+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Gehrig! I have a question.

Can you check for me and see if my memory is correct. Fifty years ago, in the 1951 World Series, did Bauer make the final out that ended the Series? Did he make it in right field and was it similar to the way that Spencer ended the game last night? I think I'm right but not sure.

Re: Gehrig! I have a question.

Originally posted by Sixty one
    Can you check for me and see if my memory is correct. Fifty years ago, in the 1951 World Series, did Bauer make the final out that ended the Series? Did he make it in right field and was it similar to the way that Spencer ended the game last night? I think I'm right but not sure.
    Your memory serves you well young Padawan

The score was 4-3 and the Giants had the potential tying run in scoring position. Hank Bauer made a sensational game-ending catch on a low liner hit by pinch-hitter Sal Yvars.

NYYF Legend

You know that Curt Schilling named his son "Gehrig" in honor of Lou?

I'll stick a post about that in the other forum.

NYYF Legend

Gehrig!

Recently, I think I saw an interview with Sal Yvars who claimed that the Giants were stealing the signals from the Dodgers in that 1951 series. Do you think it was true?

Originally posted by Sixty one
    Gehrig!

Recently, I think I saw an interview with Sal Yvars who claimed that the Giants were stealing the signals from the Dodgers in that 1951 series. Do you think it was true?
    You know, with all of the 51 series anniversary stuff and all, too bad the SF Giants didn't get into post season...anyhow. I read a very interesting article from Bobby Thompson and have on several occasions spoke to him AND Branca.

Bobby wrote in an article that it was very loud during his walk to the plate and lots of things were going though his head and he couldn't even think. He gets to the plate and looks up to see Branca on the mound ?!? He wasn't even aware that they had made a pitching change. First pitch comes wizzing in and he lets it go by cursing himself about that was his pitch and he won't see another that good. I don't think he knew what was coming. Even if he did, you still gotta hit it.

Everybody steals signs. Whether or not they had as an elaborate scheme as has been written, who knows. I wouldn't put anything past Leo (Mr. win at any cost)

Also, alot of people don't realize it was a 3 game playoff between the dodgers and Giants and that Thompson hit a home run in game 2 off of Branca... I just think he settled in after the first pitch and was familiar enough with Branca.

NYYF Legend

Thanks for the information Gehrig. I also believe that whether he knew what was coming or not the fact remains that he still had to hit it. I live near Thompson and even though I never met him all that I ever hear about him is that he is a class act! He should have been a Yankee!

By the way, how much do you know about Leo the Lip? He was a real character and I often wonder how he would have handled a Barry Bonds, or a Sammy Sosa if he were managing today.

Thread Information