from the hospital.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne..._mlb&fext=.jsp

06/15/2002 8:05 pm ET
    Bierbrodt released from hospital
    By Chuck Mulling / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Devils Rays minor league pitcher Nick Bierbrodt was released from a South Carolina hospital Saturday eight days after being shot by an unknown assailant.
    Bierbrodt, who was in serious condition, was shot in the chest and right arm in the June 7 attack and spent more than a week at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.

Bierbrodt will return home to Long Beach, Calif., to begin his recovery. He is expected to miss the rest of the season, but his wounds are not considered career-ending.

Bierbrodt will return to Tampa Bay in the next week to 10 days.

Bierbrodt was shot while sitting in the back seat of a taxi in the drive-through lane of a fast food retaurant at about 3 a.m. on June 7. The attack came two days after Bierbrodt was optioned to the Class-A Charleston RiverDogs.

According to witnesses, a man rode up on a bicycle next to the taxi. After an argument, the man shot Bierbrodt and sped away on a bicyle.

Bierbrodt, orginally drafted by the Diamondbacks, was dealt to the Devil Rays last July and went 3-4 with a 4.55 ERA in 11 starts.

NYYF Legend

I'm glad he's doing better. Reminds of me of the Lyman Bostock
    tragedy from 1978.

Released Outright
    My sister lives in Charleston and told me about this incident. It caught her attention not because it was a ballplayer but because it was a drive-by shooting by a bicyclist!

The Source

Another Devil Rays farmhand shot....

Monday, September 2

Police: James, friend were innocent victims
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0902/1426236.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Durham Bulls pitcher Delvin James was wounded in the left shoulder early Monday in a shooting at a Raleigh restaurant.

Police said James and a friend, Monique McNellie, 23, were shot at about 3 a.m. at the Waffle House restaurant.

James was to be released from WakeMed Hospital later Monday, according to a statement by Rick Vaughn, public relations vice president for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, parent of the Durham team.

McNellie was listed in critical condition with a back wound, according to an unidentified hospital spokesman.

Police said the shooting started during an argument between two groups at the restaurant. Two people left the restaurant and at least one of them fired into the building.

"We believe both victims were unintended victims," Raleigh police Lt. Chris Morgan said. "We don't find any indication they were involved in any altercation with anybody."

James, a right-hander, pitched in five games for the Devil Rays before being sent to the Bulls of the International League. He was 0-3 with a 6.46 ERA with the Devil Rays and was 2-1 with a 3.93 ERA with Durham.

NYYF Legend

That is horrible. I hope both James and Nick get well soon!
    Let's Go Yankees!

Forgive me if I sound like a conspiracy theorist but it would appear that this might be the organization's way of dealing with players that aren't meeting their expectations. Bierbrodt has a lousy spring training - he gets shot. James pitched poorly at the major league level - he gets shot. If I was Tanyon Sturtze (3-14, 5.06 ERA) I'd be looking over both shoulders and buy a bullet-proof vest...I say he gets capped before the end of the season!

James

NYYF Legend

I think I've located the problem, and there's a simple solution.

Get rid of the current Durham Bulls uniforms which feature a prominent "bulls-eyes" on the front and back of the shirt.

Bet that helps.

I wonder if he was trying to buy a beer and a bratwurst.

The Source

Originally posted by PinstripePride
    I wonder if he was trying to buy a beer and a bratwurst.
    That always cracked me up. Whenever he pitched last year, they had Beer and Brat night.

NYYF Triple Crown

I never thought about that "Beer and Bratwurst" for Bierbrodt... but funny... especially since "Bier" is the German spelling of "beer" and well, "Brot" is like "bread"...

Yikes!! I hope both feel better soon. Very sad.

And Stick...you crack me the hell up. I shouldn't be laughing, but I just can't help it.

Waffle House is by far my favorite restaurant in the country. They just don't have them up north .

-jim

Thread Information