+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: It's official: Mets get Vaughn

Originally posted by PinstripePride
    They are going to have a horrible pitching staff this year. They get an aging, out of shape first baseman on the backend of his career for their quality #3 if not #2 starter. :rolleyes:
    PP thats exactly what I thought! No pitching, all offense. It reminds me of last years Texas Rangers, with the newly bought Paywad, Caminiti, Galaragga,(sp) and Palmiero. They had a pretty good offensive team but had no pitching and we all know where they ended up in the standings. Looks like the Mets are headed in the same direction all offense, no pitching.

The Mets pitching staff is nowhere near as bad as the Rangers. Leiter is still a good pitcher and Estes and Traschel are not bad. Rusch and Chen are young and do have some potential. And Alomar, and Vaughn are much better than old washed up guys like Caminetti and Galaraga.

Ape was one of my favorite players, but its amazing that when he was a Met last yr nobody seemed to think he was all that good, but the moment he leaves it was if his presence was what was preventing the downfall of the entire staff.

The Texas Rangers last year scared the crap out of me before the season began - Arod, IRod, Galarraga, Caminiti, Palmeiro (not washed up at all), Cattalonato, Kapler, et al... that a scary m-fu$#@ lineup. The Red Sox worried me with Manny, Carlosaurus, Nomar batting in the middle of the lineup. The Indians... they all scared me. But only the Indians made it to the postseason.

But, I don't think Estes is much of a downgrade over Appier. I suspect he will win his fair share of games with the added run support. The Mets have helped themselves a ton this offseason, and they will probably add more pitching before the season starts.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

Re: Re: It's official: Mets get Vaughn

Originally posted by yankeeholic
    PP thats exactly what I thought! No pitching, all offense. It reminds me of last years Texas Rangers, with the newly bought Paywad, Caminiti, Galaragga,(sp) and Palmiero. They had a pretty good offensive team but had no pitching and we all know where they ended up in the standings. Looks like the Mets are headed in the same direction all offense, no pitching.
    Exactly. Here come the 2002 Rangers!

Re: Re: Re: It's official: Mets get Vaughn

Originally posted by PinstripePride

Exactly. Here come the 2002 Rangers!

I've got my money on that one

NYYF Triple Crown

If healthy Mo MIGHT turn out to be a good DH for the Mets. Too bad he will be crossdressing as a first baseman. Vaughn has all the range of a cement statue. "Cement" also comes to mind when I contemplate his glove. He could take throwing lessons from Chuck Knobaluch. The defensively brilliant Alomar will earn his pay on any 3-4 plays. Is there a worse defensive first baseman in baseball? Frank thomas was a MUCH better defensive first baseman than Vaughn and Thomas says he is better suited for DH because he feels that his defense is not that good. Next to Vaughn Thomas could win a Gold Glove.

The Mets now have the best DH in baseball (Piazza), and a potential very good DH (Vaughn). Now all they need to do is move to the AL to maximize their opportunities.

I give the Mets credit for picking up Alomar. That was a very good move. Signing Cedeno was a very good move for the Mets. Vaughn will not have much impact overall. If he hits well having him on the field will still contribute to a higher team ERA. If he does not hit well then they are spending big bucks on a very large paper weight.

LOL Blue...The range of a cement statue

Thread Information