+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

I'm sure I am not the only one following this story. Very sad, but also just fascinating. Its amazing to me that its 3 days later, and we still have no clue what has happened to this jet. 2014 with all the technology we have and use with flying airline jets, tracking them, GPS/satellites, radar etc.

Anyone else following this? If so, what do you think happened? For it to be on radar one second and then gone the next....makes me think whatever happened was something quick i.e explosion. Who knows though. Then you have the passengers with the stolen passports. The wreckage needs to be found first and its amazing to me we still havent found ANYTHING.

Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

I just can't fathom how an entire plane and all those people disappear. I mean did it get zapped by lightening? I just don't get it. But my prayers to everyone involved.
    Lets Go Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I'm sure I am not the only one following this story. Very sad, but also just fascinating. Its amazing to me that its 3 days later, and we still have no clue what has happened to this jet. 2014 with all the technology we have and use with flying airline jets, tracking them, GPS/satellites, radar etc.

Anyone else following this? If so, what do you think happened? For it to be on radar one second and then gone the next....makes me think whatever happened was something quick i.e explosion. Who knows though. Then you have the passengers with the stolen passports. The wreckage needs to be found first and its amazing to me we still havent found ANYTHING.
    I've been following it, but not extensively at all. With the stolen passport info, I think the simplest conclusion is probably terrorism of some sort. I think an explosion triggered by the two people with stolen passports is probably a good bet, at least with the limited information.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

They fell victim to the lesser known Malaysian Triangle.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    They fell victim to the lesser known Malaysian Triangle.
    There are other "triangles". There's one in Lake Erie and another off the coast of Japan called the "Dragon Triangle". I think there's like 10 of them.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Frankly, a catastrophic explosion or an alien abduction seem to be the only explanations thus far that make any sense but considering that they've not found even one piece of debris, even the explosion doesn't sound all that likely.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

I know it took 2 years to find the black boxes for that Air France flight that crashed off the coast of Brazil in 2009 (very similar case; the plane just dissapeared off radar out of nowhere). I believe the main wreckage for that flight was found 5 days after the crash...although the first signs of wreckage (seats, other small pieces of the plane) started to be found the next day. We're going on 4 days without ANYTHING from this jet. Very strange for sure.

That jet crashed due to major mechanical failure and pilot error. I think this jet either crashed for those reasons or a terrorist bomb. Nothing else makes sense. Of course, not finding anything makes even less sense.

Hey, isnt this how "Lost" started? I also recall a Twilight Zone episode about an airliner that broke a time barrier and went back to the 1930s, and then the Dinosaur age.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I know it took 2 years to find the black boxes for that Air France flight that crashed off the coast of Brazil in 2009 (very similar case; the plane just dissapeared off radar out of nowhere). I believe the main wreckage for that flight was found 5 days after the crash...although the first signs of wreckage (seats, other small pieces of the plane) started to be found the next day. We're going on 4 days without ANYTHING from this jet. Very strange for sure.

That jet crashed due to major mechanical failure and pilot error. I think this jet either crashed for those reasons or a terrorist bomb. Nothing else makes sense. Of course, not finding anything makes even less sense.

Hey, isnt this how "Lost" started? I also recall a Twilight Zone episode about an airliner that broke a time barrier and went back to the 1930s, and then the Dinosaur age.
    There are other worlds than these.
    Pardon, for us.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

But seriously, even if it was a terrorist attack (which, who terrorizes Malaysia?) there still should be a beacon transmitting from the black box even if that box is 10,000' under water.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

I can't imagine what the relatives must be feeling to not have a clue WTF is going on...just got this CNN email:

The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is probably not linked to terrorism, Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble told reporters today.

"The more information we get, the more we're inclined to conclude that it was not a terrorist incident," he said.
    what info is that?

saw a report on ABC today saying officials from various countries, including the US, do not feel Malaysia is being fully forthright with everything they know..maybe they need to keep some info close to the vest...but one of the things is how they have expanded the search to the opposite end of Malaysia without any real explanation as to why...

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I've always been skeptical about life on other planets but Brad has convinced me of the possibilities.

Anyway, anything I would say about this plane situation would be baseless speculation but I am interesting in hearing Maynerd's thoughts about plausible explanations.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I can't imagine what the relatives must be feeling to not have a clue WTF is going on...just got this CNN email:

what info is that?

saw a report on ABC today saying officials from various countries, including the US, do not feel Malaysia is being fully forthright with everything they know..maybe they need to keep some info close to the vest...but one of the things is how they have expanded the search to the opposite end of Malaysia without any real explanation as to why...
    Evidently they IDed one of the stolen passport guys as an Iranian trying to seek asylum in Germany who had no known terrorist connections. That might be part of what they're talking about there. I don't know.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/missing-mal...3.html#76nyKBZ
    The mystery surrounding the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has deepened with the Chinese media reporting that several of the passengers' mobile phones were connecting when called by relatives, but the calls were not picked up.
    The sister of one of the Chinese passengers among the 239 people on board the vanished flight rang his phone live on TV, the Mirror reports.
    "This morning, around 11:40 [am], I called my older brother's number twice, and I got the ringing tone," said Bian Liangwei, sister of one of the passengers. At 2pm, Bian called again and heard it ringing once more.
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Huh..
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

No sign of the jet or debris..now this with the phones...maybe this was a hi-jacking and not a crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    No sign of the jet or debris..now this with the phones...maybe this was a hi-jacking and not a crash.
    How would that explain it disappearing off radar, though?
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Frankly, a catastrophic explosion or an alien abduction seem to be the only explanations thus far that make any sense but considering that they've not found even one piece of debris, even the explosion doesn't sound all that likely.
    The only other one I can think of is the Odyssey of Flight 33. Not very likely.

At least one of the passengers traveling with a stolen passport appears to have had no ties to terrorist groups, at least as far as we know now: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/wo...t.html?hp&_r=0
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    How would that explain it disappearing off radar, though?
    Not to mention the fact that it still hasn't been located/no demands have been made, etc.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Yesterday it was reported that the two guys who boarded with the stolen passports were Asian. Today one of them is black and one is Iranian.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Wow. As if this story couldnt get any more strange. Either these people are lying, its some weird network failure, or there is something extremely weird going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Not to mention the fact that it still hasn't been located/no demands have been made, etc.
    I never said it was a valid hypothesis...lol. In reality, they are most likely not looking in the right place. From reading the waters are very shallow off the coast of Malaysia, unless they went way off course and went down in the Andaman Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

NYYF MVP

Flyertalk.com has their Wiki atop their thread, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...first-148.html

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    I never said it was a valid hypothesis...lol. In reality, they are most likely not looking in the right place. From reading the waters are very shallow off the coast of Malaysia, unless they went way off course and went down in the Andaman Sea
    But wouldn't they see that on radar? That's the most puzzling thing...that they disappeared from radar.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    nice reference john.

Thread Information