+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

What Year Did Stan Musial Win

A home run crown?

NYYF Legend

I'm not sure he ever did, even though he wound up with 475 HR's. Stan was more of a line drive hitter who deserved more credit than he got. A hellofa player was Stash.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Upon cheating, he never did. In 1949, he came in 2nd w/36 HR's.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Jersey Yankee

Excellent research. Stan the Man was never considered a home run hitter per se. He had a great day at the Polo Grounds one year vs the Giants hitting 5 home runs in a twin bill.

NYYF Legend

If Stan the Man had played his career in NY he probably would have been considered one of the greatest to ever play the game. I know he did get alot of recognition over the years but it would have been greater if it had been in NY!

Question about Stan:
    His stats show that he pitched in a game in '52, yet he didn't record an out and gave up no hits or walks. The only thing I can think of was that he faced a batter who reached on an error or a fielder's choice. I would think it had to be an inning ending (and game ending) fielder's choice, otherwise if it was an error why would they pull him out (he had to be replaced by someone, so if they had someone, why would he be in there in the first place?)
    Or maybe they brought him in on an off day as a decoy/time killer while the reliever finished getting ready? Not likely in that day of no specialized pitching roles, but you never know...
    Anyone know the details?
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Robert Nesta Marley

NYYF Legend

I don't know the details but Stan came up as a pitcher and almost made the Cardinals staff as one. Then they decided, as did the Yankees with Babe, that Stash could serve them better as an everyday player.
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Thread Information