+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Escobar out for season

Alex Escobar the Indians outfielder obtained from the Mets in
    the Robbie Alomar deal tore his ACL running into the outfield wall
    and is out for the year. Tough break.

NYYF MVP

Mt. Vernon, NY/ proudly born in the Bronx
    Ya know, last year when the Mets were playing lousey for the first half of the season, Met fans were suggesting that Bobby V just put Escobar into the outfield and let him play the rest of the season. The fact that the Mets brass did not do this told me that they were really not high on this kid, and that playing him regularly would expose him as a mediocre player, thereby reducing his trade value. Basically, the Mets hid him to perpetuate a ruse that he was their prize major league prospect. I hope he fully heals for next year, but I really don't think he will amount to much.......

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    Ya gotta think the Tribe is wondering if they can turn back the clock & rethink making that trade now.
    .........To the Way back Machine Sherman. Ok Mr. Peabody!!

NYYF MVP

Prediction he will come back next year, as a contender for Rookie of the Year.
    Attached Images

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi...371_52,00.html

Torn ACL sidelines Escobar for season
    March 5, 2002
    SportsLine.com wire reports

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- Cleveland Indians outfielder Alex Escobar is out for the season after injuring his left knee while making a catch in an exhibition game.

Escobar, the key player in the trade that sent All-Star Roberto Alomar to the New York Mets, will undergo reconstructive surgery after completely tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, the team said Tuesday.

"This is the worst-case scenario," general manager Mark Shapiro said. "We know injuries are part of the game. It is frustrating and disappointing, but we expect him back playing at 100 percent next year."

The 23-year-old got hurt Monday while running into the center-field wall at Bradenton. An MRI showed Escobar tore his ligament and sustained a second-degree sprain of his medial collateral ligament.

"I talked to Alex and he was proud of the catch," Shapiro said. "He said, 'It was a great catch.' He has been everything we expected -- a five-tool player with a quick bat, above average arm and speed."

Before getting injured, Escobar was 5-for-10 with two walks and two steals in five exhibition games.

Escobar's injury occurred just two days before Alomar is scheduled to play against the Indians for the first time since they traded him to the Mets on Dec. 11.

Alex Escobar's injury-plagued career is dealt another blow after an MRI reveals a torn ACL.(AP)

Escobar was one of five players the Indians got in the deal. He may not have made the club's roster this spring, but Cleveland is counting on big things from him in the future.

"Alex will rehabilitate in Cleveland because we want him to become an integral part of the organization," Shapiro said. "We won't let him get away from baseball. Hopefully, he will be ready to play some winter ball and come to camp next spring as he did this year, with a chance to win a starting job."

Shapiro said the surgery will take place in about two weeks, after swelling around the injury subsides.

Escobar's injury is the just the latest in a rash of setbacks for Cleveland this spring.

Last week, infielder John McDonald underwent an emergency appendectomy and bullpen coach Luis Isaac had 14 inches of his small intestine removed. Also, pitcher Jake Westbrook had elbow surgery and veterans Travis Fryman and Ellis Burks have been slowed by back spasms.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2002, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Yikes. That is really sad. I hope he heals up fast and makes a complete recovery for 2003.

Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    That hurts. Lawton and Riggan for Alomar.

OUCH.

I saw a clip of that somewhere (had to be ESPN or FOXSports/MSG since thats all I get) and it looked awful! You could tell he was in excruciating pain, lying on the ground hold his knee and writhing. What a shame for that to happen to anybody, especially a young guy in spring training...I hope he's able to bounce back next year. I've had knee surgery and personally I dont feel you're ever quite the same, but then I didnt have the Dr's or Therapists he will have either...
    I wish him a strong and complete recovery...

Thread Information