+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread: New Column Suggestions?
05-28-02 09:01 AM #1
New Column Suggestions?
Hi ! I'm Steve, and I've recently begun writing a new column for Bronx-Bombers.com, a preview of each upcoming series the Yanks play. I'd like to get some "constructive criticism" on how it reads and what you'd like to see in the column as we go forward.
I'd like to thank Jim for giving me the opportunity to provide information, opinion, and rumor for your enjoyment, and I'd like to thank each of you in advance for any thoughts, comments, or suggestions.
05-28-02 09:22 AM #2
hmm.. i've thought about this, and I think you should have a little sidebar. Something like "What Boz Thinks". Ya know.. get the crazy nutjob fan's opinion You wouldn't even have to ask me what I think each time, just put in: "Boz thinks we'll sweep, hitting 12 homers in this series." Pretty standard, really.
humor aside, i'll critique the Sox one you wrote:
1) I would have given credit to the yanks for the Sox being in first place by a game. It was our team that swept the twinkies 6 games in 9 days.
2) Nice analysis on the late-inning woes of the sox. I wouldn't know where to BEGIN to get numbers like ", since the Sox are a pitiful 1-19 when trailing after 6." Also, it's nice to hear it before we hear some boob like Kay say it
3) I would have covered the 1-5 of the Sox more. That's a LETHAL lineup over there. Yeah, Thurman shut em down last night, but Hitch showed us that they only need one opening to get it going. Lofton, Durham, Ordonez, Konerko, and Thomas -- that's clearly one of the best, 1-5 in the game today (considering the level of play they have right now, anyway). I would have liked to seen more about them.. maybe some cool stat like "they've been feasting on Royal's, Ranger's, and Tiger's pitching all year though, so we don't know if it's real."
4) nice job on the HR's given up by their pitching. Just the kinda cool little stat i like to read about More on this later..
5) another nice job on the middle infield defense. I had no idea Durham was that bad this year. Have his errors been spread out, or clumped together like Sori's?
6) Though I didn't notice it till the end, i think that "division-leading (ugh!) Red Sox. " was the only time you gave away your prejudice. Nice job on that. You even avoided calling them the "sux".
7) On a more serious note about adding something: How about a stats paragraph that lays out the "Beane Count" for both teams. It's a stat thought up by Rob Neyer which analyizes a teams ability to play Billy Beane's style of baseball. That means hitting homers, gettting walks, and having a pitching staff that does the opposite. Pick a stat, any stat. Maybe do a spotlight on someone that's on a nice streak or something. I dunno..
anyway.. take none of this critique as any kind of dislike. I enjoyed the artcile as it is, and it would still be great if you left it the way it was. I just wanted to give you something to think about, and bounce around in your head. You asked for input.. now ya got it
05-28-02 09:23 AM #3
Thanks for contributing to the site!
To be honest, the best people to offer constructive criticism would be the people who visit the site to read the content. I'm hoping that people will add any comments they have here.
I think you do a great job, but it's the opinions of the people who come to this site that really matter.
Well people? What do you think?
05-28-02 10:27 AM #4
an example of a table you might throw in there:
Jim can mak em look a lot prettier, but the content is what's important
Stat Yankees Chi Sox Advantage OPS .842 .784 Yanks (.058) ERA .364 .475 Yanks (.111) Run Diff. (runs scored - runs allowed) +93 +23 Yanks (70) Beane Count 11.0 38.0 Yanks (27.0)
another thing I thought of, which would be really fun for us yanks fans: the total record of our franchise vs their franchise."If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."
05-28-02 10:51 AM #5
Thanks for your suggestions Boz, that's exactly what I'm looking for, as I "aim to please"
05-28-02 10:56 AM #6
Steve, where's the writing for us "regulars" to constructively critique? Either that or I'm too dense to know where it is. :rolleyes:
Boz, what's a .364 or .475 ERA? Wouldn't that be 3.64 or 4.75?
05-28-02 11:03 AM #7Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
where's the writing for us "regulars" to constructively critiqueOriginally posted by sjb23
I've recently begun writing a new column for Bronx-Bombers.com
Here's the direct link:
05-28-02 11:12 AM #8
Jim, thx. I would obviously assume that, but from the main page (http://www.bronx-bombers.com/), I don't see anything that refers to this or any other articles. How else would I know where to find this article?
BTW, you can just call me Brad.
On edit, I now see that the "Preview" was on the right side of the main board. Gee, why didn't I think of that earlier? :rolleyes:
05-28-02 12:34 PM #9
- Join Date
- May 2000
Steve, overall a great job on the article! I don't really have much to offer in the way of suggestions other than to keep up the good work!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)