+ Reply to Thread
    The Source

Seattle vs. Oakland 9/22

Last I checked, Seattle was losing 9-2 in the top of the 7th inning. If they don't come back and win, it will be the first time they lose a road series and 3 games in a row.

Game's over. Final Score Oakland 11, Seattle 2. There's that whole 11 and 2 thing again.
    Last edited by Carissa; 09-22-01 at 07:27 PM.

NYYF Legend

WTG Oakland

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=210922111

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- For the first time in a year, the Seattle Mariners are on a three-game losing streak.

Terrence Long, Ramon Hernandez, Eric Chavez and Miguel Tejada homered as the Oakland Athletics, baseball's hottest team, beat the AL West champions 11-2 Saturday.

Seattle, which lost to Anaheim 6-3 on Thursday and to Oakland 5-1 on Friday, lost three straight for the first time since Sept. 21-23 last year against the A's at Safeco Field. Before this weekend, the Mariners had 11 two-game losing streaks.

The Mariners also failed in their bid to become first major league team to go an entire season without losing a series on the road. Seattle, which finishes the weekend series on Sunday, had gone a major league record 29 consecutive road series without a loss since dropping two of three at Detroit from Aug. 22-24 last season.

Seattle (106-43) needs eight wins in its final 13 games to tie the AL record set by the 1998 New York Yankees (114-48) and 10 wins to match the major league record established by the 1906 Chicago Cubs (116-36).

Oakland (91-58), which has the second-best record in the major leagues, won its 11th straight home game -- the most for the team since it moved to Oakland in 1968 -- and cut its magic number for clinching the AL wild card to two. The A's are 64-30 since June 5.

Erik Hiljus (5-0) allowed two runs and seven hits over 5 2-3 innings, struck out eight and walked two.

Oakland took a quick 5-0 lead against Joel Pineiro (5-2), who gave up six runs -- two earned -- and seven hits in two innings.

Pineiro loaded the bases in the first inning with one out. Second baseman Mark McLemore bobbled Chavez's grounder for an error, allowing leadoff hitter Johnny Damon to score.

Long followed with a sacrifice fly, Tejada and Hernandez each had RBI singles and Tejada scored on Tom Lampkin's passed ball.

The A's added a run in the second on Jason Giambi's RBI double-play grounder.

John Olerud homered in the fourth off Hiljus, and Mike Cameron's sacrifice fly in the fifth scored Ichiro Suzuki, who singled.

With one out in the fifth, Long hit a solo home run, Tejada singled and Hernandez homered for a 7-2 lead.

Chavez added his 28th homer in the seventh and Tejada hit his 28th one out later. The A's have homered in a season-high 12 straight games.

Game notes
    The Mariners have 54 road wins this season; one more would match the AL record of 55, set by the 1971 A's. ... With his RBI in the first inning, Chavez has 100 on the season, joining Sal Bando as the only Oakland 3B to achieve the feat. Bando had 113 in 1969 and 103 in 1974. ... Tejada's homer also gave him 100 RBIs. With Giambi and Chavez, it was just the sixth time in franchise history that three A's have had 100 or more.

Pettitte Lover
    Right...and while I'm extremely happy that this has taken Seattle off their high horse and made their run for 114 wins a little more difficult... BUT I don't think this looks good for the Yankees. Personally, I'm extremely frightened of the A's. They're better than last year. Their pitchers are stronger, more mature, and probably better equipped mentally to deal with the postseason, as are most of their players. I'm WORRIED now....let's hope that the Yankee pitchers and the bullpen rise up from the mediocre display they've put on these past few games (with the exception of Duque and Roger).

Oakland is really scary. Terrence Long doesn't misjudge that fly ball in Game 5 of the ALDS last year, and they might've made it to the World Series.

And they're even better this year - though the Yankees are improved too.

At this point I don't think Seattle is going to beat our record. That makes me incredibly happy.

Only 7 of Oakland's runs were earned tonight. An error very early in the game put Seattle in a deep hole by the end of the 2nd inning. Thank God.

Oakland's very good, but so are the Yankees. It should be a great series. It will come down to who does best when the pressure is on and who gets hot at the right time. I am hoping it's us.

Am I totally insane for deriving personal pleasure out of a Seattle loss?? (Hey, I can't get it from a Yankee win, it's got to come from somewhere ...)

-#1YankeeLover

Addicted Member

Originally posted by #1YankeeLover
    Am I totally insane for deriving personal pleasure out of a Seattle loss?? (Hey, I can't get it from a Yankee win, it's got to come from somewhere ...)

-#1YankeeLover
    I've been doing that since 1995. And, of course, I've been called insane many times. Coincidence? Maybe.

Uh oh, another loss for the big bad m's today, swept!! lol 44 losses i think it is. And they play the a's 3 more times, id love for the a's to sweep them. That would be 47 losses right there, and hopefully they won't break the 98 mark.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    DJ, Yanks were 114-48, so if M's had 47 L's, they would be 115-47. What they fail to remember is that NL record is still 116 ('06 Cubbies) and MLB record is 125 for Yanks: 114 + 11 in October f/WS rings. I hope the A's take them out bad in those games.

If we can squeak past A's in ALDS (there's no stopping them if they spank M's around real bad), Tribe can take out M's in same, we'll have to do some battle against the Tribe once again.

JY
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Triple Crown

Oakland SWEPT Seattle! God I love them.

BTW, it doesn't matter if we face the Tribe or the Mariners. Clevelend has a lot of postseason experience, more than the Mariners but the Mariners are having a phenomonal season. They're both tough opponents but to tell you the truth, I'm more worried about Clevelend since they can be real tough come post season time.
    "I told them, 'You guys [Prior and Wood] are good,'" Dunston said. "'But this guy [Maddux] is the best.'"

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Originally posted by Bernie51
    BTW, it doesn't matter if we face the Tribe or the Mariners. Clevelend has a lot of postseason experience, more than the Mariners but the Mariners are having a phenomonal season. They're both tough opponents but to tell you the truth, I'm more worried about Clevelend since they can be real tough come post season time.
    I remember the last time we faced them in '98 (the revenge), they bombed Andy big time. After one guy clearned the bases, someone named "Hard Hitten Whitten" (spl?) knocked another one over the fence. I thought it would never end.

Hopefully, our scouts have done their job and our guys are fully prepared to do battle, since the 1st two rounds would seem like the WS played twice. Both teams we face would definitely not want to lose and will pull out all stops. I'll cross my fingers, but I hate thinking we won't get to WS this year.

JY
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Thread Information