+ Reply to Thread
    Addicted Member

Higginson close to being Met!

I have heard from a reliable source that Mets will get Bobby Higginson in next 2 days or so and just a matter of finalizing player or players involvede? If this is true where again are the yankees? I like this kid better then Rondell White!

Hmm...interesting. It seems like the Mets want to go further in the outfield: Bobby Higginson, Jay Payton, and David Justice. What happened to Tsyoushi Shinjo? I thought he was a pretty good defensive player and when I went to a Phillies vs. Mets game in the Vet, he really impressed me. After this trade, if the Mets indeed does get it done, the Mets will definitely be a playoff-caliber team.
    Harry the K's Legends: 2009 Champs, 2010 Ruth Division Champions

R.I.P Harry Kalas...Say hi to whitey for me

Higginson would have to come via a trade since he is not a FA. Therefore, lets wait and see what the mets have to give up to get him.

Rondell White at $5mm per is a great move. We filled a hole adequately, cost-effectively and kept all of our minor leaguers.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar
    This may be a good chance for the Mets to dump DJ.

From what I've heard, they don't really want him. They only took him to get rid of Ventura because they could only go after Alomar if they got rid of Ventura. I also heard that they want someone from Oakland and they're trying to ship DJ to the Bay. But if Detroit is willing to take him as a power bat in return for Higginson, I'm sure the Mets would love that.

I've also heard that Alomar has made some recruiting calls to Juan Gone, because they played in Cleveland together. If the Mets want to sign Gonzo, Justice will definitely have to go.

With an outfield of Higginson and Juan Gone, the Mets would probably include Payton or Shinjo in the deal for Higginson, and then whoever is not traded will play the other OF spot full-time.

Damn, the Mets are going full-blast for this contender thing, aren't they?

1. Alomar, 2B
    2. Alfonzo, 3B
    3. Piazza, C
    4. Higginson, LF
    5. Zeile, 1B
    6. Justice, RF
    7. Payton, CF
    8. Ordonez, SS
    9. Pitcher spot, P

Not a bad lineup. I included Higginson only because my info is just speculation, yours sounds like concrete info.

With the Braves aging, I'd say the Mets might be considered the favorites to win the division. Hell, if they add one more pitcher or one more big bat somewhere along the line (which they might do by adding Juan Gone), I'd have to pick them as odds on favorite to win the NL Pennant.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we might be witnessing the setup of New Millennium Subway Series Part II.
    27-Time World Champions

NYYF Legend

Still, Higginson is a player that would be perfect for the Yankees. He is a good lefty hitter and is an excellent defensive outfielder. The Yankees could have had this guy for a song before the 2000 season.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Originally posted by jpao89
    Still, Higginson is a player that would be perfect for the Yankees. He is a good lefty hitter and is an excellent defensive outfielder. The Yankees could have had this guy for a song before the 2000 season.
    I agree with you. It's too bad we didn't get him when we could have.

First, how do we know that the Yankees could've gotten him? And at what price? The Yankees don't need to have EVERYBODY that's good.
    "He knew, as he went after that ball, that he had a decision to make," said Tony Clark, who watched the play unfold from first base. "Either you let the ball drop and try to minimize the damage, or you make the catch and pay the consequences. He knew that, no doubt about it, and he chose B."

NYYF Legend

Alex,

In 1999, Higginson had a crappy year. As a matter of fact, he looked so bad that it was largely felt he was done. Prior to the 2000 season, the Tigers were desperately trying to trade hime. They offered him to the Yankees for Ed Yarnall, who at the time was supposed to be the Yankees fifth starter. I was shouting for Cashman NOT to do the deal being of the mind that Higginson was done so I can't fault Cashman. In hinsdight, it would have geen a goddamned steal.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

I haven't heard anything major about a Higginson deal. The Mets almost had him at the beginning of 2000 for Henderson and Cook, which would have been a steal. I think the Mets will end up going after Juan Gone, but not Higginson. They will probably make a play for Cedeno instead as a leadoff hitter.

Cedeno RF
    Alfonzo 3B
    Alomar 2B
    Piazza C
    Juan Gone LF
    Zeile 1B
    Payton/Shinjo CF
    Ordonez SS
    Pitcher

That's still a good lineup.

Originally posted by SI Baseballman
    I haven't heard anything major about a Higginson deal. The Mets almost had him at the beginning of 2000 for Henderson and Cook, which would have been a steal. I think the Mets will end up going after Juan Gone, but not Higginson. They will probably make a play for Cedeno instead as a leadoff hitter.

Cedeno RF
    Alfonzo 3B
    Alomar 2B
    Piazza C
    Juan Gone LF
    Zeile 1B
    Payton/Shinjo CF
    Ordonez SS
    Pitcher

That's still a good lineup.
    That's an excellent lineup SI, but I can't see Freddy ponying up for Juan and Cedeno.

once we dump Justice we can afford one of them. The net gain in salary between Justice(7 million), Cedeno(4-6 million) and Juan Gone(10-12 million) will probably be around 8-10 million. If it means fans will come, I'm sure Wilpon will be willing to spend that much.

I could see the Mets making a run at Juan. Roberto and Juan are great friends which could help the Mets as he may be willing to backload his contract a bit. They sign Juan and they will be in great shape for 2002.

Honestly, I'd be a bit worried about the pitching now.

Traschel, Rusch, and Chen as the 3, 4, and 5 kinda scares me.

SI, what's the pen situation? I know Grant Roberts did quite well when he came up, but Riggan is gone and Franco had the surgery. Think Steve will satisfy his middle-reliever fetish again?

If anything, I think we need a lefty in the pen to add balance. I'd like to see them bring back Nitkowski. We still have the Japanese guy, plus Bobby M Jones and Eric Cammack, both who are coming back from injury. Dickey Gonzalez could also be a factor out of the pen. I could still see Phillips looking at free agents like Mills, Reed, Embree, and maybe even Dennis Cook at a lower salary.

The definate pen as of now is Benitez, Franco, White, and Roberts.

Fonzie recovers from the his back problems and Rusch and Chen turn out OK, Mets will have a very good team next year.

Though if the reports I read about Loria taking the V boys (Vasquez, Vidro, and Vladdy) to FLA are true, watch out! That would be a damn good team.

holy crap...

I hope the Mets don't get Higginason, he's a Yankee killer. He slaughters our pitching. every game I watch. He always goes 2 for 4, 3 for 4 against our best pitchers. I hope they don't get him.

Originally posted by clacson

Though if the reports I read about Loria taking the V boys (Vasquez, Vidro, and Vladdy) to FLA are true, watch out! That would be a damn good team.
    That'll never happen. These kinds of thing are voted on by the owners. Not one owner would vote yes besides Loria himself.

Originally posted by clacson
    Fonzie
    Fonzie?

Re: holy crap...

Originally posted by Joesulli79
    I hope the Mets don't get Higginason, he's a Yankee killer. He slaughters our pitching. every game I watch. He always goes 2 for 4, 3 for 4 against our best pitchers. I hope they don't get him.
    He would be in the NL, which means we would face him only a maximum of six times a year, unless we're assuming here that there will be another subway series...now, if he goes to an AL East team, there might be a problem...
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

Thread Information