+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

B-B.com HtH Weekly Newsletter - Week 5

A few upsets this week – the YRMbombers stormed through their match, while the entire Mantle Division lost their matches. Every home team won, leaving the new standings by division at:

Ruth (15-8)
    Mantle (12-11)
    DiMaggio (8-16)

Results

Bad News Bears lost to West Haven Yankees by 260 – 367 points
    Saxmania’s Swingers lost to Lords of Flatbush by 246 - 293 points
    FP Balloon Knots lost to YankeesRule2002 by 251 – 274 points
    Babe’s Piano Playaz lost to Cunning Linguists by 200 – 213 points
    Bambino’s Ghost lost to YRMbombers2002 by 219 - 383 points
    Buckeye Bombers lost to German Gold Gloves by 221 - 224 points
    Michigan Wolverines lost to Junior’s Bashers by 315 - 362 points

Standings

Ruth Division

West Haven Yankees (5-0; 1676 points)
    Lords of Flatbush (3-1; 1101 points)
    YankeesRule2002 (3-1; 1032 points)
    Cunning Linguists (3-2; 1087 points)
    YRMbombers2002 (1-4; 1236 points)

DiMaggio Division

Michigan Wolverines (3-2; 1547 points)
    Junior's Bashers (2-3; 1422 points)
    Italian Ice (1-3; 880 points)
    German Gold Gloves (1-4; 1259 points)
    Buckeye Bombers (1-4; 1119 points)

Mantle Division

Bambino's Ghost (4-1; 1337 points)
    Saxmania's Swingers (3-2; 1339 points)
    Bad News Bears (2-2; 1028 points)
    Babe's Piano Playaz (2-2; 1000 points)
    FP Balloon Knots (1-4; 1311 points)

Weekly Awards

Team of the Week – YRMbombers2002
    Luckiest Team of the Week – Cunning Linguists (won with 213 points)
    Unluckiest Team of the Week – Michigan Wolverines (lost with 315 points)
    Matchup of the Week – Buckeye Combers vs. German Gold Gloves (3 points’ difference in the result)

League Leaders

Runs scored – Michigan Wolverines (163)
    Homeruns – Saxmania’s Swingers/Babe’s Piano Playaz (46)
    Stolen Bases – Bambino’s Ghost (31)
    Walks – Babe’s Piano Playaz (152)

Wins – West Haven Yankees (21)
    Saves – Bambino’s Ghost (25)
    Strikeouts – Michigan Wolverines (208)
    Earned Runs* – German Gold Gloves (57)
    *lowest in league

Match Reports

West Haven continue dominance over returning Bears

A power outburst from Montreal slugger Vladimir Guerrero, who homered 5 times during the week, guaranteed the Yankees’ position as the only unbeaten team in the league – a distinction that now belongs solely to them. The rotation continued to grab excellent results, with 4 wins and 3 saves, plus a complete game from Jeff Suppan, lifting West Haven over the 350 mark once more. However, the team were unable to grab the weekly point-scoring crown this week. Next week sees the Yankees taking on the second-place Lords of Flatbush in a division showdown that could foreshadow a pennant race in later weeks.

The Bears, fresh from their bye week, were unable to overcome a disappointing outing from Roy Halladay, although 5 HRs from Adam Dunn and 3 for Jeff Bagwell pointed to a line-up that could threaten many opposing teams. A weak-hitting infield was arguably the Achilles’ heel for the Bears, and they will hope to improve over the .500 mark against the Buckeye Bombers starting today.

Schilling and Astacio winners, Swingers losers

The Lords continued their improved run from last week, finding four wins from two starters this week to overwhelm the Swingers. The Arizona right-hander struck out 27 opposing batters, countering the seven earned runs allowed, and the rest of the staff was equally impressive, with four additional wins and three saves from the rest of the pitchers. The line-up offered little run support, but then, it didn’t really need to. The Flatbushers are establishing themselves as a pennant contender, and their showdown with the division leaders could prove an early indicator to future success.

The Swingers, despite a complete game from impressive knuckler Steve Sparks, never got started, with their best homerun hitter languishing on the bench in the form of Steve Finley. Barry Zito’s disastrous 1st inning underlined the failure of their staff to match the Lords, and the team’s power appears to be unpredictable. Next week sees the overseas matchup, as the Swingers meet the Gold Gloves.

Knots can’t find way past recovering Rulers

After a surprisingly poor Week 4, the Rulers bounced back to condemn the unlucky Knots to a fourth defeat. 10 RBIs from Corey Koskie was enough run support for Buehlre, Penny, and Radke to each rack up a win, although Buehlre and Radke weren’t exactly overpowering. Rob Nen shut the door, compiling 3 saves in 4 innings of work.

The Knots, despite a team average of over 250, can’t seem to find a weak opponent, and Todd Helton’s 11 RBIs and Eddie Guardado’s 3 saves were all for naught. Only 1 win from the pitching rotation demonstrated that shutting the door after the game is lost won’t win you many matches. The improving Junior’s Bashers will be the next target for the Knots.

Linguists edge slumping Playaz in low-scoring duel

Despite a low placement in the overall points totals, the Linguists are picking up wins, and have now improved over the .500 mark. Only Jose Rijo disappointed in the rotation, and Geronimo Gil looks a useful contributor to the line-up. Once the pitching staff is healthy, the Linguists could surprise a few more teams. Next week, the Rulers will have to be on their guard.

The Playaz improved only marginally on their Week 4 showing, hitting the 200 mark. The top of the rotation found wins, but Brett Tomko’s outing hurt more than it helped, and the wretched outing for Bobby Abreu damaged the line-up, with Barry Bonds and Carlos Delgado seeing nothing to hit – they totalled 14 walks between them.

YRMbombers on tear, demolish Ghosts

The Bambino ran into a sudden surge from the improving YRMbombers, who posted the highest points total this week in a dramatic reversal of fortunes. Strong outings from the rotation, with complete games from Burba and Vasquez (the latter a shutout) and 2 wins from Kirk Reuter pushed the Bombers towards 400 points. Jeromy Burnitz’s hitting display didn’t hurt, either. The Bombers have now found their first win, and will look to prove that it’s no fluke when they return from their upcoming bye week.

Just 4 HRs and 1 triple let the Ghosts down, although feeling as if they had run into a brick wall might also have been a factor. Jon Lieber pitched a complete game but couldn’t get a win, and almost no run support was available to protect the rotation. The Ghosts still lead their division, but lose their perfect record, and will have a difficult match against the Wolverines next week in which to make amends.

Gloves rob Bombers in close one to get first win

The Germans busted out the whupping stick, with 4 HRs each from Cliff Floyd and Tony Batista powering them to 13 HRs and the team’s first ‘W’. 3 saves from Byung-Hung Kim and 10 innings of scoreless relief was enough to edge the Gloves over the Bombers, with just 11 runs allowed by the entire pitching staff. The Gloves will look to build on this next week against the Swingers.

Mike Cameron’s heroics notwithstanding, the Buckeyes are in search of power, with corresponding shortages of walks and RBIs. Still, Aaron Sele’s two wins and Tim Hudson’s gem was nearly enough to lift them over the Gloves, and the Buckeyes will be determined to rise above fifth position in their division. The Bad News Bears will stand in their way, starting today.

Wolverines run into Bashers’ bombardment

The Wolverines are hitting some excellent opponents, this being the second time them have scored over 300 but still lost. The Bashers were the victors this week, with gems from Freddy Garcia and Scott Erickson, plus a complete game from Bartolo Colon. Despite new recruit Paul Byrd’s 9 ER, Sammy Sosa’s power boosted the Bashers over 300 for the second time this year. Finding out if they can do it again will be the Balloon Knots.

Matt Morris pitched well for Michigan twice, but neither time was rewarded with a win, hurting the Wolverines’ score. Andruw Jones is also forming a minor hole in the line-up, with just 1 RBI, and 6 GIDPs didn’t help either. The Wolverines are still posting consistent results, but they’re not the only ones right now, and the Ghosts will look to drive that point home next week.

Fixtures

Week 5 May 5th:

German Gold Gloves v Saxmania’s Swingers
    Junior’s Bashers v FP Balloon Knots
    Italian Ice v Babe’s Piano Playaz
    Michigan Wolverines v Bambino’s Ghost
    Buckeye Bombers v Bad News Bears
    Lords of Flatbush v West Haven Yankees
    Cunning Linguists v YankeesRule2002

Notes

The attached Word file will have to come later, as I’m off boozing this weekend. Cubs at Dodgers? Will we ever get off the West Coast?

Good week, by the way – some of the division races look interesting, and special congratulations to YRM for, frankly, ripping the rest of the league apart after a shaky start.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Triple Crown

Wow, finally the first win of the season. Let's hope the Gold Gloves can start a streak and defeat the Swingers in the inter-European game this week.
    The manager has the confidence of the owner again, but not every player has. According to ESPN the Gold Gloves are still looking for a 1B and want to cut their salary by trading Griffey, Grace and Young...

Now THERE is a Captain !! SanFrANSKY's Avatar
    &@$#** Playaz pitchers who don't get run support.

(%^&#$ NL pitchers that give Barry and Bobby nothin' to hit.

^$@#^# Fantasy Baseball.

Ah well, on to Week 6.

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
    &@$#** Playaz pitchers who don't get run support.

(%^&#$ NL pitchers that give Barry and Bobby nothin' to hit.

^$@#^# Fantasy Baseball.

Ah well, on to Week 6.
    Often it's better to be lucky than good! How the hell did I manage to win three games with this MASH unit?

Re: B-B.com HtH Weekly Newsletter - Week 5

Originally posted by Saxmania
    A few upsets this week – the YRMbombers stormed through their match....

I was like really surprised, but on the other hand, I finally won a game!!!! Maybe the firing of my old manager helped me. I don't know.

Team of the Week – YRMbombers2002

WOOHOO!!!

Unluckiest Team of the Week – Michigan Wolverines (lost with 315 points)
    THANK YOU BARTOLO COLON!!!

I was 40 points down going into Saturday

For some reason, i can't win unles Colon pitches a CG Shutout, or at least an 8 inning shutout..

Hopefully my lineup changes will fix that, and i'll start to perform more consistantly.

with gems from Freddy Garcia and Scott Erickson, plus a complete game from Bartolo Colon. Despite new recruit Paul Byrd’s 9 ER,
    Actually, i think Byrd and Erickson sat on the bench this week. I'll go check.

yep. they did

Anyway, Joe Kennedy was royally ................ed by his bullpen last night.. but he pitched a hell of a game against the Sox last night. Worth mentioning, cuz i'm hoping he'll be traded to a REAL team, where they have a bullpen.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Junior’s Bashers v FP Balloon Knots
    Should be a good matchup. I think we were tied in total points going into last week.

I hate this, I have one of the highest point totals in the league but only one win. You're going down Bozidar..

Originally posted by Ryguy22984
    I hate this, I have one of the highest point totals in the league but only one win. You're going down Bozidar..
    I'm ready for you Since I can't face Kurt again this week, i'm going to make YOU my prison wife!!!

The Bambino ran into a sudden surge from the improving YRMbombers, who posted the highest points total this week in a dramatic reversal of fortunes. Strong outings from the rotation, with complete games from Burba and Vasquez (the latter a shutout) and 2 wins from Kirk Reuter pushed the Bombers towards 400 points. Jeromy Burnitz’s hitting display didn’t hurt, either. The Bombers have now found their first win, and will look to prove that it’s no fluke when they return from their upcoming bye week.
    Umm, actually, I just got Dave Burba last week, so it won't count until this week, where I will have a bye. Kirk Rueter did well for me, and I am happy for getting Shawn Green for this week. When Juan Gonzalez comes back, my outfield will be JuanGone, Ichiro, and Green.

Btw everyone, Tim Salmon will be making his first start of the year. Pierre has been a do-nothing for too long. Why don't we give tim a nice warm welcome, and have him hit 5 HRs this week with 15 rbis?

Pete, what makes you think Juan is coming back?

Originally posted by Bozidar
    Pete, what makes you think Juan is coming back?
    I think he's coming back, but it may not be until a couple of weeks. Anyway, I have Burnitz as the replacement.

Re: Re: B-B.com HtH Weekly Newsletter - Week 5

THANK YOU BARTOLO COLON!!!
    Go to hell Bartolo Colon...:finger2:

Go figure Matt Morris pitches an 8 inning shutout and the Cards lose in extra innings 2-1...

Go figure Jeff Cirillo beats the crap out of the Yankees while hitting below .250 and I have him on my bench in favor of a more consistent hitter in John Olerud...

Go figure RJ's back acts up when the Mets are in town...

Go figure I'm the unluckiest team of the week...AGAIN...

Go figure that I should storm back with great vegeance this week as I should be getting two starts each from Burnett and RJ and even as we are speaking, Burnett has already recorded a win for me and out-of-the-blue closer Nunez has recorded another save...
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

Re: Re: Re: B-B.com HtH Weekly Newsletter - Week 5

Originally posted by Coney36
    Burnett has already recorded a win for me
    i got one from piniero

Results

Saxmania’s Swingers lost to Lords of Flatbush by 246 - 293 points
    ahh life is good... i beat boz and sax in back to back weeks... life is soooo goood...

Standings

Ruth Division

West Haven Yankees (5-0; 1676 points)
    Lords of Flatbush (3-1; 1101 points)
    YankeesRule2002 (3-1; 1032 points)
    Cunning Linguists (3-2; 1087 points)
    YRMbombers2002 (1-4; 1236 points)
    nicely positioned like my yanks in second behind the soon to be fadin west haven sox, er yanks...

Schilling and Astacio winners, Swingers losers

The Lords continued their improved run from last week, finding four wins from two starters this week to overwhelm the Swingers. The Arizona right-hander struck out 27 opposing batters, countering the seven earned runs allowed, and the rest of the staff was equally impressive, with four additional wins and three saves from the rest of the pitchers. The line-up offered little run support, but then, it didn’t really need to. The Flatbushers are establishing themselves as a pennant contender, and their showdown with the division leaders could prove an early indicator to future success.
    not to nitpik or nuthin but uhh, actually we're the flatbu................es and we kicked your butt w/ only two outfielders since burks sat out last week... life is sooo good...

Fixtures

Week 5 May 5th:

Lords of Flatbush v West Haven Yankees

Notes

ugghhhh... first i gotta go trhough boz w/ lugo sosa, thomas, and klesko, then sax w/ nevin arod, manny, fonzy and edmonds and now this, brian w/ chipper, vlad glad, grieve and lowell... is it any wonder i give up the most earned runs in the league... yo brian, tell vlad he'd better stay back in the box...

let's go flatbush, clap...clap...clap, clap, clap!!!

NYYF Legend

Ansky, gloating is undignified and belittling. Plus you're ugly.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Ansky, gloating is undignified and belittling. Plus you're ugly.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    oh yeah, well your mom dresses you funny...

LET'S GO FALTBUSH...CLAP...CLAP...CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!
    -afrofan

faltbush? slip of the tongue?

faltbush? slip of the tongue?
    whoops, told ya i wasn't poyfect...

LET'S GO flatbush...CLAP...CLAP...CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!
    -afrofan

Thread Information