+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Johnny Oates has Brain Tumor

According to ESPN, former Yankee player and Texas Ranger Johnny Oates has a brain tumor and will have surgery. Lot of managers with Brain tumors-Dick Howser died of a brain tumor and Larry Dirker had a brain growth of some kind removed.

I wish him a speedy recovery!
    "...man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now, if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise." Tommy Douglas- The "Greatest" Canadian.

NYYF Legend

Absolutely.

Johnnie, here's hoping all goes well and you are at some Spring Camp.
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Johnny, I hope you have a successful recovery!
    Harry the K's Legends: 2009 Champs, 2010 Ruth Division Champions

R.I.P Harry Kalas...Say hi to whitey for me

That sucks. Hope he's back soon

NYYF Legend

This is awful news...I always liked Johnny and thought he was a very classy guy (and an ex-Yankee) ...

unfortunately it doesn't look good for Johnny:

The 55-year-old Oates, who lives in Matoaca, Va., was diagnosed with a Glioblastoma Multiforme, the most aggressive form of primary brain tumors. The average survival rate is about a year.

I will be praying for him to beat the odds...god bless you Johnny!

NYYF Legend

Here's the complete article for anyone who wants to read it...so, so sad...

Thursday, November 8
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/1108/1275474.html

Survival rate for Oates' cancer about a year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Former Texas manager Johnny Oates has been diagnosed with a brain tumor and will undergo surgery later this month.

Oates began to experience some weakness in his left side in late October and was forced to cut short a telephone interview because of weakness and slurred speech. He underwent tests and was told of the diagnosis Monday.

"My family and I have great strength at this time, and I have put myself in the hands of the Lord," Oates said in a statement released Thursday by the Rangers. "I am optimistic about the future. I appreciate all of the kind words and prayers that I have received."

The 55-year-old Oates, who lives in Matoaca, Va., was diagnosed with a Glioblastoma Multiforme, the most aggressive form of primary brain tumors. The average survival rate is about a year. The surgery will be in Richmond, Va.

"The entire Texas Rangers family is deeply saddened to hear this news regarding Johnny Oates," Rangers owner Tom Hicks said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Johnny, Gloria, and their family."

Oates, who managed the Rangers to their only three AL West titles (1996, '98 and '99), resigned under pressure May 4 after an 11-17 start. He was the AL Manager of the Year in 1996.

In six-plus seasons with the Rangers, he had a 506-476 record, a .521 winning percentage. He ranks second in team history in wins, winning percentage and games managed.

Oates spent 34 years as a player, coach, and manager in professional baseball.

The Glioblastoma Multiforme, which contains a mixture of cell types, is one of the most difficult brain tumors to treat, according to the American Brain Tumor Association. While one cell type is responsive to treatment, other types wait their chance to take over.

Headaches, seizures, memory loss and changes in behavior are the most common symptoms. Surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy are among the treatments.

Dick Howser and Dan Quisenberry, the manager and relief pitcher for Kansas City's only World Series championship team in 1985, both died as a result of brain tumors.

Howser died June 17, 1987, about a year after his tumor was diagnosed. He had undergone three operations and experimental treatment. Quisenberry, known for his submarine delivery and witty personality, died Sept. 30, 1998, about nine months and two surgeries after his tumor was discovered.

Josh Gibson, one of the best hitters in the Negro Leagues before the major leagues integrated, died Jan. 20, 1947, more than three years after being diagnosed with a brain tumor he refused to have treated with surgery.

Before joining the Rangers in 1995, Oates managed the Baltimore Orioles from 1991-94 and had a record of 291-270.

As a player, Oates played 593 games with the Orioles (1970, '72), Atlanta (1973-75), Philadelphia (1975-76), Los Angeles (1977-79) and New York Yankees (1980-81). Primarily a backup catcher, Oates had a career average of .250 with 14 homers and 126 RBI.

After managing three minor league teams, Oates became the first base coach for the Orioles in 1989. He served in that position until he replaced Robinson as manager on May 23, 1991.

Oates and his wife of 34 years, Gloria, have three children and five grandchildren.

NYYF HOF

That is so sad, and so scary.

I pray he will make it.

NYYF Legend

And to really brighten everyone's day George Harrison has reportedly cheked into Staten Island University Hospital for experimental treatment of his brain tumor!

I think that Kathy( 21 forevers)'s brother has Glioblastoma.

This is all very sad-my prayers are with everyone!
    "...man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now, if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise." Tommy Douglas- The "Greatest" Canadian.

NYYF Legend

That sucks.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

I am so sad to read this news. He seems like such a classy man not to mention a very nice one.

I will keep them all in my thoughts and prayers. I will be hoping for a miracle. How terrible.

NYYF Legend

My prayers go out to Johnny and all of his family. Get well soon.
    If you understand,
    things are just as they are;
    If you do not understand,
    things are just as they are.
    Zen proverb

Calendar of Updates
    www.calendarofupdates.com

Giambi-bashing bewilders me pacewon's Avatar
    This is horrible news and I wish Johnny all the best en route to a healthy and speedy recovery.

Oh my, that's just awful . . .

I hope he recovers fully . . .

-#1YankeeLover

Johnny Oates is a class act. One of the nicest human beings on earth who is filled with integrity and faith.

Let us all pray for him during this most difficult time in his life.

NYYF Triple Crown

What a shame, he's only 55. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Now THERE is a Captain !! SanFrANSKY's Avatar
    Hoping for a miracle ...
    SanFrANSKY
    [img]http://nyyfanscom.baseball.sportsline.com/images/team-logo/sanfransky-9angryblue-36x36.jpg[/img] [b]We're Playaz. We're 9. We're Angry.[/b]
    [color=purple]Base: a certain kind of ball.[/color]
    [i]Repair these losses...and be a blessing to us.[/i]

NYYF Legend

How sad. I'm praying very hard for him, and for George Harrison.
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

God bless Johnny Oates.

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Sounds like they're writing his obituary already...

Well, miracles DO happen...
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Thread Information