• D

4 4.44%
  • F

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Grade Cash's offseason so far (2013-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    If someone gave you half a billion dollars to spend as was given to Cash, you could have done the same job. Does that make you a shrewd GM?

Not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to understand why you're impressed with Cashman's ability to spend someone else's money.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Cashman, but to be fair, all GMs spend the owners' money as opposed to their own. They're all responsible for putting together a competitive roster. They all negotiate with agents to secure the right players. It might sound like an easy job, but I think it's a bit dismissive to suggest that I or any other fan off the street could have negotiated contracts with any of the players signed this offseason. I do hold Cashman responsible for the abysmal state of the minor league and developmental systems. But if the question is grading the offseason so far, I like the moves. And as GM, I'm giving Cashman his due credit.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Cashman, but to be fair, all GMs spend the owners' money as opposed to their own. They're all responsible for putting together a competitive roster. They all negotiate with agents to secure the right players. It might sound like an easy job, but I think it's a bit dismissive to suggest that I or any other fan off the street could have negotiated contracts with any of the players signed this offseason. I do hold Cashman responsible for the abysmal state of the minor league and developmental systems. But if the question is grading the offseason so far, I like the moves. And as GM, I'm giving Cashman his due credit.
    Exactly. Not sure what more anyone could expect from this off season.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

C for me. Unlike the 2008/9 offseason, I think we're spending very heavily for talent which isn't quite as reliable or elite as the price we're paying, McCann excepted. (Tanaka I'm not sure about, but I'm excited to see him pitch). Having gone down that route, I think he should - and he still could - move Gardner for a pitcher if possible, which is not yet done.

It does what the Yankees need to do in getting the team back to a contending area, which will hopefully reverse the attendance and revenue decline. I worry that we'll be back here again in 2-3 years' time, though, and be stuck in a nasty cycle of premium FA contracts with only a couple of years of quality really in them.

Previous commenters are right - it all starts with the farm system. Get more out of that, and the story becomes so much better for the future.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Exactly. Not sure what more anyone could expect from this off season.
    Apparently he was suppose to somehow acquire Chase Headley without giving up anything worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Apparently he was suppose to somehow acquire Chase Headley without giving up anything worthwhile.
    Trout too! Trout for Betances. Come on Cash get it done!
    Life is good!

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That poster wants Cashman gone as GM! He's probably going to stay negative on any of Cashman's moves until either of two things happens in the near future. He gets his preference that Cashman is fired or the Yankees have a good year in which the farm system shows some distinct improvement which allows Cashman to supplement the current Yankee roster or he's able to make some good trade(s) that improves the ball club and that the Yankees have a long run in the playoffs. Frankly, Cashman had a long run, he hasn't produced some of his stated goals after getting total baseball control in late 2005. Perhaps, it's time for a new direction, I just hope this year is a lot better for him than the prior 2-3 years which will mean the Yankee organization is in a better place.
    Of course I want Cashman gone, and this winter is yet another classic example why: The man is incapable of delivering a quality product within a structured (and generous) budget.

For two years, he knew that Hal's goal was to get payroll below $189 million for 2014. The long term benefits for doing so were massive.

All around the league, GM's such as Dombrowski, Daniels, Mozeliak, Friendman, etc are capable of building contending teams year in and year out while not exceeding the luxury tax threshold but Cashman couldn't even do it for one lousy year, even with A-Rod's contract off the books.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

I voted B. Could have gone C, but the fact that I believe the team has improved saved the B. I don't see how he could get an A.

All he's done is thrown money at people. McCann and Tanaka were no brainers given need. Ellsbury is a debatable signing and while Beltran is a great addition on paper, if those knees start barking, it could be a nightmare deal.

Matt Thornton is a terrible signing, I've said it since day one. I like Kelly Johnson on the team, but I think third base remains problematic. Brian Roberts is a waste of time and money. He's either going to be hurt/achy constantly or ineffective; I'd bet my job on it.

Additionally, there haven't been any creative moves via trade which drives me nuts. There were probably some opps out there to leverage value for need. (I don't know the inner workings of the negotiations, I'll admit that much)

It's not over though so I'll reserve complete judgment til things really wind down.

Of course I want Cashman gone, and this winter is yet another classic example why: The man is incapable of delivering a quality product within a structured (and generous) budget.

For two years, he knew that Hal's goal was to get payroll below $189 million for 2014. The long term benefits for doing so were massive.

All around the league, GM's such as Dombrowski, Daniels, Mozeliak, Friendman, etc are capable of building contending teams year in and year out while not exceeding the luxury tax threshold but Cashman couldn't even do it for one lousy year, even with A-Rod's contract off the books.
    What did you want them to do this offseason?

NYYF Legend

Graded a C, but just because of the splashes, really a D....

It is the wrong prism to look at the offseason as a slice of time. Cashman has been at the helm for years, obviously, and demanded the famous full authority a long time ago.

The 2014 Yankees still have holes. They spent half a billion dollars, and the infield has questions at 2B and 3B.(and if honest, SS) I also think we need another starter, (may as well sign Garza now, with $189 blown to smithereens.

We have the oldest team in the league, and the drafting and player development issues STILL remain, and they are far more important issues than just overwhelming free agents with dollars.

If Hal held to the $189M, and few of these moves were made, folks would be calling for Cashman's head.

I still think an unsustainable model, and Yanks have little relief coming, next years payroll commitments are massive.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post

I still think an unsustainable model,
    Unsustainable business wise or baseball wise?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    Unsustainable business wise or baseball wise?
    Baseball. Locking into long term deals, full NTC's, opt outs, and relying on the players needed to be available in correct years....the lack of skills in drafting and player development is really hindering the Yanks. Folks can point to all the years that we made the PS, etc....those days are over, meaning the core four, etc...the current roster is radically different.

I (like I am sure just about everyone) would prefer a mix....especially when it comes to age. Older players get injured, our injury risk is off the charts.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Baseball. Locking into long term deals, full NTC's, opt outs, and relying on the players needed to be available in correct years....the lack of skills in drafting and player development is really hindering the Yanks. Folks can point to all the years that we made the PS, etc....those days are over, meaning the core four, etc...the current roster is radically different.

I (like I am sure just about everyone) would prefer a mix....especially when it comes to age. Older players get injured, our injury risk is off the charts.
    OK, I thought you meant business wise. The business model is still booming. Everyone cries about the payroll but it's annually only about 5% of the franchise's assets which is pretty damn good considering the players are the main product!

Baseball wise, I couldn't agree more. The system needs to produce. I'm astonished how there haven't been more moves made in that department. How do they still have jobs? Excuses are always there if you need one, and they keep making them for themselves for whatever reason. Bottom line...we need results! The true unsustainable aspect is the age factor. We need that mix that you speak of to create balance.

Those same GMs have missed the playoffs too recently.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

He hasn't made any trades at all, and he hasn't made any changes (in talent, or personnel) to a farm system that has been anemic. I'm baffled how that type of performance can be considered anything but poor. I'm supposed to give Cashman credit for spending $500 million of his owner's money? Really?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that Cashman has nothing to show for this offseason if Hal doesn't give him a filthy amount of money to outspend his opponents?

Meanwhile, he wouldn't even trade Ichiro for JJ Putz when Arizona called him with that offer, yet the bullpen needs help, for crying out loud.

Was it a good offseason for Hal and the front office as a whole? Sure, because Hal invested a ton of money in the team, but I don't see how Cashman deserves any credit for that.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this...
    Zim -- I'm not going through the points because, you're right, we just disagree. But you do raise an interesting point -- judging Cashman's performance, as opposed to the Yankees FO (or even ownership) is basically impossible without knowing how things played out internally and how decisions were made.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

What did you want them to do this offseason?
    Good question! We all know the farm system is not where it needs to be, yet Cashman is suppose to make good trades using those resources. Cashman should get the blame for the farm system, but you can't make good trades without assets valued by other teams.

Good question! We all know the farm system is not where it needs to be, yet Cashman is suppose to make good trades using those resources. Cashman should get the blame for the farm system, but you can't make good trades without assets valued by other teams.
    Which is why when we are grading THIS offseason, judging him on what he had to work with THIS offseason, I think he did a solid job.

Like I said....people say "make trades, make trades!" yet they are the same ones who say we have zero pieces down on the farm. So if we have zero pieces, who are we suppose to deal? SD isnt going to just hand over Chase Headley for a bunch of minor league nobodies.

NYYF Legend

Which is why when we are grading THIS offseason, judging him on what he had to work with THIS offseason, I think he did a solid job.

Like I said....people say "make trades, make trades!" yet they are the same ones who say we have zero pieces down on the farm. So if we have zero pieces, who are we suppose to deal? SD isnt going to just hand over Chase Headley for a bunch of minor league nobodies.
    I don't get it. You're giving him a pass for not improving the team via trade because he had nothing to trade...yet it's his own fault he had nothing to trade!

I am by no means a Cashman hater. I just like to think I look at things more objectively than some other fans (not saying you).

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I don't get it. You're giving him a pass for not improving the team via trade because he had nothing to trade...yet it's his own fault he had nothing to trade!

I am by no means a Cashman hater. I just like to think I look at things more objectively than some other fans (not saying you).
    If this were grading Cashman's overall performance then the farm system most definitely is a knock against him. But as this is a grade for this off-season only, what could be have done in the past 3 months to improve the system or what could be have done differently that be didn't. Again if it is an overall grade, I have been as vocal as any against him.
    Life is good!

Yes it is his fault, I agree. That doesnt have anything to do with this particular offseason though. Thats grading him on past errors.

I am strictly grading him on his ability to improve the 2014 team, with what he had to work with the past several months. Not mistakes he made in previous years with the farm system. If you want to take everything thats happened since he got "control" over player development and grade him on that? Then I would give him a significantly lower grade.

NYYF Legend

I gave him a B but that grade should also apply to ownership for some how not being able to sign Cano. Last year the Yanks , I believe, used over 50 players during the course of a full season. I wonder how many they will use if key players like Jeter, Tex, and Elsbury go down to injury? Where would the replacements come from if the farm system is so mediocre?

I guess you can ding Cashman for not having a good farm system and then ding him again for not making any good trades because he doesn't have the necessary prospects, teams want in return to make such a trade. Either way, Cashman, Newman, Oppenheimer and Roessler have 2014 to turn it around, whether we like it or not.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If this were grading Cashman's overall performance then the farm system most definitely is a knock against him. But as this is a grade for this off-season only, what could be have done in the past 3 months to improve the system or what could be have done differently that be didn't. Again if it is an overall grade, I have been as vocal as any against him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    Yes it is his fault, I agree. That doesnt have anything to do with this particular offseason though. Thats grading him on past errors.

I am strictly grading him on his ability to improve the 2014 team, with what he had to work with the past several months. Not mistakes he made in previous years with the farm system. If you want to take everything thats happened since he got "control" over player development and grade him on that? Then I would give him a significantly lower grade.
    Ok, I won't win this battle, considering I've made my points with regards to money spent. You guys don't seem to realize that you also would receive these A and B grades as the GM of the Yankees if you were in his place, having the ability to spend $500M. That should tell you all you need to know.

Ok, I won't win this battle, considering I've made my points with regards to money spent. You guys don't seem to realize that you also would receive these A and B grades as the GM of the Yankees if you were in his place, having the ability to spend $500M. That should tell you all you need to know.
    Except a few of those guys could've signed elsewhere since teams are rolling in TV money.

What would he have had to do this offseason to get a B from you? Again, considering what he had to work with, what exactly did he do wrong? He got the best FA pitcher on the market. He signed two OF'ers. He wisely didnt chase Cano past a certain point.

I mean....if you told me back in November that this is how the offseason would have played out? I would have been rather content. Dissapointed Cano is gone, but okay with why he is gone. I still would like some more IF help, and maybe a pen arm...which is why I gave him a B. But the major moves are done.

NYYF Legend

Except a few of those guys could've signed elsewhere since teams are rolling in TV money.
    He gave Ellsbury the biggest offer, Tanaka the biggest offer (I read a quote from Cash this morning that he was told they had the high bid, so we can put that rumor to bed) and Beltran would have given up his left nut to be a Yankee for almost ten years now.

Thread Information