+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Miller Huggins

"A good catcher is the quarterback, the carburetor, the lead dog, the pulse taker, the traffic cop and sometimes a lot of unprintable things, but no team gets very far without one."

"A manager has his cards dealt to him and he must play them."

"Any ballplayers that played for me on either the Cardinals or the Yankees could come to me if he were in need and I would give him a helping hand. I made only two exceptions, Carl Mays and Joe Bush. If they were in a gutter, I'd kick them."

NYYF Legend

Re: Baseball Quotations

Plenty of forum sigs in this thread. I can never find any quotes, do you guys just it and read what comes up? I had to physically read my SI back issues to get my Jeter quote.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.o
    I'm not crazy!
    Institutionalized!
    You're the one who's crazy!
    Institutionalized!
    You're driving me crazy!
    Institutionalized!
    They stuck me in an institution
    Said it was the only solution
    To give me the needed professional help
    To save me from my enemy, myself!
    nice. old school suicidal tendencies. mucho props!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2
    Plenty of forum sigs in this thread. I can never find any quotes, do you guys just it and read what comes up? I had to physically read my SI back issues to get my Jeter quote.
    http://baseball-almanac.com/quotes/d...r_quotes.shtml

NYYF Legend

Derek Jeter

"God, I hope I wear this jersey forever."

NYYF Legend

Herb Pennock

"Develop your faculty of observation. Conserve your energy. Make contact with players, especially catchers and infielders, and listen to what they have to say. Work everlastingly for control. Keep studying the hitters for their weak and strong points. Keep talking with your catchers. Always pitch to the catcher and not the hitter. Don't beef at the umpire. Keep pitching with confidence and control of yourself as well as of the ball. Don't get it into your head the umpire is your worst enemy. Fury is as hard on you physically as emotionally."

NYYF Legend

Don't park in the spaces marked, "Reserved for Umpires." ~John McSherry

NYYF Legend

Back then, my idol was Bugs Bunny, because I saw a cartoon of him playing ball - you know, the one where he plays every position himself with nobody else on the field but him? Now that I think of it, Bugs is still my idol. You have to love a ballplayer like that. ~Nomar Garciaparra

NYYF Legend

"A professional ball player has just so many years of productivity in his chosen career and should cash in as much as he can, while he can. That's the American way in all other businesses, and that's the way it should be in baseball too." Bob Feller

NYYF Legend

Don Larsen

"No, why should I?" - asked if he is tired of speaking about his perfect game
    "Sometimes a week might go by when I don't think about that game, but I don't remember when it happened last."
    "When it was over, I was so happy, I felt like crying. I wanted to win this one for Casey (Stengel). After what I did in Brooklyn, he could have forgotten about me and who would blame him? But he gave me another chance and I'm grateful." - locker room after perfect game

NYYF Legend

Ray Kroc former Padres owner

Shut up. I told you to shut up. If I want to spend $4 million on a ballplayer, I will. If I want to spend $12 million, I will. ... Itís my goddamn money and Iíll do what I want." - former Padres owner Ray Kroc

NYYF Legend

Joe Dimaggio

"I told you fellows last spring I thought this would be my last year. I only wish I could have had a better year , but even if I had hit .350, this would have been the last year for me.
    "You all know I have had more than my share of physical injuries and setbacks during my career. In recent years these have been too frequent to laugh off. When baseball is no longer fun, it's no longer a game.
    "And so, I've played my last game of ball. Since coming to New York I've made a lot of friends, and picked a lot of advisers, but I'd like to make one point clear-no one has influenced me in making this decision. It had been my problem and my decision to make. I feel that I have reached the stage where I can no longer produce for my ball club, my manager, my teammates, and my fans the sort of baseball their loyalty to me deserves.
    "I have been unusually privileged to play all my major league baseball for the New York Yankees. But it has been an even greater privilege to be able to play baseball at all. It has added much to my life. What I will remember most in days to come will be the great loyalty of the fans. They have been very good to me."

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Have you had this one already Mike?

"When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a baseball player and join the circus. With the Yankees, I've accomplished both."
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Hank Bauer..... Only time I
    ever hit to right field in my life was on that golf course.''

NYYF Legend

"Guys who can field you can shake out of any old tree. Find me guys who can hit."
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    "Guys who can field you can shake out of any old tree. Find me guys who can hit."
    Was said by Rogers Hornsby

NYYF Legend

Roger Clemens

"Well, they came and got me out of Texas and I can tell you it's a privilege to be back, I'll be talking to you all soon."

NYYF Legend

Clete Boyer

"As the ball left the bat (in the 1962 World Series) I said to myself two things. The first thing I said was, 'Hello double.' The second thing I said was, 'Oh ................, he's (Willie Mays) out there.'" - Clete Boyer

NYYF MVP

"If I managed the Cubs, I'd be an alcoholic".- Whitey Herzog

"When the bastard dies, they'll have to hire pallbearers."

-- ML umpire Bill Haller on Earl Weaver (7/27/07)
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

That space between the white lines - that's my office. That's where I conduct my business."

EARLY WYNN ... Hall of Fame pitcher (1939-63)

NYYF Legend

"I don't know if we are the oldest battery, but we're certainly the ugliest."

YOGI BERRA, commenting on being brought back by the Mets to catch for Warren Spahn.

Deposed Cruise Director, LOT Paiglee's Avatar

My personal favorite--

Pete Rose on Sparky Anderson

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit for Sparky."

Shortly thereafter Rose left Cinncy for the Phillies!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain
    Phil Rizzuto "I'll never forget September sixth nineteen-fifty. I got a letter threatening me, Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra and Johnny Mize. It said if I showed up in uniform against the Red Sox I'd be shot. I turned the letter over to the FBI and told my manager Casey Stengel about it. You know what Casey did? He gave me a different uniform and gave mine to Billy Martin. Can you imagine that! Guess Casey thought it'd be better if Billy got shot."

And ...

"And the ball is out here. No, it's not. Yes it is. No, it's not. What happened."

RIP

NYYF Legend

The Scooter

Holy cow"
    "I like radio better than television because if you make a mistake on radio, they don't know. You can make up anything on the radio."
    "I'll never forget September sixth nineteen-fifty. I got a letter threatening me, Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra and Johnny Mize. It said if I showed up in uniform against the Red Sox I'd be shot. I turned the letter over to the FBI and told my manager Casey Stengel about it. You know what Casey did? He gave me a different uniform and gave mine to Billy Martin. Can you imagine that! Guess Casey thought it'd be better if Billy got shot."
    "I'll take anyway to get into the Hall of Fame. If they want a batboy, I'll go in as a batboy."
    "There was an aura about him (Joe DiMaggio). He walked like no one else walked. He did things so easily. He was immaculate in everything he did. Kings of State wanted to meet him and be with him. He carried himself so well. He could fit in any place in the world."

Thread Information