+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Quotations From Babe Ruth
    "All ballplayers should quit when it starts to feel as if all the baselines run uphill."

"All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it. I get back to the dugout and they ask me what it was I hit and I tell them I don't know except it looked good."

"As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy."

"Aw, everybody knows that game, the day I hit the homer off ole Charlie Root there in Wrigley Field, the day October first, the third game of that thirty-two World Series. But right now I want to settle all arguments. I didn't exactly point to any spot, like the flagpole. Anyway, I didn't mean to, I just sorta waved at the whole fence, but that was foolish enough. All I wanted to do was give that thing a ride... outta the park... anywhere."

"Baseball changes through the years. It gets milder."

"Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world."

"Cobb is a prick. But he sure can hit. God Almighty, that man can hit."

"Don't ever forget two things I'm going to tell you. One, don't believe everything that's written about you. Two, don't pick up too many checks."

"Gee, its lonesome in the outfield. It's hard to keep awake with nothing to do."

"Hot as hell, ain't it Prez (Calvin Coolidge)?"

"How to hit home runs: I swing as hard as I can, and I try to swing right through the ball...The harder you grip the bat, the more you can swing it through the ball, and the farther the ball will go. I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can."

"I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands."

"I don't give a damn about any actors. What good will John Barrymore do you with the bases loaded and two down in a tight ball game. Either I get the money (more than Barrymore), or I don't play!"

"I'd play for half my salary if I could hit in this dump (Wrigley Field) all the time."

"If I'd just tried for them dinky singles I could've batted around .600."

"If it wasn't for baseball, I'd be in either the penitentiary or the cemetery."

"I'll promise to go easier on drinking and to get to bed earlier, but not for you, fifty thousand dollars, or two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars will I give up women. They're too much fun."

"I never heard a crowd boo a homer, but I've heard plenty of boos after a strikeout."

"I won't be happy until we have every boy in America between the ages of six and sixteen wearing a glove and swinging a bat."

"Just one (superstition). Whenever I hit a home run, I make certain I touch all four bases."

"Paris ain't much of a town."

"Reading isn't good for a ballplayer. Not good for his eyes. If my eyes went bad even a little bit I couldn't hit home runs. So I gave up reading."

"That last one sounded kinda high to me."

"The termites (cancer) have got me."

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."

"What the hell has Hoover got to do with it (his contract being bigger than the Presidents)? Besides, I had a better year than he did."

Addicted Member

More quotations

From Jim Palmer regarding Reggie Jackson: "there isn't enough mustard in the world to put on that hot dog"

From Leo Durocher when he managed the Dodgers and someone asked him about the rival Giants: "the Giants, are they still in the league?"

Mickey Mantle: "If I know hitting 40 homers and stealing 40 bases was such a big deal I would have done it every year"

Lefty Gomez on Charlie (King Kong) Keller: "he wasn't found by a baseball scout, Frank Buck brought him back alive"

I apologize if any of these were already listed!

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    Has anyone ever read the book "Oh Holy Cow! The Selected Verse of Phil Rizzuto" ?

A simply wonderful book if you grew up listening to Phil.

NYYF Legend

Hey the Captain

"there is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time or last time. I owe him my best"
    Who can the quote be attributed too?

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Joe DiMaggio
    "A ball player has to be kept hungry to become a big leaguer. That's why no boy from a rich family has ever made the big leagues."

"All pitchers are born pitchers."

"I came up twice in the game with the bases loaded and both times I hit balls into the alley, four-hundred and fifty feet away. Home runs in any other park. Well, each time my own brother robbed me by making catches on the warning track. Instead of a possible eight RBI, or at least five or six, I got nothing. That night, Dom came over to my place for dinner. I remember letting him in the door and then not speaking to him until we were almost done eating. I was that mad."

"I can remember a reporter asking me for a quote, and I didn't know what a quote was. I thought it was some kind of soft drink."

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

"If anyone wants to know why three kids in one family made it to the big leagues they just had to know how we helped each other and how much we practiced back then. We did it every minute we could."

"I feel like I have reached the stage where I can no longer produce for my club, my manager, and my teammates. I had a poor year, but even if I had hit .350, this would have been my last year. I was full of aches an pains and it had become a chore for me to play. When baseball is no longer fun, it's no longer a game."

"If I were sitting down with George Steinbrenner (to discuss a salary) and based on what Dave Winfield got for his statistics, I'd have to say, 'George, you and I are about to become partners.'"

"I'm a ballplayer, not an actor."

"I'm just a ballplayer with one ambition, and that is to give all I've got to help my ball club win. I've never played any other way."

"I no longer have it (desire to play)."

"I think there are some players born to play ball."

"Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that, Mr. Gehrig (contract was only $1,000 more) is terribly underpaid."

"Now I've had everything except for the thrill of watching Babe Ruth play."

"There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best."

"The test of an outfielder's skill comes when he has to go against the fence to make a catch."

"Too many kids today are playing major league ball and don't belong there."

"You always get a special kick on opening day, no matter how many you go through. You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen."

"You start chasing a ball and your brain immediately commands your body to 'Run forward, bend, scoop up the ball, peg it to the infield,' then your body says, 'Who me?'"

NYYF Legend

Quotations About Baseball Rules
    "I made a game effort to argue but two things were against me: the umpires and the rules." - Hall of Fame Manager Leo Durocher

"In spite of their importance we fear there are sections of the Official Rules that are somewhat less than exhilarating. So don't bother your pretty wits about them; simply race through the few pages assembled here and we guarantee that you'll end up knowing more about baseball than any man worth looking at." - A Housewife's Guide to Baseball (1958)

"I try not to break the rules, but merely to test their elasticity." - Owner Bill Veeck, Jr.

"Number one rule, attend to business" - Lefty Grove

"Only in baseball can a team player be a pure individualist first and a team player second, within the rules and spirit of the game." - Branch Rickey

"Players like rules. If they didn't have any rules, they wouldn't have anything to break." - Coach Lee Walls

"Rules are made to be broken, so there won't be any rules." - Manager Billy Herman

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault." - Ty Cobb

"The only thing I believe is this: A player does not have to like a manager and he does not have to respect a manager. All he has to do is obey the rules." - Hall of Fame Manager Sparky Anderson

"I managed good, but boy, did they play bad." -Rocky Bridges

Originally posted by penguin4
    "I managed good, but boy, did they play bad." -Rocky Bridges
    Rocky Bridges was awesome.

Here's a few more:

"You mix two jiggers of scotch to one jigger of Metrecal. So far I've lost five pounds and my driver's license." - Rocky Bridges, minor league manager, on his new diet drink

"The players are too serious. They don't have any fun any more. They come to camp with a financial adviser and they read the stock market page before the sports pages. They concern themselves with statistics rather than simply playing the game and enjoying it for what it is." - Rocky Bridges, from The Sporting News, December 12, 1970

"It's a good thing I stayed in Cincinnati for four years -- It took me that long to learn how to spell it." - Rocky Bridges

"Coaching third with a pitcher on base is like being a member of a bomb disposal squad. The thing could blow up in your face at any moment." - Rocky Bridges

"You know when you've got it made? When you get your name in the crossword puzzles." - Rocky Bridges

"I prefer fast food." - Rocky Bridges, on why he won't eat snails

"No little boy in the hospital asked me to hit one, I didn't promise it to my kid for his birthday, and my wife will be too shocked to appreciate it. I hit it for me." - Rocky Bridges, after hitting his first home run in two seasons

"The more I played with them, the more I found that no one could take a joke - my batting average." - Rocky Bridges, on his two seasons with the Dodgers and his .237 batting average

"The trouble with having a wired jaw is that you can never tell when you're sleepy. You can't yawn." - Rocky Bridges

On Jose Gonzalez changing his name to Jose Uribe: "He was definitely the player to be named later." - Rocky Bridges

"I heard doctors revived a man who had been dead for 4-1/2 minutes. When they asked him what it was like being dead, he said it was like listening to Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto during a rain delay." - David Letterman

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Bill Terry
    "Are the Dodgers still in the league?"

"Baseball must be a great game to survive the fools who run it."

"He (John McGraw) was the type of fellow who would call all the pitches until you got in a spot, then he'd leave you on your own."

"Hitting is business. With two strikes you really protect that plate."

"I don't know what kept me out (of the Hall of Fame), newspapermen or just that you don't want me up here."

"I had great control, I never missed hitting the other's fellow bat."

"I played baseball because I could make more money doing that than I could doing anything else."

"Is Brooklyn still in the league?"

"No business in the world has ever made more money with poorer management."

"To hit .400 you need a great start and you can't have a slump. There year I did it, I was around .410, .412 all season and I was really hitting the ball on the nose."

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Dave Winfield
    "Everyone has a breaking point, turning point, stress point, the game is permeated with it. The fans don't see it because we make it look so efficient. But internally, for a guy to be successful, you have to be like a clock spring, wound but not loose at the same time."

"Good hitters don't just go up and swing. They always have a plan. Call it an educated deduction. You visualize. You're like a good negotiator. You know what you have, you know what he has, then you try to work it out."

"I never had to cheat, I get them with what I got."

"The only players that are having fun are those having a good year, feasting on pitching or blowing down hitters and garnering all the adulation that goes with it. But, if you're not hitting or not throwing well, or are injured, you better look for fun someplace else."

"These days baseball is different. You come to spring training, you get your legs ready, you arms loose, your agents ready your lawyer lined up."

"Tom Cruise only makes one or two film appearances a year. A baseball player can be the hero or the goat one-hundred and sixty-two times a year."

"Pitching is work, Hitting is fun."

-- Pitching star Wes Ferrell, who hit 38 home runs and batted .280 lifetime

NYYF Legend

Home Run Quotations
    "Adios!"
    Wayne Hagan

"Back, back, back, back... Gone!"
    Chris Berman of ESPN

"Bonsoir, elle est partie!" French for "So long, she's gone!"
    Rodger Brulotte

"Bye bye baby!"
    Russ Hodges

"Forget it!"
    Vin Scully

"Get up, get outa here, gone for _____!"
    Bob Uecker

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"
    Jack Buck (after Ozzie Smith home run in 1985 NLCS)

"Goodbye baseball!"
    Dick Risenhoover

"Goodbye Dolly Grey!"
    Leo Durocher

"Hey hey!"
    Jack Brickhouse

"Holy Cow!"
    Phil Rizzuto

"It could be, it might be... It is, A home run!"
    Harry Caray

"It's going, going... gone!"
    Harry Hartman

"Kiss it goodbye!"
    Bob Prince

"Long drive, way back, warning track wall, you can
    touch em' all (player name)."
    Greg Schulte

"Long gone!"
    Ernie Harwell

"Open the window Aunt Minnie, here it comes!"
    Rosey Roswell

"She is gone!"
    Vin Scully on Kirk Gibson's 1988 World Series Home Run

"Tell it goodbye!"
    Lon Simmons / Jon Miller

"That ball is going and it ain't coming back!"
    Jeff Kingery

"That ball is history!"
    Eric Nadel

"They usually show movies on a flight like that."
    Ken Coleman

"Watch that baby... Outta here!"
    Harry Kalas

"Whoo, boy! Next time around, bring me back my stomach!"
    Jack Brickhouse

"You can put it on the board.. Yessssssss!"
    Ken "Hawk" Harrellson

NYYF HOF

Your puny ballparks are too small to contain my gargantuan blasts! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses for a clubhouse feast! - Kenny Mayne

That must be a Homer, Simpson, cuz the pitcher just said D'oh! - Mayne

It's deep, and I don't think it's playable. - Keith Olberman
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

NYYF HOF

Dizzy Dean :

"The doctors x-rayed my head and found nothing."

"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."

"If Satch and I were pitching on the same team, we'd cinch the pennant by July 4 and go fishing until World Series time."

"If I'da known he was gonna throw one, I'da thrown one, too." - Dizzy Dean (St. Louis Cardinals pitcher), after his brother Paul threw a no-hitter in the second game of
    a double-header, after Dizzy threw a two-hitter in the first game
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

NYYF HOF

Lefty Gomez:

"I don't want to throw him nothing. Maybe he'll just get tired of waiting and leave." - Lefty Gomez, answering Bill Dickey's question: What do you want to throw to
    Jimmy Foxx.

"One rule I had was make your best pitch and back up third base. That relay might get away and you've got another shot at him."

"I am throwing twice as hard as I ever did. It's just not getting there as fast."

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Roger Maris
    "As a ballplayer, I would be delighted to do it again. As an individual, I doubt if I could possibly go through it again."

"Candlestick was built on the water. It should have been built under it."

"Every day I went to the ballpark in Yankee Stadium as well as on the road people were on my back. The last six years in the American League were mental hell for me. I was drained of all my desire to play baseball."

"I don't know if I want to go to New York. They'll have to pay me a lot more money because I like it here in Kansas City."

"I don't want to be Babe Ruth. He was a great ballplayer. I'm not trying to replace him. The record is there and damn right I want to break it, but that isn't replacing Babe Ruth."

"I feel that I was a good all-around player, I had good speed, a good arm and could play the outfield."

"I never wanted all this hoopla. All I wanted is to be a good ball player and hit twenty-five or thirty homers, drive in a hundred runs, hit .280 and help my club win pennants. I just wanted to be one of the guys, an average player having a good season."

"I think the most privacy I had was when the game was going on."

"It would have been a helluva lot more fun if I had not hit those sixty-one home runs."

"It's a business. If I could make more money down in the zinc mines I'd be mining zinc."

"It's like obituaries, when you die they finally give you good reviews."

"Maybe I'm not a great man but I damn well want to break the record."

"Now they talk on the radio about the record set by Ruth, and DiMaggio and Henry Aaron. But they rarely mention mine. Do you know what I have to show for the sixty-one home runs? Nothing, exactly nothing."

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Bill Dickey
    "A catcher must want to catch. He must make up his mind that it isn't the terrible job it is painted, and that he isn't going to say every day, 'Why, oh why with so many other positions in baseball did I take up this one.'"

"He (Babe Ruth) hits a ball harder and further than any man I ever saw."

"He (Lou Gehrig) just went out and did his job every day."

"I don't recall your name but you sure were a sucker for a high inside curve."

"I loved to make a great defensive play, I'd rather do that than hit a home run."

"It shore is perty (award) - much obliged."

"You guys got to see this kid (Mickey Mantle) we have in camp. Out of class C ball, hits 'em both ways - five-hundred feet both ways! You've got to see him."

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Mickey Mantle
    "After I hit a home run I had a habit of running the bases with my head down. I figured the pitcher already felt bad enough without me showing him up rounding the bases."

"All I had was natural ability."

"All the ballparks and the big crowds have a certain mystique. You feel attached, permanently wedded to the sounds that ring out, to the fans chanting your name, even when there are only four or five thousand in the stands on a Wednesday afternoon."

"A lot of people wrote that Roger (Maris) and I didn't like each other and that we didn't get along. Nothing could be further from the truth."

"A team is where a boy can prove his courage on his own. A gang is where a coward goes to hide."

"As far as I'm concerned, Aaron is the best ball player of my era. He is to baseball of the last fifteen years what Joe DiMaggio was before him. He's never received the credit he's due."

"But god-damn, to think you're a .300 hitter and end up at .237 in your last season, then find yourself looking at a lifetime .298 average - it made me want to cry."

"Every time I see his name (Dean Chance) on a lineup card, I feel like throwing up."

"Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

"Hitting the ball was easy. Running around the bases was the tough part."

"I always loved the game, but when my legs weren't hurting it was a lot easier to love."

"I could never be a manager. All I have is natural ability."

"I don't care who you are, you hear those boos."

"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress."

"If I knew I'd live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

"I hated to bat against Drysdale. After he hit you he'd come around, look at the bruise on your arm and say, 'Do you want me to sign it?'"

"I'll play baseball for the Army or fight for it, whatever they want me to do."

"In 1960 when Pittsburgh beat us in the World Series, we outscored them 55-27. It was the only time I think the better team lost. I was so disappointed I cried on the plane ride home."

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life."

"It was all I lived for, to play baseball."

"My dad taught me to switch-hit. He and my grandfather, who was left-handed, pitched to me everyday after school in the back yard. I batted lefty against my dad and righty against my granddad."

"Roger Maris was as good a man and as good a ballplayer as there ever was."

"Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'"

"Sometimes I sit in my den at home and read stories about myself. Kids used to save whole scrapbooks on me. They get tired of them and mail them to me. I'll go in there and read them, and you know what? They might as well be about Musial and DiMaggio, it's like reading about somebody else."

"Sometimes I think if I had the same body and the same natural ability and someone else's brain, who knows how good a player I might have been."

"Sorry Mickey, but because of the way you lived on Earth, you can't come in. But, before you leave, would you autograph these baseballs for HIM." - Mantle quoting St. Peter

"The best team I ever saw, and I really mean this, was the '61 Yankees.I never got to see the '27 Yankees. Everyone says that was the greatest team ever, but I think it would've been a great series if we'd have had the chance to play them."

"The biggest game I ever played in was probably Don Larsen's perfect game."

"The only thing I can do is play baseball. I have to play ball. It's the only thing I know."

"They (the Athletics) should have come out of the dugout on tippy-toes, holding hands and singing."

"Today's Little Leaguers, and there are millions of them each year, pick up how to hit and throw and field just by watching games on TV. By the time they're out of high school, the good ones are almost ready to play professional ball."

"To play 18 years in Yankee Stadium is the best thing that could ever happen to a ballplayer."

"Well, baseball was my whole life. Nothing's ever been as fun as baseball."

"When I hit a home run I usually didn't care where it went. So long as it was a home run was all that mattered."

"You don't realize how easy this game is until you get up in that broadcasting booth."

NYYF Legend

JDPNY - I have the Rizzuto book of verse. It's great...

My quote? See my signature line for a great quote by Graig Nettles , who was the most sarcastic s.o.b. ever.... I LOVED his humor.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Phil Rizzuto
    "Here comes Roger Maris, they're standing up, waiting to see if Roger is going to hit number sixty-one, here's the windup, the pitch to Roger, WAY outside, ball one. The fans are starting to boo, low, ball two. That one was in the dirt and the boos get louder. Two balls, no strikes on Roger Maris, here's the windup, fastball, HIT DEEP TO RIGHT, THIS COULD BE IT, WAYYYY BACK THERE, HOLY COW HE DID IT, SIXTY-ONE HOME RUNS!"

"Holy cow"

"I like radio better than television because if you make a mistake on radio, they don't know. You can make up anything on the radio."

"I'll never forget September sixth nineteen-fifty. I got a letter threatening me, Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra and Johnny Mize. It said if I showed up in uniform against the Red Sox I'd be shot. I turned the letter over to the FBI and told my manager Casey Stengel about it. You know what Casey did? He gave me a different uniform and gave mine to Billy Martin. Can you imagine that! Guess Casey thought it'd be better if Billy got shot."

"I'll take anyway to get into the Hall of Fame. If they want a batboy, I'll go in as a batboy."

"There was an aura about him(Joe DiMaggio). He walked like no one else walked. He did things so easily. He was immaculate in everything he did. Kings of State wanted to meet him and be with him. He carried himself so well. He could fit in any place in the world."

"They've got so many Latin players we're going to have to get a Latin instructor up here."

"Those huckleberries in the National League didn't want to do anything (DH in Series) that the American League want to do."

"Well that (Pope Paul VI passing away) kind of puts the damper on even a Yankee win."

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Casey Stengel
    "All I ask is that you bust your heiny on that field."

"Amazing strength, amazing power - he (Ron Swoboda) can grind the dust out of the bat. He will be great, super even wonderful. Now, if he can only learn to catch a fly ball."

"As great as the other men were on the ball club, there comes a time when you get a weakness and it might be physical."

"Been in this game one-hundred years, but I see new ways to lose 'em I never knew existed before."

"Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in."

"Can't anybody here play this game?"

"Don't cut my throat, I may want to do that later myself."

"Don't drink in the hotel bar, that's where I do my drinking."

"Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa."

"He (Babe Ruth) was very brave at the plate. You rarely saw him fall away from a pitch. He stayed right in there. No one drove him out."

"He'd (Yogi Berra) fall in a sewer and come up with a gold watch."

"He (Gil Hodges) fields better on one leg than anybody else I got on two."

"He (Lyndon B. Johnson) wanted to see poverty, so he came to see my team (64 Mets)."

"He (Mickey Mantle) has it in his body to be great."

"He (Mickey Mantle) should lead the league in everything. With his combination of speed and power he should win the triple batting crown every year. In fact, he should do anything he wants to do."

"He (Satchel Paige) threw the ball as far from the bat and as close to the plate as possible."

"He's throwing grounders."

"Hey Heffner, take them down to that other field (St. Petersburg spring training site) and find out if they can play on the road."

"I came in here and a fella asked me to have a drink. I said I don't drink. Then another fella said hear you and Joe DiMaggio aren't speaking and I said I'll take that drink."

"I couldna done it without my players."

"I don't know if he throws a spitball but he sure spits on the ball."

"I don't like them fellas who drive in two runs and let in three."

"If anyone wants me tell them I'm being embalmed."

"I feel greatly honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I've been thrown out of so many."

"If this keeps up (four game winning streak) I'm about to manage until I'm a hundred."

"If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are."

"If you're playing baseball and thinking about managing, you're crazy. You'd be better off thinking about being an owner."

"If you're so smart, let's see you get out of the Army."

"I got players with bad watches - they can't tell midnight from noon."

"It's high time something was done for the pitchers. They put up the stands and take down fences to make more home runs and plague the pitchers. Let them revive the spitter and help the pitchers make a living."

"It's wonderful to meet so many friends that I didn't used to like."

"I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice."

"Kid (Phil Rizzuto) you're too small. You ought to go out and shine shoes."

"Look at him (Bobby Richardson) - he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't chew, he doesn't stay out late, and he still can't hit .250."

"Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits."

"(Mickey) Mantle had more ability than any player I ever had on that club."

"Most ball games are lost, not won."

"Mr. that boy couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of an airplane."

"My health is good enough about the shoulders."

"Nobody ever had too many of them (pitchers)."

"No, even my players aren't players."

"(Roger) Hornsby could run like anything but not like this kid. Cobb was the fastest I ever saw for being sensational on the bases..."

"Say, I've got a tip on the market for you fellows (29 Toledo Mudhens) - buy Pennsylvania Railroad because by tomorrow night about a dozen of you bums will be riding on it..."

"Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant."

"That kid can hit balls over buildings."

"The Mets are gonna be amazing."

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them."

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."

"The trouble with women umpires is that I couldn't argue with one. I'd put my arms around her and give her a little kiss."

"The Yankees don't pay me to win every day, just two out of three."

"They got a lot of kids now whose uniforms are so tight, especially the pants, that they cannot bend over to pick up ground balls. And they don't want to bend over in television games because in that way there is no way their face can get on the camera."

"They're been a lot of fast men but none as big and strong as (Mickey) Mantle. He's gonna be around a long time, if he can stay well, that fella of mine."

"They say he's (Yogi Berra) funny. Well, he has a lovely wife and family, a beautiful home, money in the bank, and he plays golf with millionaires. What's funny about that?"

"They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games."

"They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again."

"This club (69 Mets) plays better baseball now. Some of them look fairly alert."

"Wake up muscles we're in New York now."

"We (the Mets) are a much improved ball club, now we lose in extra innings!"

"Well, that's baseball. Rags to riches one day and riches to rags the next. But I've been in it thirty-six years and I'm used to it."

"We've (62 Mets) got to learn to stay out of triple plays."

"What do you (Mickey Mantle) think (demonstrated a play off Ebbets Field), I was born old?"

"Why has our pitching been so great? Our catcher (Yogi Berra) that's why. He looks cumbersome but he's quick as a cat."

"You can't go out to the mound, hobbling and take a pitcher out with a cane."

"You got to get twenty-seven outs to win."

"You have to go broke three times to learn how to make a living."

"You have to have a catcher or you'll have all passed balls."

"You put the whammy on his but when he's (Sandy Koufax) pitching, the whammy tends to go on vacation."

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Ty Cobb
    "A ball bat is a wondrous weapon."

"Baseball is a red-blooded sport for red-blooded men. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a struggle for supremacy, a survival of the fittest."

"Baseball was one-hundred percent of my life."

"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

"His (Walter Johnson) fastball looked about the size of a watermelon seed and it hissed at you as it passed."

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

"I have observed that baseball is not unlike a war, and when you come right down to it, we batters are the heavy artillery."

"I may have been fierce, but never low or underhand."

"I'm coming down on the next pitch, Krauthead (Honus Wagner)."

"I never could stand losing. Second place didn't interest me. I had a fire in my belly."

"I regret to this day that I never went to college. I feel I should have been a doctor."

"Just speed, raw speed, blinding speed, too much speed (Walter Johnson's fastball)."

"Speed is a great asset; but it's greater when it's combined with quickness - and there's a big difference."

"That boy (Mickey) Mantle is a good one."

"That god damned Dutchman (Honus Wagner) is the only man in the game I can't scare."

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

"The crowd makes the ballgame."

"The great American game should be an unrelenting war of nerves."

"The great trouble with baseball today is that most of the players are in the game for the money and that's it, not for the love of it, the excitement of it, the thrill of it."

"The way those clubs shift against Ted Williams, I can't understand how he can be so stupid not to accept the challenge to him and hit to left field."

"To get along with me, don't increase my tension."

"When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch."

"When I came to Detroit I was just a mild-mannered Sunday-school boy."

"You (Stan Musial) can still run and you still can hit. Drink a little wine before dinner and you'll play for years."

"You've got to remember - I'm seventy-three." On why he would only hit .300 against today's pitchers.

Ty Cobb

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Sammy Sosa
    "At first I thought sixty-one was something special. The sixty-one was something that reminded me of Mark. He hit sixty-one and sixty-two against us. Then I got sixty-two. It was something unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was doing. I couldn't believe what was happening."

"Don't compare me to Babe Ruth. God gave me the opportunity and the ability to be here at the right time, at the right moment, just like he gave Babe Ruth when he was playing. I just hope I can keep doing what I've been doing - keep taking care of business."

"Everyone knows that what happened to me is great, but at the other side I care about winning. I care about the team and the situation right now."

"He (Roberto Clemente) is a hero to me."

"I can't do it every day. They're not going to give me much to hit right now. They're pitching me real well. If I get there, fine."

"I know a little about Hack because his picture is next to my locker. I am lucky to be there at the right time. People will now remember two guys, Hack Wilson and myself, and the season is not over yet."

"I'm not even thinking about passing McGwire. The season will be over September twenty-seventh. Mark will go home, and I will go to the playoffs."

"I'm not keeping track, but the record is there for someone to break."

"I'm not thinking about that, but I'm not going to lie to you - I'm having a good time."

"I'm real happy my name is in the record book, but it means nothing because we lost."

"I'm seeing the ball well. I'm not trying for home runs. I'm trying to hit to right field more. When I do that, the home run comes."

"I said to myself I've got to go up there and do it because the New York Mets keep winning every day. The game was on the line and I wanted to go out there and come through for my team. That win tonight means a lot for us."

"It's going to be unbelievable, you know. There's going to be a lot of people cheering for Mark McGwire and me. And, hey, we'll see how it goes."

"I've always swung the same way. The difference is when I swing and miss, people say, 'He's swinging for the fences.' But when I swing and make contact people say, 'That's a nice swing.' But there's no difference, it's the same swing."

"I would like to have another month like that. It was a pretty good month."

"Mark is the man."

"Mark McGwire is thirty-four years old. I'm twenty-nine. He's probably a little bit tired and I'm just having some fun."

"Mark, you know I love you. It's been unbelievable. I wish you could be here with me today. I know you are watching me and I know you have the same feelings for me as I have for you in my heart."

"My situation is different from Mark's. I'm not looking for home runs, I'm looking for the playoffs."

"Right now what's in my mind is going up there and being disciplined. I was swinging at so many pitches out of the strike zone, and when you do that, you're not going to get a chance to hit strikes. It makes it easier for the pitcher every time I do that."

"To tell the truth, I never think about a homer. I'm just thinking of the situation and what I've got to do when I go to the plate."

"When you're in the middle of a pennant race, you can't go up there thinking about home runs."

"Yeah, I'm surprised that I'm here right now. I have to say everyone was looking at McGwire and Griffey, but you never know in baseball."

"You have to enjoy it. It is not going to happen every year, so this is the year that it is happening and we have got to go out there and enjoy it."

"You never know what can happen. We both have a lot of chances to break it. I'm not thinking about breaking it."

NYYF Legend

Hitting is 50% above the shoulders. –Ted Williams

Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing. –Warren Spahn

Fundamentals are the most valuable tools a player can possess. Bunt the ball into the ground. Hit the cutoff man. Take the extra base. Learn the fundamentals. –Dick Williams

If you can't outsmart people, outwork them. –Bill Veeck

A hitter's impatience is the pitcher's biggest advantage. –Pete Rose

Mental attitude and concentration are the keys to pitching. -Ferguson Jenkins

Good fielding and pitching, without hitting, or vice versa, is like Ben Franklin's half pair of scissors – ineffectual. –Moe Berg

The pitcher has to throw a strike sooner or later, so why not hit the pitch you want to hit and not the one he wants you to hit? –Johnny Mize

Players who commit errors need reassurance from the pitcher, who must harbor no grudges. –Roger Craig

Control is what kept me in the big leagues for twenty-two years. –Cy Young

Playing without the fundamentals is like eating without a knife and fork. You make a mess. –Dick Williams

You can't think and hit at the same time. –Yogi Berra

When you step into the batter's box, have nothing on your mind except baseball. –Pete Rose

The best possible thing in baseball is winning the World Series. The second best thing is losing the World Series. –Tommy Lasorda

Don't worry about your individual numbers. Worry about the team. If the team is successful, each of you will be successful, too. –Branch Rickey

Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever gotten to perfection. –Red Smith

In baseball, you can't kill the clock. You've got to give the other man his chance. That's why this is the greatest game. –Earl Weaver

Managing is like holding a dove in your hand. Squeeze too hard and you kill it, not hard enough and it flies away. –Tommy Lasorda

Pitch within yourself. –Tom Seaver

Associate with those who help you believe in yourself. –Brooks Robinson

If you get fooled by a pitch with less than two strikes, take it. –Ted Williams

Be on time. Bust your butt. Play smart. And have some laughs along the way. –Whitey Herzog

Most one-run games are lost, not won. –Gene Mauch

It takes pitching, hitting and defense. Any two can win. All three make you unbeatable. –Joe Garagiola

Little League is great because it keeps parents off the streets. –Yogi Berra

The saddest day of the year is the day baseball season ends. –Tommy Lasorda

Don't be afraid to take advice. There's always something new to learn. –Babe Ruth

You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possible be – in baseball and in life. –Pete Rose

Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat. –Lou Brock

Take time to thank everyone who has helped you along the way. –Brooks Robinson

Nobody ever said, "Work ball!" They say, "Play ball!" To me, that means having fun. –Willie Stargell

Thread Information