+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Re: Baseball Quotations

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    And ...

"And the ball is out here. No, it's not. Yes it is. No, it's not. What happened."

RIP
    You know, anyone other than the Scooter would've been fired over that. Or else taken as seriously as Tim McCarver afterwards. But with Rizzuto, it was totally kosher.

"Trouble on the bridge!" (during every seventh inning before making a hasty departure)
    I remember one time in '96 he said that while Cerone and Murcer were in the booth, and Cerone literally ran behind him and blocked the exit. "I don't CARE if there's trouble on the bridge; you're not going!" he said. I think they got him to stay another half-inning, then they let him be.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Released Outright

Billy Loes: "I lost it in the sun." On a ground ball to the pitcher's mound that went between his legs.

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

One minute interview with Paul Waner:

"My greatest thrill? It was the afternoon at Forbes field when Babe Ruth, then with the Braves, hit three over my head, all clearing the field. The balls looked about the size of white marbles flying high and true. They were homers the second Babe swung. What a man!"
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Who said?

"The game of baseball is a clean, straight game."
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Who said?

Bud Selig?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    Bud Selig?
    Bud Selig of Milwaukee? Yeah ... right. How about another quote from the Milwaukee area ...

"I shoulda knew better. I just didn't have the sense I was born with. It matters. It still matters."

Who said?

President William Howard Taft

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 49andCounting
    President William Howard Taft
    You are correct.

Bud Selig of Milwaukee? Yeah ... right. How about another quote from the Milwaukee area ...

"I shoulda knew better. I just didn't have the sense I was born with. It matters. It still matters."
    From SABR's Bseball Biography Project:
    ...Asinof recounts his interview of Felsch for Eight Men Out, his authoritative 1963 chronicle of the scandal. The former minor leaguer first started his detailed research in 1960 when only four of the eight Black Sox were still alive. Cicotte, Gandil and Risberg either refused or stonewalled Asinof's inquiries. Felsch became his primary source.

During his research, Asinof visited Milwaukee in an attempt to interview the ailing Felsch. Even after receiving repeated phone calls and a letter, the protective Marie continued to turn down the author. Asinof finally mustered enough courage to visit 2460 N. 49th Street only after a man he met in a bar, who had been acquainted with Felsch, described him as a "real good guy" that everybody liked.

Marie relented when the polite yet persistent Asinof appeared at her door with a bottle of Scotch to share with Happy, as Reutlinger did in 1920. She led him to the dark upstairs sitting room, asked for kindness in his questioning, and allowed the two men to spend the afternoon in conversation. Asinof detected hurt, guilt, and remorse in Felsch's voice as he said, "I shoulda knew better. I just didn't have the sense I was born with. It matters. It still matters."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    From SABR's Bseball Biography Project:
    Quote:
    ...Asinof recounts his interview of Felsch for Eight Men Out, his authoritative 1963 chronicle of the scandal. The former minor leaguer first started his detailed research in 1960 when only four of the eight Black Sox were still alive. Cicotte, Gandil and Risberg either refused or stonewalled Asinof's inquiries. Felsch became his primary source.

During his research, Asinof visited Milwaukee in an attempt to interview the ailing Felsch. Even after receiving repeated phone calls and a letter, the protective Marie continued to turn down the author. Asinof finally mustered enough courage to visit 2460 N. 49th Street only after a man he met in a bar, who had been acquainted with Felsch, described him as a "real good guy" that everybody liked.

Marie relented when the polite yet persistent Asinof appeared at her door with a bottle of Scotch to share with Happy, as Reutlinger did in 1920. She led him to the dark upstairs sitting room, asked for kindness in his questioning, and allowed the two men to spend the afternoon in conversation. Asinof detected hurt, guilt, and remorse in Felsch's voice as he said, "I shoulda knew better. I just didn't have the sense I was born with. It matters. It still matters."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^
    Felsch ...okay okay ... but who is that in your Avatar?

Worried I might give Jenn ideas? Or hopeful?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote:

Isn't that Groucho, Harpo, and Chico with the great No. 4?

Yes, it is. I love that picture.

But Dave was referring to an earlier avatar, which was...different.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Yes, it is. I love that picture.

But Dave was referring to an earlier avatar, which was...different.
    I have their autographs. Well... I'm still supposed to have their autographs ... ... among many others.

Wish I had Lou's.

Wish I had Lou's.
    You and me both...

I've got Ruth and Gehrig auto's...

the wives...

That photo is one my my favs and if you look closely at Groucho you'll notice he's actually looking at the baseball...Gehrig probably just signed it!!
    "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
    UACC: Universal Autograph Collectors Club

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig
    You and me both...

I've got Ruth and Gehrig auto's...

the wives...

That photo is one my my favs and if you look closely at Groucho you'll notice he's actually looking at the baseball...Gehrig probably just signed it!!
    If you look even more carefully at Groucho he appears to be flipping the bird with his left hand. You can see it below.

I'm proud to say that I have a baseball signed by the 1936 Yankees. Actually, I have two - my paternal grandfather got one, my mother's brother got the other. The first one wasn't preserved especially well over the years, and it's almost entirely illegible. But after my mother's brother was killed in WWII, my grandmother put most of his important stuff in a box - including the baseball, all wrapped up. It stayed there for 40 years or so, and it's in good shape.

It has signatures from both Gehrig and DiMaggio, among others.

- Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

If you look even more carefully at Groucho he appears to be flipping the bird with his left hand. You can see it below.

Oh course he is! Because ... Groucho was a New York Giants fan!
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 10-28-08 at 08:30 AM.

NYYF Legend

I'm proud to say that I have a baseball signed by the 1936 Yankees. Actually, I have two - my paternal grandfather got one, my mother's brother got the other. The first one wasn't preserved especially well over the years, and it's almost entirely illegible. But after my mother's brother was killed in WWII, my grandmother put most of his important stuff in a box - including the baseball, all wrapped up. It stayed there for 40 years or so, and it's in good shape.

You lucky son-of-a-gun! What a treasure!

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president" ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Any chance of you posting some pics ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig

Any chance of you posting some pics ?
    I never thought of that. It may take a little while, but I'll see what I can do.
    - Barry Manilow

Having just produced a story about Carl Mays on the Veterans' Committee Hall of Fame ballot, I am reminded of this beauty from the great Miller Huggins:

"Any ballplayers that played for me on either the Cardinals or the Yankees could come to me if he were in need and I would give him a helping hand. I made only two exceptions, Carl Mays and Joe Bush. If they were in a gutter, I'd kick them."

Heh, Huggy was anything but!

...Werber also was drawn to Ruth's love of practical jokes. With great detail, Werber recalled how Ruth suckered pitcher Ed Wells into going on a double date with him after a game in Detroit.

"When they knocked on the door of the lady's house, a big, ferocious guy opened the door with a gun and said, 'So you're the guy who's been chasing my wife," Werber continues. "So Babe said, 'Run, Ed. Run for your life!' So Ed Wells runs out the door and the gun went off, 'Bang, bang.' Babe fell down on the porch. Ed ran into a fence, then turned the other way and made it back to the hotel.

"The players were sitting around -- this was all staged, too -- and they said, 'Babe is upstairs. He's asking for you, but he's dying.' So he went up there and they had Babe with talcum powder all over his face and ketchup on his shirt. He thought Babe was dying.

"They pulled this stuff on a lot of ballplayers." said Werber.

NYYF Legend

As I've always said, the way New Yorkers back us we have to produce for them.
    George Steinbrenner

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyladder7
    Heh, Huggy was anything but!

...Werber also was drawn to Ruth's love of practical jokes. With great detail, Werber recalled how Ruth suckered pitcher Ed Wells into going on a double date with him after a game in Detroit.

"When they knocked on the door of the lady's house, a big, ferocious guy opened the door with a gun and said, 'So you're the guy who's been chasing my wife," Werber continues. "So Babe said, 'Run, Ed. Run for your life!' So Ed Wells runs out the door and the gun went off, 'Bang, bang.' Babe fell down on the porch. Ed ran into a fence, then turned the other way and made it back to the hotel.

"The players were sitting around -- this was all staged, too -- and they said, 'Babe is upstairs. He's asking for you, but he's dying.' So he went up there and they had Babe with talcum powder all over his face and ketchup on his shirt. He thought Babe was dying.

"They pulled this stuff on a lot of ballplayers." said Werber.
    Werber was sharp up until the very end of his 100 years. Lucky for us he was also an amazing storyteller.

Thread Information