+ Reply to Thread
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

All MLB retired numbers

http://www.baseball1.com/bb-data/bbd-run.html

Great stuff if you need to check up on all the retired numbers, including those not fortunate enough to have played for the greatest sports team ever!!!
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Is the Marlin's retired number the manager when they won in 97?

NYYF Legend

The Yankees started it all.

When it 1939, they retired # 4 the Iron Horse Lou Gehrig the greatest of All Yankee First Basemen.

Originally posted by deranged2005
    Is the Marlin's retired number the manager when they won in 97?
    I wouldn't really know. I just saw this page and figured it was history, so I plunked it in here. The link reads:

Team:
    Florida Marlins

Player:
    Carl Barger (Executive)

Number:

With Team:
    [Blank]

Retired:
    ==========

There's no "Carl Barger" in MLB history as a player (per www.baseball-reference.com), so it was his number as an exec which was retired. I've never heard of a non-player having a number, much less retiring such number, but stranger things have happened, I suppose.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Re: The Yankees started it all.

Originally posted by Michaels07
    When it 1939, they retired # 4 the Iron Horse Lou Gehrig the greatest of All Yankee First Basemen.
    He's probably my favorite player of all time. Can you imagine him being #2 anywhere else but the Yankees? Someone of his greatness had to have his #4 retired.

NYYF Legend

If Jackie Robinson's number #42 can be retired by all major league teams than why can't Babe Ruth's number #3 be also retired by all major league teams? All Ruth did was save major league baseball after the Black Sox scandal and be considered the greatest ball player of all time by most baseball historians.

NYYF Triple Crown

Nice to see my buddy Warren Spahn up there.
    "I told them, 'You guys [Prior and Wood] are good,'" Dunston said. "'But this guy [Maddux] is the best.'"

Originally posted by Sixty one
    If Jackie Robinson's number #42 can be retired by all major league teams than why can't Babe Ruth's number #3 be also retired by all major league teams? All Ruth did was save major league baseball after the Black Sox scandal and be considered the greatest ball player of all time by most baseball historians.
    I guess no one ever thought of this. Probably a stupid oversight by businessmen trying to run baseball but forgetting the "game" aspects of things.

I think you should visit www.netshrine.com, which has lots of old time baseball fans there and you'd feel quite at home.

All my favorite numbers for the Yankees are taken!
    Harry the K's Legends: 2009 Champs, 2010 Ruth Division Champions

R.I.P Harry Kalas...Say hi to whitey for me

NYYF MVP

Does anyone know why the Reds haven't retired Pete Rose's number? Did the commish tell the Reds they weren't allowed? He should atleast have his number retired.

Thread Information