+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22
    NYYF Legend

Re: Baseball Quotations

John McGraw

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Ban Johnson?
    Was American League president Ban Johnson that said, "Cincinnati is not a very good baseball town, and I am not in favor of having the American league going into it. There is no truth in the story that we are to go there."

Was said midway into the 1901 baseball season. Wonder what team they were already thinking about moving from its current location?
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck View Post
    Was American League president Ban Johnson that said, "Cincinnati is not a very good baseball town, and I am not in favor of having the American league going into it. There is no truth in the story that we are to go there."

Was said midway into the 1901 baseball season. Wonder what team they were already thinking about moving from its current location?
    They did move two of the eight teams after the 1901 season, so presumably they were already planning ahead. The Milwaukee Brewers went to St. Louis to become the Browns, and the Baltimore Orioles moved...well, we know.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They did move two of the eight teams after the 1901 season, so presumably they were already planning ahead. The Milwaukee Brewers went to St. Louis to become the Browns, and the Baltimore Orioles moved...well, we know.
    Baltimore moved after 1902, and they were definitely planning ahead on that one. Baltimore was just an emergency way station for the New York franchise while they tried to work through some red tape (the Giants were using their Tammany Hall connections to redline the franchise out of NYC).

NYYF Legend

Who said ...

"I don't like to cast aspersions, but a Little Leaguer today can hit the modern ball as far as grown men could hit the ball we played with."
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

NYYF Legend

Who said ...

"I don't like to cast aspersions, but a Little Leaguer today can hit the modern ball as far as grown men could hit the ball we played with."

He retired a Yankee.

I Googled it. We'll see if anyone guesses. I wouldn't have.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I Googled it. We'll see if anyone guesses. I wouldn't have.
    Sounded sorta current, didn't it?

Sounded sorta current, didn't it?
    Yeah, I didn't know "Home Run" Baker was still alive when the term Little Leaguer was in place.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Yeah, I didn't know "Home Run" Baker was still alive when the term Little Leaguer was in place.
    I've read somewhere that Little League Baseball began in 1939, in Williamsport Pennsylvania. Baker lived till 1963.

Thread Information