+ Reply to Thread

Draft and Follow report

I apologize in advance, as this will be long and convoluted. I had a lot of extra time, and decided to research last year's juco draftees who are eligible for draft and follow signing this year. Found a number of interesting things.

First, it is VERY easy to find information on juco players on the net. Merely type the school's name into a search engine (I used Yahoo), and go to the Athletic department. All the Yankees juco draftees from last year were easy to find that way.

Second, the Yanks are going to have to pony up some serious cah to get some of these guys. Many of them have committed to big time Division I schools for 2002- 2003. There may be some very tough signing there.

Third, a quick rundown of what I found:

Last year's 16th rounder, LHP Nic Touchstone has had a rough start to the year, but had a good performance in his last outing. He's a big tall guy, who the site says had an injured shoulder his senior year in HS (2 years ago)- apparently is better now. Still, check out the clunker he threw in his second outing.

The 17th rounder, Quinton Robertson is a 6'6" RHP who has signed a letter of intent to go to U Nebraska. He was the ace of the staff last year (and this year too).

The 18th rounder, Josh Smith, is a 6'4" 220 lb RHP at the same school (Navarro JC) as the 31st rounder, Rickey Stover, a 6'5" 195 LHP.

The 26th rounder, Andrew Marcus (6'3" 185) may be a very difficult sign. The note on the page states he signed a letter of intent with U Texas. The team coach noted he grew up near the U Texas campus and always wanted to play there.

The 27th rounder, Jeffery Tuttle is listed by the school signing him to a letter of intent (Arizona or Arizona State, I think) as a power hitting OF (righty). Another tough signing.

I also found the 32nd rounder, Aaron Edward, a 6'3" Catcher who has signed a letter of intent with U Kentucky. He seems to be a hitter type, but no mention of power numbers.

The 37th rounder, Josh Kerschen was the most promising in performance to date (granted it is very early in the year). He has won all 3 outings easily, but with low K numbers. Last year Baseball America had him as a 6'4" RHP with a 88- 92 fastball.

Finally, I found Greg Taylor, the 42nd rounder, who is a SS in juco. He has committed to the U of Lousiville. This is good and bad- good in that he soulnd't be a hard sign, bad in that no really good program was interested.

Just as an aside, for the HS players draftees, I was able to find that the 29th rounder, Phillip Humber, a RHP is attending Rice U, so he is ineligible for draft and follow. A note (Peter gammon, I think) on ESPn a few weeks ago said that 28th rounder Brandon Jones was playing football at one of the Texas schools (A&M, I think), so he's out. The 50th rounder, Brandon Boggs, was a highly rated playe rout of GA, but Baseball America said he was going to Georgia tech, so he's out. That leaves 16 HS draftees who I know nothing about their status. If anyone finds anything, post it here so we can get an idea of who we should watch for D&F in June!

NYYF Legend

Mr. Tarr great work ,thanks I love to check up on the D+F guys because its been such a great part of the Yankees draft unlike so many other teams .I was happy to see Touchstones numbers I was unable to get this years numbers but you came through thanks , the people I talked to at a Staten Is. game last year told me they like Touchstone's physical make up and think he could add some velocity to that fastball.Mabee he's just gettng his arm strength back after the injury?

Update!

In another search for the HS players, I was able to locate 2 more fairly quickly. Both are at juco and eligible for D&F.

The 19th rounder, Mike McGowan, who is a 6'5" 220 RHP, is at Navarro College (a juco), along with the Yanks 18th rounder Josh Smith and 31st rounder Ricky Stover. McGowan is a freshman there, so the Yanks will likely sign him if he's progressed, or draft him again like they did with Smith and Sean Henn to retain rights till he leave Juco.

The 38th rounder, Brent Jackson is a LHP/OF, who is 6'3", 190 at North Central Texas College (a juco). The writeup says the coach expects him to rack up some innings on the mound. Left unsaid is what kind of bat he has.

So in total, we have accounted for 8 of the 23 HS players the Yanks drafted. Of that group the Yanks signed 4, 2 went to 4 year schools, and 2 more are at juco. Drop a line if you find more of them!

Devoted Member

Richard,I found this very interesting,My hunt turned up Hans Gleason the no. 40 selection at riverside cc in cal.

NYYF Legend

brbyank, does Mr. Gleason look like a possible prospect?

Devoted Member

Originally posted by Yankyfan
    brbyank, does Mr. Gleason look like a possible prospect?
    I don't know,but the yankees drafted him as a possible draft and follow.I guess it depends on the progress he makes this season.

NYYF HOF

Thanks for doing some homework for us Richard!! Very interesting and much appreciated!!

Casey

Small Correction

The 27th rounder, LF Jeffery Tuttle actually signed a letter of intent at Oklahoma State. That actually makes it even tougher to ge thim as a D&F.

Further news

Did some more searching on line. Found 3 more draftees from last year.

Found 43rd rounder RHP Michael Bass. He apparently was drafted so late (like Brandon Boggs) because he had a strong college commitment. He's now playing for the U. of San Diego- four year college. So, he's no longer eligible for D&F.

46th rounder LHP Dominic Ficco also went to a four year college. He's pitching for Creighton University. SO, he's no longer eligible for D&F.

47th rounder RHP Chad Borek is at a juco. He's actually the teammate of 32nd rounder C Aaron Edwards at John A Logan JC. As of yet, he hasn't pitched there. He was listed as a 6'1" RHP. There is a degree of negativity among scouts toward "short" RHP's (basically anyone under 6'3" or 6'4"), so this may impact the Yanks view of Borek.

Just as an aside, Edwards numbers through the first 3 games- good hitting (though only three games), but baserunners were 4 for 4 in SB attempts against him. That was not encouraging.

In my searching, I am having trouble locating only a few of the high round picks. I can find nothing (to date) on 20th rounder LHP Jason McMillan, who was from Dundee-Crown HS in Ill, 25th round C Harold Edwards from Midland HS in Texas, and 30th rounder 1B Daniel Schwab from Arvada West HS in Colorado. If we could find the status of those 3, we'd have a complete look at the status of all of the top 30 picks! Thanks.

Devoted Member

Harold edwards was a highly rated football player,he could of gone that route.

NYYF Legend

Thanks Richard keep up the good work.

Found another!

I found 25th rounder C Harold Edwards. The thing that threw me is that his actual name appears to be Madison Edwards. He is playing at Texas Tech, so he's at a four year college and ineligible for D&F. Just to make sure, I checked his bio, which stated he was the Yankees 25th rounder, so its the same guy.

Got two more

From Baseball America's draft page. I found a quick note that 28th rounder Brandon Jones went to play football at Oklahoma this past year (thus ineligible for D&F).
    In the same article they said that 39th rounder Tate Wallis had gone to Southern Methodist U. to play football as well, but took a redshirt this year. Still, since he enrolled at a 4 year school, he's also ineligble for D&F.

Baseball America

reports that Adam Peterson (8) is "The One that Got Away." He went to Witchita State. He's a righty, otherwise I'd say he's a good bet for D+F.

Two that got away

8th rounder RHP Adam Peterson adn 14th rounder RHP Trenton Henderson ended up at Wichita State U. That means both are ineligible for D&F and both will in fact be eligible for the draft next year as draft eligible juniors.
    On Baseball America's draft site, both are listed in the top 100 college prospects. Oddly enough, both are probably in range for the Yanks to draft again, if they so wish.

NYYF Legend

Hey did you see Touchstones last start ?2/16 he struck out 9 in 5 innings ! not bad!

Thread Information