+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

Baseball Quotations

Phil Rizzuto "I'll never forget September sixth nineteen-fifty. I got a letter threatening me, Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra and Johnny Mize. It said if I showed up in uniform against the Red Sox I'd be shot. I turned the letter over to the FBI and told my manager Casey Stengel about it. You know what Casey did? He gave me a different uniform and gave mine to Billy Martin. Can you imagine that! Guess Casey thought it'd be better if Billy got shot."
    Last edited by thecaptain; 04-15-06 at 08:23 PM.

NYYF Legend

I think I remember

Scooter saying that. I also seem to recall Mickey Mantle saying..."If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself" Correct me if Im wrong.

Now THERE is a Captain !! SanFrANSKY's Avatar

Our Game

(my personal favorite)
    SanFrANSKY
    [img]http://nyyfanscom.baseball.sportsline.com/images/team-logo/sanfransky-9angryblue-36x36.jpg[/img] [b]We're Playaz. We're 9. We're Angry.[/b]
    [color=purple]Base: a certain kind of ball.[/color]
    [i]Repair these losses...and be a blessing to us.[/i]

NYYF Legend

Casey Stengel "He'd (Yogi Berra) fall in a sewer and come up with a gold watch." ( this is the site http://baseball-almanac.com/quomenu.shtml)

NYYF Legend

Lefty Gomez
    "He (Jimmie Foxx) has muscles in his hair.">>>>>>>>>>When Neil Armstong first set foot on the moon, he and all the space scientists were puzzled by an unidentifiable white object. I knew immediately what it was. That was a home run ball hit off me in 1933 by Jimmie Foxx."

NYYF HOF

"Luck? If the roof fell in and Diz (Dean) was sitting in the middle of the room, everybody else would be buried and a gumdrop would fall in his mouth." - Leo Durocher

"Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant." - Casey Stengel

and who said economic didn't play a part in the game until just recently?
    "Economics played a role. Raleighs have gone from six fifty to nine dollars a carton, but there's a three-quarter cent coupon on the back. You can get all kinds of things with them, blenders, everything. I saved up enough one time and got Al Bumbry." - Earl Weaver
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

NYYF HOF

"It's a good thing Babe Ruth isn't here. If he was, George Steinbrenner would have him bat seventh and say he's overweight." - Graig Nettles
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston. It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

"Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball, the rules and realities of the game."

ATTRIBUTION:Jacques Barzun (b. 1907), U.S. scholar. quoted in Michael Novak, The Joy of Sports, pt. 1 (1976)

NYYF Legend

Catfish Hunter "He'd (Reggie Jackson) give you the shirt off his back. Of course he'd call a press conference to announce it."

NYYF HOF

"The phrase 'off with the crack of the bat,' while romantic, is really meaningless, since the outfielder should be in motion long before he hears the sound of the ball meeting the bat." - Joe DiMaggio

NYYF HOF

"First I pray to God that nobody hits the ball to me. Then I pray to God that no one hits the ball to Steve Sax." - Pedro Guerrero

"At night time, you just try to keep him out of jail." - David Cone on teammate David Wells

NYYF HOF

And then, there's the classics from Harry Caray:

"Aw, how could he (Jorge Orta) lose the ball in the sun, he's from Mexico."

"There's ball four......ohhhhh! How do you swing at a pitch like that? God
    Damn!"

"Whoever tells you, you can have as good of a time sober as you can
    drunk, is lying to ya."

NYYF Legend

Originally posted by koko
    "First I pray to God that nobody hits the ball to me. Then I pray to God that no one hits the ball to Steve Sax." - Pedro Guerrero

"
    if i remember right Tommy Lasorda ask Pedro what he was thinking about when the ball was pitched...

NYYF Legend

Reggie Jackson "It's a fickle town (New York), a tough town. They getcha, boy. They don't let you escape with minor scratches and bruises. They put scars on you here.">>"In the building I live in on Park Avenue there are ten people who could buy the Yankees, but none of them could hit the ball out of Yankee Stadium."

NYYF HOF

Catfish on Reggie Jackson:

"He'd give you the shirt off his back. Of course he'd call a press conference to announce it."

"When you unwrap a Reggie Bar, it tells you how good it is."

NYYF Legend

i was at the opening day when all those Reggie Bar when onto the field.. i think THE MICK AND ROGER raised the flag that day...

NYYF Legend

Tom Tresh "We never thought we could lose as long as Mickey was playing. The point was, we had Mickey and the other team didn't.........Casey Stengel "One of these days he'll hit the ball so hard, it'll burst and all he'll get for his efforts will be a single." .......Phil Rizzuto "I never saw anybody hit the ball so hard. When he swings the bat, you just have to stop and watch........."Whitey Ford "That's what Mickey was all about - winning. Nobody cared more about winning, and nobody took losing harder."

goof-off to the max. 1-2-3 inning's Avatar
    those are great

NYYF Legend

Uecker were so funny i put them all up...Bob Uecker's quotations came primarily from his broadcasting career where he is one of the most popular radio announcers!
    Last edited by thecaptain; 04-20-02 at 03:10 PM.

NYYF Legend

These were great. I wonder if Uecker is still a broadcaster? I haven't seen him on TV in a long time!

NYYF Legend

Quotations FROM Baseball Movies
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

"God, I just love baseball." - Robert Redford in The Natural (1984)

"If you build it, he will come." - Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams (1989)

"I love baseball. You know it doesn't have to mean anything, it's just beautiful to watch." - Woody Allen in Zelig (1983)

"People all say that I've had a bad break. But today, today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth." - Gary Cooper in Pride of the Yankees (1942) [read Lou Gehrig quotations for the exact speech - lines are correct, but the order has been changed]
    http://baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quogehr.shtml
    "Quit trying to stroke everybody out. Strikeouts are boring and besides that, they're facist. Throw some ground balls. They're more democratic." - Crash Davis to Nuke in Bull Durham (1988)

"The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." - James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams (1989)

"There's no crying in baseball." - Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own (1992

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Red Barber
    "Baseball is dull only to dull minds."

"This is Red Barber speaking. Let me say hello to you all." - First words spoken during the first televised major league game.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Whenever you have a tight situation and there's a close pitch, the umpire gets a squawk no matter how he calls it."

"When I was in baseball and you went into the clubhouse, you didn't see ball players with curling irons."

Common Expressions Used By Red Barber

"He's sitting in the catbird seat."
    He has the lead.

"Hold the phone."
    Manager on the way to the mound.

"Running like a bunny with his tail on fire."
    The player can run really fast.

"The bases are F O B's"
    Full of Brooklyn(s) Dodger players.
    Last edited by thecaptain; 04-22-02 at 04:54 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Miller Huggins
    "A good catcher is the quarterback, the carburetor, the lead dog, the pulse taker, the traffic cop and sometimes a lot of unprintable things, but no team gets very far without one."

"A manager has his cards dealt to him and he must play them."

"Any ballplayers that played for me on either the Cardinals or the Yankees could come to me if he were in need and I would give him a helping hand. I made only two exceptions, Carl Mays and Joe Bush. If they were in a gutter, I'd kick them."-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Miller Huggins once fined Babe Ruth $5,000 for staying out three consecutive nights - this was ten times bigger than any previous fine in major league history!

NYYF Legend

Quotations From Don Mattingly
    "His (Dwight Gooden) reputation preceded him before he got here."

"Has he (Rickey Henderson) ever been here (Spring Training) the first day? You have to say Rickey's consistent. That's what you want in a ballplayer - consistency."

"Honestly, at one time I though Babe Ruth was a cartoon character. I really did, I mean I wasn't born until 1961 and I grew up in Indiana."

"I like being close (moved his locker) to the bats."

"I'd like to say this was our worst game. Unfortunately, I can't."

"The players get no respect around here. They (the Yankees) give you money, that's it, not respect. We get constantly dogged and players from other teams love to see that. That's why nobody wants to play here."

"This guy is working all week and he brings his son to this show, has to pay $2 to get in, maybe $5 for a picture and then $6 for an autograph. These guys have to think you're a real ass with your head down all the time signing."
    Quotations About Don Mattingly
    "I'm glad I don't have to face that guy every day. He has that look that few hitters have. I don't know if it's his stance, his eyes or what, but you can tell he means business." - Dwight Gooden

Joe Dugan on Ruth: "He wasn't a man. He fell out of a tree."

Ping Bodie on rooming with the Bambino on road trips: "I room with his suitcase."

Lefty Gomez to Gehrig the day his streak ended: “Hey Lou, it took them 15 years to get you out of the game. Sometimes I’m out of there in 15 minutes.”

Ruth to pitcher Charlie Root right before he "called" his shot: "I’m going to knock the next pitch right down your god-damned throat.”

Mark Koenig on checking into his room in the newly-renovated Pittsburgh hotel that the Yanks were staying in during the '27 World Series: "I found a step ladder, some workman's tools, and a dirty shirt."

Gehrig right before spring training 1940, the year after he called it quits: “Sure I’d like to be going south with the Yankees. And so, I guess, would about a million other fellows. But I’m luckier than they are-- because I’ve been south with the Yankees.”

"You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Thread Information