+ Reply to Thread
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Anyone have a list of all the great homegrown Yankees?

I'm curious who all the greats were. I've heard of Gehrig, Berra, Mantle, Mattingly and many others. Who are some of the greatest who've come up through the farm and hopefully, played their entire careers proudly wearing the Yankee uniform?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Jeter, Bernie, Soriano is all i know

Originally posted by deranged2005
    Jeter, Bernie, Soriano is all i know
    If we're talking current times, why not Jorge, Andy, Mo...

-#1YankeeLover

Originally posted by #1YankeeLover

-#1YankeeLover
    cuz I forgot about them?

cuz I forgot about them?
    Oh...As good a reason as any!!

(Although I don't know how I'm going to let you get away with forgetting about Andy...I mean, Jorge is one thing, and Mo is less forgiveable than that, but Andy?! &po'd& &po'd& )

-#1YankeeLover

NYYF Legend

DiMag,
    Ford,
    Collins,
    Pepitone,
    Ellie Howard,
    Joe Page
    Guidry,
    Mel Stor,
    Skowron,
    Bauer
    Woodling
    Martin (Billy)
    Coleman
    Rizzutto
    Crosetti
    Lazzari
    Dickey
    Houk
    Silvera
    Mercer

Mattingly
    Munson
    Enough for now, the turkey is making me tired.
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Originally posted by Nome
    DiMag,
    Ford,
    Collins,
    Pepitone,
    Ellie Howard,
    Joe Page
    Guidry,
    Mel Stor,
    Skowron,
    Bauer
    Woodling
    Martin (Billy)
    Coleman
    Rizzutto
    Crosetti
    Lazzari
    Dickey
    Houk
    Silvera
    Mercer

Mattingly
    Munson
    he's good

DiMag
    Didn't Joe D used to play for the San Francisco Seals? The Seals' owner, Charlie Graham, sold him to New York for $25,000 and five players when DiMag was 19. He first played for the Seals in '32 (SS, on the suggestion of his brother Vince), and that transaction was in November of 1934...So he played three seasons for the Seals before playing as a ML Yankee in May of '36.

Again, my reasoning might be faulty...

-#1YankeeLover

Unless, of course, the question is which Yankees came up to the majors as Yankees and stayed that way throughout their major league careers.

-#1YankeeLover

he's good
    Very good. Great stuff, Nome!!!
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Unless, of course, the question is which Yankees came up to the majors as Yankees and stayed that way throughout their major league careers.

-#1YankeeLover
    That would be the ideal question. Al Leiter isn't great but he came up from the farm, I think. I figure the list would be reduced if they'd played elsewhere after their great Yankee years.

-#1YankeeLover
    Has someone forgotten about Doza and Spencer from the current farm crop? It's harvest time and the crops are blooming nicely!!!

No, I meant, is the question if they came up from the Yankees' minor league teams and stayed Yankees their major league entire careers; or is it asking if they were Yankees throughout their minor league careers in addition to their major league careers?

-#1YankeeLover

NYYF MVP

If this is supposed to be about players who stayed with the Yankees their entires careers, then not all on Nome's list is accurate. Can we get a clarification as to what we are looking for?
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

NYYF Legend

Nome's list is great!.....How about adding Red Rolfe, Roy White, Gil McDougald, and Bobby Richardson. Don't forget the honorary Yankee of all time, Bob Shepard!

NYYF Cy Young

Didn't Joe D used to play for the San Francisco Seals? The Seals' owner, Charlie Graham, sold him to New York for $25,000 and five players when DiMag was 19. He first played for the Seals in '32 (SS, on the suggestion of his brother Vince), and that transaction was in November of 1934...So he played three seasons for the Seals before playing as a ML Yankee in May of '36.

Again, my reasoning might be faulty...

-#1YankeeLover
    You are right #1 Yankeelover !!!!
    You have a begining and end, but how you live the middle is important.

My Nana 1919-2003

NYYF Legend

If I am not mistaken the SF Seals were unaffiliated with a ML team so when the Yankees bought him , the Yankees were his first ML affiliation. Nit picking point.
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

While we are trying to define the rules, off the top of my head add;
    Johnnie Murphy,
    Lefty Gomez
    Tony Kubek and
    Tommy Henrich (Tommy was signed by the Indians but the contract was ruled invalid by Commish Landis and he was declared a free agent and signed by the Yanks and played his entire career here)

Andy

A lot of these players were traded to the Yankees when they were in the farm system. Like how we got Soriano. But which ones were DRAFTED by the Yankees? Jeter was and I think Andy Pettitte was too.

NYYF Legend

Scooter, are you talking about the current Yankee team or are you also including all past teams/players. If so you are limiting the results by using the term "drafted". There was not a draft until relatively recently. I think it came into being sometime in the 60's. Before the teams could sign whoever they wanted and who agreed with the terms.

Andy

Nome, I get the feeling that Skoot's talking about trades, whereby an MLB player is traded for another and 2 minor league prospects. If these minor league players are then brought up by the MLB Yankees, that seems what he was referring to.

I personally don't hold standards so strict that a player must have their entire minor league and/or MLB career with the Yankees. If so, there'd be lots of names removed from anyone's list, including Ruth's.

While we are trying to define the rules, off the top of my head add;
    Johnnie Murphy,
    Lefty Gomez
    Tony Kubek and
    Tommy Henrich (Tommy was signed by the Indians but the contract was ruled invalid by Commish Landis and he was declared a free agent and signed by the Yanks and played his entire career here)

Andy
    I KNEW you'd remember these guys !! When I started to go through this post and didn't see them I said to myself "self"...HOW, can they forget Old Reliable AND Goofy ?!?
    "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
    UACC: Universal Autograph Collectors Club

Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
    Nome, I get the feeling that Skoot's talking about trades, whereby an MLB player is traded for another and 2 minor league prospects. If these minor league players are then brought up by the MLB Yankees, that seems what he was referring to.
    That is exactly what I was referring to.

Skoot, sorry for the late reply, but at least I got you pegged correctly.

Thread Information