+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post counts...

NYYF MVP

Post counts...

When you post in the ''game thread forum'' does it count twoards your post count? I thought it didnt but the past few days it has... Also somehow I have like 100 more posts than I should have but thats ok with me

Addicted Member

Re: Post counts...

I apologize for bringing this up again but i just wanted to say that i feel that posts in the game thread should count once again for post counts. I know the concept was to insure quality over quantity, but joining this great site only a year ago after being a guest browser for quite some time, i look at some veteran member post counts of 10000+ and come to the conclusion that i will never amass that many posts because without the game threads counting that just isn't possible. I know everyone says that post counts are not important, and i am in total agreement that they are of the least importance, however i'm sure i am not alone when i say it does bring a certain amount of price in knowing you contributed in a large amount to our family here at nyyfans.com. I know i am still considered a newbie around the forum but i can say i definitely feel at home here (having been an active poster on a couple other yankees boards), and i guess i just feel like i wana one day be able to get my post count to grow as high as some of the older members here on say. I'm aware how childish and immature this sounds to some, but i know i'm not alone with the idea...idk just some food for thought.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

You can be very well known around here by posting thoughtfully and in consideration of others.

If you post recklessly, you'll only leave solid proof that you weren't very thoughtful or considerate.

Post count is nice, it's cutesy and all, but being a contributing member of the "family" is judged not by a number, but by what you post here, now how often you post.

A single well thought out post today means lots more than 10 erratic and meaningless posts yesterday, today and tomorrow.

When I joined this forum in 2001, I saw forumers who had 10,000 posts, and that was extremely high back then. This was when the GTs were posted into the "Yankee" forum. There was no separate GT forum back then.

I certainly hope that you wish to increase your post count with something more meaningful than "He's outta there". What kind of real contribution is that, in the end?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Addicted Member

You are absolutely correct. I couldn't agree with you more that true contributions are more recognized in the long run rather then 100 worthless posts, it's just one of my OCD hangups that i need to get over, im sorry for that.

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    You are absolutely correct. I couldn't agree with you more that true contributions are more recognized in the long run rather then 100 worthless posts, it's just one of my OCD hangups that i need to get over, im sorry for that.
    If you were a li'l toddler, would you be ready to run the Olympics? Or would you first do this in consecutive order?

Say "ga-ga-goo-goo"
    Learn to crawl
    Balance
    Stand up
    Walk
    Trot
    Jog
    Run

You'd do things progressively, no? No then, back to posting here.

Are you going to post in a quality manner? Or are you going to go after 10,000 posts? If people know your name and you're the new guy or gal in town, they say "Hello" to you in a nice way and look forward to reading your posts, does it really matter how many of them (your posts) there really are out there?

Just enjoy your time here, get to know people and keep doing this. Once people get fixated upon posts, it's like we're getting further away from any kind of "community" and closer towards competing with whose post count is higher.

Like I said, just enjoy yourself, and let others enjoy your being here. The rest is easy.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Addicted Member

That's just what i plan on doing your right. It is a silly concept counting posts and worrying about numbers. Thank you for your time and patience, after browsing the website for a couple of years i really started to feel the community and family vibes of the site and i just couldn't resist any longer, i am proud to admit i love it here and am very glad i finally made the decision to join the crowd.

Operation 28

I've been around for 10+ years, have 40,000 posts. That's a little over 4,000 posts a year. I don't know if that's impressive or not, but much of that was built up (at least the first 10,000) when the GT posts weren't in a separate GT sub-forum, but were just regular posts in a thread under the "Yankee" forum. We also had two official thread starters back then (CarolR and JeanC), who were the only ones who ever started threads.

Make friends here, go to the various portions of this website and see what you like. Post into the Trivia forum, talk about baseball. Discuss a Yankee player's performance. Discuss the team. Any Minor League teams that you root for?

Just make sure that you become familiar with people. If someone has few hundred posts, returns often to reply to questions asked of them, I'd say that their name will be familiar to the long-time inhabitants here. Hey, that's all that counts to me.

Post counts don't matter much.
    They're sexy and fun to see, no doubt. But really, as JY said - here, you're judged by the content of your posts, not your amount of posts.

Happy Posting!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Post counts don't matter much.
    They're sexy and fun to see, no doubt. But really, as JY said - here, you're judged by the content of your posts, not your amount of posts.

Happy Posting!
    Thanks, Effy.

I just encourage people to do a few simple thingies:

Make sense
    Be considerate of others in your various postings
    Do a little research of anything that you're unsure of
    Ask questions to things that you still don't understand
    Read somewhat into the thread so that you get the "feel" or "gist" of what's being discussed

I don't think that it's asking for too much from some of the newbies here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Thanks, Effy.

Make sense
    Be considerate of others in your various postings
    Do a little research of anything that you're unsure of
    Ask questions to things that you still don't understand
    Read somewhat into the thread so that you get the "feel" or "gist" of what's being discussed

I don't think that it's asking for too much from some of the newbies here.
    You're Welcome.

I will say though, the one thing I do miss is the Post Count Report we used to have.
    It was really fun to see everyone's post count in one report.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Thanks, Effy.

Make sense
    So.....do as I say, not as I do?
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

i look at some veteran member post counts of 10000+ and come to the conclusion that i will never amass that many posts because without the game threads counting that just isn't possible.
    believe it or not i have never posted in the game threads. lol
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Addicted Member

Thats impressive, and i consider you a very knowledgeable poster. I enjoy reading a lot of your contributions.

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    So.....do as I say, not as I do?
    ^^ Has anyone here ever heard from this woman before?

You're Welcome.

I will say though, the one thing I do miss is the Post Count Report we used to have.
    It was really fun to see everyone's post count in one report.
    All I know is that Vicki has to be our top poster. Anyone who has nearly 60,000 posts can never be topped anytime soon. I've also been on here like 5 years longer than she has. Unreal.

All I know is that Vicki has to be our top poster. Anyone who has nearly 60,000 posts can never be topped anytime soon. I've also been on here like 5 years longer than she has. Unreal.
    Yeah... At one time, many years ago, her and Ihad about the same amount of posts.
    I went away for a while and she hit the accelerator!

Back when I joined "Rich" had the most posts at like 10,000.... I was like, "who has that much time?"

Yeah... At one time, many years ago, her and Ihad about the same amount of posts.
    I went away for a while and she hit the accelerator!

Back when I joined "Rich" had the most posts at like 10,000.... I was like, "who has that much time?"
    Between Rich and that guy Cubswin (who's interestingly, an endless Red Sawx fan), I have no idea how these people did any work. I thought that I had time to post on here. At least I sleep.

Vicki didn't hit the accelerator. She hit the twin-turbos, afterburner ... and the rocket booster, just for good luck. She's "thisclose" to 60,000, which is unheard of, and I'm the same to 50,000. Whenever someone talks enthusiastically about post count, I just say that they can have 'em all. What's the purpose of getting into 1,000 threads if you don't make valid points? Not that I'm such great example, but at least the newbies here should try to do something of quality to spend their time here.

Thats impressive, and i consider you a very knowledgeable poster. I enjoy reading a lot of your contributions.
    Thanks! I do a lot of messing around though. I usually only post in the baseball forums when I have something legit to say.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

I just wanted to say that I wasn't "bashing" Vicki or anything. She's really a good person.

Now I see that Steve has more posts than I do also. Sheesh, now I'm really jealous!!!

Devoted Member

Where does it even show what someone's post count is? I've never seen it.

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TierReservedCreature View Post
    Where does it even show what someone's post count is? I've never seen it.
    If you click on a username>View Profile> About tab, it shows you post counts there. It used to pop up when you hovered your mouse over it but that feature was lost in the software update.
    My Native American name is RunsWithCrashCart.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    If you click on a username>View Profile> About tab, it shows you post counts there. It used to pop up when you hovered your mouse over it but that feature was lost in the software update.
    Long ago when I joined, the post counts were shown in full view everytime that you posted. There was never an area where post counts never counted. To my knowledge, the areas where post counts don't increase are:

Game Thread subforum (under the Yankee forum)
    Post-Count Party subforum (under the Just Conversation forum)

I'm unsure if these posts in the NYY forum count or not.

Devoted Member

So is there still a list somewhere of when your status changes when you get to a certain number of posts? I remember seeing it a while ago somewhere on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TierReservedCreature View Post
    So is there still a list somewhere of when your status changes when you get to a certain number of posts? I remember seeing it a while ago somewhere on here.
    Status? I think that when you post more, you get another added under your username. Beyond that, I don't know what "Status" means.

Devoted Member

Status? I think that when you post more, you get another added under your username. Beyond that, I don't know what "Status" means.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. And status probably wasn't the best word. I meant how you're a 'NYYF Legend' and I'm a "Devoted Member'. I know that title has switched automatically.

Thread Information